Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athletics 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,683 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

I would agree with this.

I would add that its condescending - its pretty well documented how extensive doping is, there have been long discussions in the past on boards on Irish athletes that have doped, never mind any international athlete that isnt Russian. We are hardly coming at this from a position of ignorance.

But obviously at this point on boards a comment is only challenged when its 'reported'.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,813 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

I wouldn't be so sure that Ciara is not a medal contender for the Worlds next year. Her form in the Commonwealth, Euros and two Diamond League races this year would very much put her in contention for a top 5-6 finish and maybe even get on the podium.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Splits from last night

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

Very interesting data there. I'm surprised to see she was only 0.3 behind with 200 to go. Must watch the race again. Someone on here was saying 'Maybe she should have tracked FK closer' but that suggests she did.

I do think people are getting a tiny bit carried away as well, even if it's understandable. CM would need an unbelievable run, and Kipyegon would need a bad night for the positions to be reversed. We're talking a double Olympic champion at the distance.

Closing in 58.7 for Ciara showed real strength, it would be interesting to see how she would go over 3000m indoors where she might be able to grind the kick out of some of the sit and kickers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Folks, a reminder that if there are posts in a thread you have a problem with please do report them. Just because you have reported a post in the past that wasn't actioned does not mean you do not report the posts again in the future. The mods review all reports, we may not agree with your viewpoint in one report but that doesn't mean we will not the next time or we will not if a number of reports come in.

We may be posting in a thread without reading all posts. Don't expect that because mods or admin are posting in a thread they have read all the recent posts in the same thread, particularly in megathreads. We are busy and have our own lives too :) Indeed, we may have even read all the posts and not picked up the same veiled messages in it which others may - report them so we can attempt to read them through other people's eyes.

You all know the rules, we do not want to shut down discussions or be biased towards particular athletes by shutting down any discussion on them, there is a very, very thin line between allowing discussion on the performance of athletes and outright accusations and we are never going to get it right for everyone.

Its me who said that.

I suppose its always hard to say watching the race how much any athlete has left in the tank.

Watching the Euro 800m final, I thought Mark English got trapped in behind the Spanish runner and that maybe it stopped him pushing for a higher medal...but then in the interview afterwards he said he was hanging on for dear life.

In the race on Thursday, Ciara overtook Hailu in the final strait which is good going in its own right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

A couple of weeks old but worth a post.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,623 ✭✭✭dna_leri

Great interview with Ciara on Citius Mag podcast with Kyle Merber:

https://youtu.be/kzoqUlTE3rI

Also on spotify

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Suppose a World Record is worthy of a mention?!

Tigist Assefa runs the 3rd fastest women's marathon of all time

Assefa ran 2:34 on her debut in Riyadh back in March. Started her career as a 400m runner and has never ran a track 5k or 10k. This is quite the leap, so I do hope it's all above board.

• Advertisement

• Go Japan, don't think they will be winning many but an impressive performance from their guys.

Ciara Mageean: NI athlete says doping questions after breaking Irish record were 'crushing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭Ceepo

While the question might have been crushing she should hardly be suprised given the history of athletics. She does make the point that athletes are held to account and imo are tested far more that most other sports save for cycling, it shouldn't be a suprise that some people will ask questions.

And I'd also be of the opinion that these questions should be ask, most journalists are afraid to even mention doping across all sports.

Yep, as disappointing as the questions raised may have been for Ciara, it unfortunately comes with the terriorty. If a Kenyan of a similar age took that much time off their PB then I'd certainly have raised an eyebrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 759 ✭✭✭marathon2022

The questions should be asked but don't be a coward hiding behind an anonymous account on some website. Show yourself and your credentials. Otherwise back under your bridge and leave it to the sporting body to carry our due diligence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Just wondering if this a general comment or directed at someone specific?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,899 ✭✭✭deisedude

Cathal Dennehy had a very good article a few weeks back about how athletics and cycling get a bad rap for drugs which is fair but at least they are trying to clean up the sport whereas other sports like soccer don't seem to even bother. The most popular sport in the world with the most money on offer and you never hear of drug cheats. Funny that

Exact same with tennis. Every once in a while they'll find someone down in the 400's to make it seem like they're making an effort, but otherwise, shove it all under the carpet.

Well, as I was the person who got this ball rolling - on an anonymous Message Board - I presume it's directed at me. But as it's so ridiculous, it doesn't bother me in the least. There is a fear here of mentioning doping which I find stunning. My point was, if this was an athlete from almost anywhere else in the world, a lot of 'us'/Irish would be asking questions. But as CM is Irish we don't.

I'm not a coward and I'm not hiding behind an anonymous account. I'm curious and if I had access to CM as a journalist say, I'd ask "How do you explain this huge improvement at this age in an event you've been running for about 10 years?" Personally, I think that's a valid and necessary question.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

If only there were other data points to consider than her PB in Doha and her PB in Brussels. Wait, there is! She set an 800m PB in 2020, and a 3000m PB this year. So we should really have expected PBs in 2020 and 2021, but they didn't happen for various reasons (niggles, illness and the not inconsiderable loss of her mentor, Jerry Kiernan). So she packed 3 years' improvement into this year. It was coming.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15 MichiganIrish

Exactly! She also ran a great 1000m of 2.31 in 2020 along with the 1.59 800m. That kind of form suggested that she could have run 3.58 or so back then in the right 1500m race. Further improvement at 800m (1.59.0 in a mixed race) this year and at 3000m and you would have expected 3.57 or so in a well-paced race.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Snodge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Any chance of this being livestreamed do you reckon? Bit far for a Sunday drive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 44 TeaTotal

Great races. Griggs and Casey in Junior race was brilliant.

looks like we have some strong teams for euros

Some fantastic races there. Sorry to say, but the Mens Senior spoiled a little by the amount of lapped runners. Jaysus, they were weaving in and around dozens of lads. I'm a believer in elites Vs elites and the rest of us...... in a different race.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 TeaTotal

I think the laps were just too short. 2k per lap instead of 1500m would have been better. Felt sorry for the leaders over the last few laps having to run through so many people

A nice little story here on CM.

I remember one year at the Great Ireland Run, the 'elite women' went out ahead of the 'elite men' - now there were some very average runners in the 'elite women' section.....anyway, Kenenisa Bekele is appearing, arguably greatest mid distance runner ever & tearing up the field. In the final 200m he is just running past and through dozens and dozens of women plodding along. Was a strange spectacle.

• Advertisement

Line up for this years Euro Cross Country looks very strong to me, especially at underage - Efrem Gidey, Darragh McElhinney, Sarah Healy @U23 and Griggs & Casey in U20.....

Notable also no Fionnualla McCormack - she's been on the team for almost 20 years anow.

Advertisement