Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spare wheel

• 01-01-2022 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭

Hi, Has anyone managed tofit a spare wheel into a 2020 Kona EV.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,744 ✭✭✭10-10-20

No, but I did consider it last week.

I had a flat on the motorway last week, I hit something and the tyre lost pressure over 2km. I used that Hyundai repair kit to seal and reinflate the tyre and despite losing about 100ml through the hole on the tarmac at the side of the road, the fix held sufficiently for the 5km for me to get to a tyre shop and have it repaired.

Tyre shop used a plug and had the job complete within 6 mins, but it brought home the fact that if I had obtained the puncture on - let's say Christmas day - I'd have been snookered and looking for the AA to tow the car. Additionally, the replacement canister of sealant from Hyundai is supposed to be silly-money. I have that tyre-weld sealant in the car now - it's the same latex-based compound as Hyundai provide, and according to the manufacturer, the tyre does not need to be replaced afterwards unless it's physically damaged from the puncture.

Back to the question... I believe that a spare is a very easy fit - the tyre-well is physically present in my 192 Kona, the only concerns that I'd have are around the additional weight loading as Hyundai didn't design the spare for the EV at ~1,800kg. Also I don't know if the spare tie-down points are present on the EV.

Advertisement