Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Portuguese Laurel brown leaf

Options
  • 01-01-2022 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭

Folks, is this mildew or leaf shot? I don't think it's frost damage due to the formation and telltale white growth paterns on the dead parts and as its only on two plants, which are probably the most shaded from the sun. If it is mildew, can I apply a topical treatment to improve the plant coming into spring?

Other plants clearly have leaf-shot, but the extent isnt concerning.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭macraignil

There is likely to be more than one type of fungus on the leaves that don't look healthy but your laurel look in good health overall with most of the growth being green and healthy. You could just remove the badly effected leaves and dispose of them and that would reduce the chance of more leaves becoming infected with whatever fungi are growing on them. I have only the one Portuguese laurel and it also produces some unhealthy looking leaves but I have just picked them off occasionally and it continues to produce new healthy green ones and is getting stronger as it settles into where it is planted. I don't trust chemical treatments in my own garden so can't recommend any but I have also read they are not particularly effective. Healthy soil requires fungi to help with nutrient cycling and there are beneficial fungi that directly help our plants that would also be damaged by fungicides if we decide to introduce them to our gardens. I think if you just focus on keeping the laurel healthy then they should outgrow this leaf issue and even if it does not disappear completely it will not be very noticeable with the plants producing new healthy growth. For laurels I have read comments from experienced gardeners that they actually do better when left a bit neglected and do not need addition fertilizer or watering to grow well. Whenever I have seen mildew in my own garden it has gone away on its own and I have read it can be just a sign the plant has been under some form of stress.

Happy gardening!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Fair points about the chemical treatments. I'll pick off those leaves and burn them. I suspect that the issue will be less prominent in the future once the plants grow over that North-facing wall as they are shaded continuously at this time of year.

Thanks for the feedback.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I would agree with M. I don't generally worry too much about a bit of disease on a healthy plant as it tends to resolve itself. I would cut off and burn those wilted looking leaves but otherwise leave them to it, they look fine.

I got this on my Portuguese Laurel last year but it just worked its way through it without any need for treatment. I put it down to the very hot weather last July and being stressed by drought, but it has bounced back and is as healthy as ever now. As the above posters have said, not much point worrying about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Yes, my outbreak is specific to the two smallest plants in the most shaded position and wasn't present before December of this year. Those two plants didn't grow as well as the others with only 12cm growth where others attained between 25 to 40cm of growth in the same period. I'm sure that they will survive the outbreak, but I'm just keen to give them the best possible outcome come spring as the hedge is to become a privacy screen.

Hoping for strong growth in 2022! Thanks again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement