Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding a storey

Options
  • 01-01-2022 8:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 45

I have an end of terrace bungalow. All the other houses in the row are two storey. I'd like to add a storey, to bring my property up to the same height as my neighbour's. It is a simple rectangular footprint, approx 90m2.

I'd like to add three bedrooms and a bathroom upstairs (the new bathroom would be directly above the current bathroom).

Any thoughts on budgeting costs? Or pitfalls from experience? I am assuming (subject to review), that the foundations are fit for purpose and that an application for planning would be favourably reviewed.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

That's going to be very expensive. Adding an additional story is the most expensive way you could possibly extend and the additional weight is huge, even timber frame. If you had a detached house you could find ways but you share a party wall and foundations. If you're foundations settle a mm from the massive weight you'll get cracks in the neighbours house. I can't see how you'd find an engineer to sign off on that without some serious costly structural work. I wouldn't be surprised if they wanted a floating box on columns so the weight didn't transfer to the existing walls and foundations.

Outside did a hole someplace at the side of the house down until you find the foundation and ask a structural engineer to all around. They'll tell you pretty quickly if it's a runner.

Advertisement