Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athletics 2022

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,640 ✭✭✭Hamachi

I know it’s not fair to single out a particular athlete, but I’m really not sure why Athletics Ireland continue selecting Siofra Cleirigh-Buttner.

She clearly doesn’t have the temperament to compete at this level. Why not give somebody like Georgie Hartigan a shot, who is in good form and seems like she could give a decent account of herself?

The two 1500m guys were pretty poor too. Andrew Coscoran put himself in the mix, but just didn’t have it at the end. Fair play to Sarah Lavin for raising her game and producing PBs when it truly matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Best interview in along time 🤣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,739 ✭✭✭4Ad

Miller-Uibo is such a great runner, she controlled the race from the start. She was hardly panting at the end.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Brilliant day for Sarah Lavin, two consecutive PB's to qualify for the final and end up in 7th place. Hopefully something to build on.

Delighted to see Jacobs beat the test-dodger 😎 Also hopefully puts to bed any notions of Tokyo being a fluke.

Something of a surprise to see Garcia take the men's 800m title. Well at least to me anyway, he wasn't on my radar at all. Not the first time we've seen Marco Arop go out too hard only to then get swallowed up by the pack. Led most of the race and ended up being dead last.

Easy enough for Miller-Uibo in the women's 400m, was never really troubled at any stage. Delighted to see Bol take the silver, she was always running for second place.

Agreed on Marcel Jacobs. He seems like a nice guy too, not carrying around a huge ego. Coleman was like a spoiled child in his after-race interviews.

Garcia wasn’t a surprise to me. He destroyed Bryce Hoppel over the last lap in the Grand Prix in Staten Island last month. He clearly has plenty of pace.

I usually prefer the women’s 400m vs. the men’s, but the latter was more exciting this time around. Nice run by Jereem Richards to run 45-flat indoors. Three guys under 45.40 is impressive. I’m a big fan of Femke Bol, but the media hyped her up far too much. She’s very talented, but never stood a chance against SMU in a flat 400m. Having said that, I reckon she is capable of running 49.xx outdoors and could potentially medal if she ever chooses to abandon the hurdles.

Biggest surprise for me is the American girl who took bronze in the 60m- Mary Beth Sant Price. Never heard of her before and she doesn’t look like a typical sprinter. She’s very slight, with little muscle tone compared to somebody like Svoboda or Kambundgi. Interesting to see if she can carry that form over to 100m outdoors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,187 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Fantastic effort from the 4x4 women. A huge new indoor record, but just missed out on the final. The men just missed out too.

A whopper of a world record for Rojas in the Triple jump. Beyond her own outdoor record.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 56,599 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Any channels showing the worlds?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭Ceepo

BBC 2 showing the final session at 3.30 today.

• Advertisement

YouTube is live streaming it. No annoying studio chats or interviews.

Grant Holloway is ridiculous!

Phil Healy ran a storming anchor leg. Almost caught the Jamaican on the line. All four women ran very well. Really great to see the Irish girls mixing it with world and Olympic medalists like Jamaica and Poland.

The men were very unlucky too. Brian Gregan ran a good third leg and Chris O’Donnell ran a terrific anchor. Gutted they just missed out.

Delighted for Ajee Wilson to finally get a world title, especially after being shut off the pole position for years by intersex athletes. I had kinda wondered if she was past her best already, but this weeks suggests a different story. Looking forward to seeing her battling it out with Mu and Hodgkinson in the coming months. Lovey finish by Hailu to get the silver also.

Bit surprised that Jakob was beaten in the 1500 but nothing wrong with a silver medal. He looked a bit flummoxed when he had no one to chase, and when he hadn't dropped Tefera with 400m to go I knew it was all over.

Entertaining race as always in the men's 3000m, it's one of my favourite distances to watch. Third consecutive silver medal for Girma at a major championship, I'm sure he'll be winning gold some day.

Overall a pretty good weekend of athletics, Sarah Lavin making the final was definitely the highlight from an Irish perspective. Looking forward to the outdoor season now!

