Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wired internet connection in apartment

Options
  • 01-01-2022 4:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,252 ✭✭✭

My son will be in the Netherlands for 4 months ,he has a apartment sorted, the apartment has internet but states wired only, presumably he will need a Ethernet cable to plug into socket then into his laptop, my question can this Ethernet connection be connected to some sort of adaptor to make it wireless ,thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭Deregos.

Not an expert but I'd of thought if he was to plug in a router it would create a wireless signal. The TP Link routers are very user friendly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭smuggler.ie

Careful there with plugging "router".

Insufficient info, but statement "internet already there for wired connection" might indicate that it is shared from adjacent apartment, etc. and DHCP supposedly already there. By introducing secondary "router" you might kill whole network or cause other network issues.

You could use it if you set your "router" in AP(access point) mode or get dedicated AP device.

Again, more detail needed about what is present there.

Advertisement