Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athletics 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭Hamachi

She is a trooper. She is making incremental strides forward year on year.

You think she has a chance to make the final at World Indoors?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,427 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

New Canadian and American records over 5,000. They look comfortable, even after separating from the others, then boom.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭E.coli

Rhasidat Adeleke split 51.71 in 4x400 overnight to following up a 22.87 200m.

Collegiate schedule aside (would rule out World Indoors) summer should lead a lightning fast 4x400m on the women for Europeans with 4 women under 54 already this indoor season

That 3.34 NR could be in serious jeopardy

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭Ceepo

Holy smoke Grant Fisher running 12.53 with a 3.57 last mile and Mark Scott 12.57 Just wow.

Savage times for indoor 5000m.

Technology (shoes and track) definitely playing a part in running times now. I guess it's the new reality

• Advertisement

Really, correcting me over less than a second. 4 out of the 10 fastest times ever indoor in that race

1. Kenenisa Bekele 12:49.60

2. Haile Gebrselassie 12:50.38

3. Daniel Komen 12:51.48

4. Isiah Koech 12:53.29

5. Grant Fisher 12:53.73

6. Eliud Kipchoge 12:55.72

7. Mohammed Ahmed 12:56.87

8. Marc Scott 12:57.08

9. Thomas Longosiwa 12:58.67

10. Emmanuel Bor 13:00.48

3.57.6 at 1600m so I suppose you're right, my bad🙄

Apologies lack of sleep recently, misread your original comment and missed you already added that the closing mile that's what I get for trying to add more context to what a performance it was. My bad

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Good meet coming up tomorrow night in Lievin. Tsegay set the indoor 1500m world record there last year, she'll be taking on the mile record this time. Jakob is racing the 1500m whilst Barega, Girma, Wale and Katir will run the 3000m. Entry lists here, live stream here! Starts at 7.45 pm tomorrow night.

This summer could be an epic match up between himself and Axel Christensen both are absolutely tearing up the track at European level at the moment. No 5,000/10,000 option for Christensen either so I imagine he will opt for the 3k rather than 2k steeple

• Advertisement

Indoor 1500m WORLD RECORD for Jakob Ingebrigtsen! 3:30.60.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Hadn't realised his auld lad had stepped away from coaching

Oh dear, Tsegay falls about 20 seconds into her WR attempt and kills it dead. She didn't look particularly interested in the flowers or 'Meeting Record' placard she was presented with 😬

Blessing Okagbare banned for ten years.

More big news, Britain officially stripped of their 4x100m relay Olympic silver medal after Ujah failed his test. Harsh for the other three, clean guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭4Ad

Athletics from Birmingham on BBC Red Button or on Youtube

Terrific run by Sarah Healy in Birmingham to finish second in the 1500m. Her time of 4.0.6.9x just missed Ciara Mageean’s NR. It’s looking like 2022 could be a breakthrough year for her.

Andrew Coscoran was very disappointing in the men’s 1500m. He finished well down the field outside 3.40. After his fantastic win in Staten Island, I expected a big performance from him. He seems to struggle for consistency.

Huge pb for David Mansfield in Saville this morning. 2.16.08, taking 3 minutes off his previous best.

Surprised this never got a mention yesterday

Some future ahead! The rivalry between her and Mu will be great to watch over the coming years.

• Advertisement

Keely Hodgkinson is a phenomenal talent. Jenny Meadows, who is involved in her coaching, mentioned that she tore her quad recently. She believes that Keely could have run a second or two faster, had her training not been interrupted.

Athing Mu will have a serious rival in the coming years for sure.

Article from a few days ago but only saw it yesterday. Leon Reid avoids jail, aims to continue with athletics career.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,164 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Rhasidat Adeleke won her section of the 400m final in the Big 12, clocking 52.33. She finished 3rd overall. Davicia Patterson won the 600yds.

Molly Scott takes back the Irish National Record with a 7.19 at National Seniors following the re run of the final

Great to see Irish women’s sprinting reaching new heights.

On a related note, Phil Healy also ran 51:75 in the 400m final, just 0.01 seconds outside her recent PB. She’s getting consistent in the 51:7x range. If she can drop another couple of tenths of a second of her PB in Belgrade, she could be knocking on the door of the final in Belgrade.

Post edited by Hamachi on

Josh Kerr ran 3.48.8 in Boston University indoor meet. Savage running. He's going to have to be in contention for world indoors at that rate if he deicides to go. It will be a busy year with Euro, World and Commonwealth games on.

Edit to say Kerr broke Coughlan's european record that stood for 39 years. No fancy shoes back then!

Post edited by Ceepo on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Hard to know what to make of it all with the shoes and fast tracks

Track is plenty interesting now with the new stars emerging

I'm in not doubt that track and shoe technology has came on a long way, and to be honest it doesn't bother me to much. We probably just need to have a mind shift around standard's now.

The point I was making really was how good Coughlan's time was, and other athletes in that era, that it took almost 40 yeas to break it. Kerr went through 1500m in 3.32.8. That's a time that still stands up well even by today's standard.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Ya of course sure Cram , Coe , Ovett would be competing for global gold today and prob running 1-40/3-26

Agree on the times they've just shifted because of the technology, merely requires a mental adjustment

• Advertisement

All Russian and Belarusian athletes excluded from World Athletics Series events for the foreseeable future with immediate affect. If left to stand that means no entry into Oregon, World Indoors or World Race Walking Team Champions. Not sure if it applies to the Diamond League.

Advertisement