Bit surprised that Jakob was beaten in the 1500 but nothing wrong with a silver medal. He looked a bit flummoxed when he had no one to chase, and when he hadn't dropped Tefera with 400m to go I knew it was all over.

He reported a positive antigen test after the race. Might help explain why he said he felt shite during the race

Some decent 10k times from the states, Laajdei breaks greelys u20 record at last.

Barry Keane 28'15 '60 (misses euro Q by .60!)

Brian Fay 28'22'31

ferghal Curtin 28'25'43

David Mcgylnn 29'04'92

https://results.flashresults.com/2022_03-24_RaleighRelays/028-1-01.htm

Very quite around these parts lately.

I believe the DTC gang of Tobin, Robinson, Tonosa and Coscoran are attempting to break the world mile record set in 1985 by Coughlan, Flynn, O Meara and O Sullivan at the Penn Relays this evening.

Michael Power is down to run Payton Jordan 1500m at the weekend as well. Should be a big pb for him there.

In other news I see AI have made a few selections for the walk and Marathon for the European championships. The have extended the deadline as well, selected so far are

Brendan Boyce Finn Valley 35km Walk

Fionnuala McCormack Kilcoole AC Marathon

Aoife Cooke Eagle AC Marathon

Ann Marie McGlynn Letterkenny AC Marathon

Kevin Seaward St Malachy's AC Marathon

Hugh Armstrong Ballina AC Marathon.

I hear Paul Pollock is running Belfast with the aim of getting the QT as well.

Nice pb for Michael Power 3.40.9

Cormac Dalton ran 13.43

The mile record will stand for another while. Great run from Sean 3.55, the others failed to break 4 minutes. Tonosa 4.00 and disappointing runs from the milers Coscoran 4.07 and Robinson 4.06..

Next up for Sean is 10000m in California on May 6th

Edit, Apologies It was actually Coscoran that ran 3.55. Sean ran 4.00

Post edited by Ceepo on

• Advertisement

Pollock 2.16.13 in Belfast.

This puts him behind David Mansfield (2.16.09) time wise for selection on the ranking times.

No going to lie, I'd love to see David getting a slot. AI informed him he need to run the QT before the original deadline which would have gave him approx 6 weeks after Saville to get it. He deicide to hold tough.

I'd hate to think that the deadline was extended to facilitate certain athletes but the skeptic in me says other wise.

Good day for Eilish McColgan, bad for Mo Farah.

Although it's not exactly surprising, the man is 39, but seems some factions of the British media seem to be clinging it hope he can have one last golden farewell?

Diamond League kicks off in two minutes time! Tune in to BBC 2 from 5pm or watch the YouTube stream here. Startlists/schedules are here.

Think I'm looking forward to the women's 3000m the most, should be a great duel between Niyonsaba and Kipyegon. I wonder if a sub 8:20 could be on the cards?

Just sat down to watch and it's a very windy night in Doha, so looks like we won't be getting a lot of fast times.

Great day for Louise Shanahan, runs a sub 2 to take down Ciara Mageean's 800m Irish record!

Post edited by yerwanthere123 on

Dean Casey broke the national junior 10000m record again! It lasted for 50 years and now it's been broken twice in the space of a few weeks, by two different athletes.

Rhasidat Adeleke goes to equal 4th all-time at 400m tonight, running 51.70 at the Big 12 Championships in Lubbock, Texas.

Wow. What a race and two Irish women sub-2. Amazing.

• Advertisement

Sophie Becker also ran 52.24 in Belfast yesterday and is surely trending towards 51:xx. Phil Healy ran 51:50 last season and will go faster this year given her indoor form. Combine that with Sharlene Mawdsley who ran 51:70 last season and you have a pretty solid 4x400m team.

Roisin Harrison ran 53.12 indoors and can surely run 52:xx outdoors. Cliodhna Manning also has 52:xx potential. That’s a pretty incredible crop of 400m runners in such a small country.

Advertisement