Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying in Ireland or france

Options
  • 02-01-2022 4:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi, I am in the market to purchase a camper, I wonder if anyone can point out any pit falls for my situation, I have a place in france and Ireland and probably spend 6-7 months in Ireland the rest in france these months are not consecutive, longest time in one location would be france for 3 months of summer, my purchase will be left hand drive, but concern about registration and insurance, as I will use it in both countries, cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭niloc1951

You will have to register it, and pay relevant taxes, in the country in which you are normally resident and you can only be normally resident in one country nhttps://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/money_and_tax/tax/moving_country_and_taxation/tax_residence_and_domicile_in_ireland.html

If the vehicle is registered in Ireland you will have to bring it back every year for it CVRT which can only be done in its country of registration.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Staggy

Thank you, For that it appears I should register it here, but not 100% clear to me, I will pay more here in Ireland for purchase, tax etc or if I buy in france I will be liable for duty here, which is also another bone of contention

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭The Ging and I

Buy and insure it in France. Just try get your control technique to be at at time that you are normally here. if you dont have the French, open a bank account with one of the bigger banks as a non resident and they (mostly ) have English speaking account managers. They in turn will sort your insurance.

Thanks for that, can I ask why you think I should get the control technique done here, or am I reading you wrong

I have read your suggestion again, and I took here as Ireland as I am there at present, but I think I was wrong and you meant here as in france.🤪 cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,984 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If you register it in France you can never drive it in Ireland, Irish residents can't drive non Irish registered vehicles in Ireland except for a few very limited reasons. So if you plan on using it here and you are resident here it needs to be registered here.

Its cheaper and easier to keep it French. Unless you are leaving it parked up in a high profile place (on a main road etc)

I dont see a problem. I drive in Ireland on French plates and never queried or stopped. Left hand drive in Ireland will get enough grief from the insurance alone. Theres no road tax in France .

You've been lucky. Get stopped by revenue and you've a nice fine and the VRT to be paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,308 ✭✭✭alias no.9

There's no insurance penalty on an LHD camper in Ireland, camper insurance policies are typically a flat rate.

Sorry to ask, but If I register in france, and insure there, should I consider a second policy to insure it here in Ireland, as I could be here in Ireland for a 2-3 month stay, or would the French policy cover a stay that long, mind you I have heard French insurance is crap compared to Irish, especially if you have a claim, by I don’t have any experience of it yet, I have house insurance there, and have bills all year round from my house and have a French bank account, feel like a bit of numbskul on this but really appreciate the advice

• Advertisement

You can't have a 2nd policy and if you are Irish resident you can't drive it here on French plates. If you never intend to drive it in Ireland you can leave it on French plates with French insurance and drive anywhere else in the EU/EEA. If you want to drive it here you need to have Irish plates.

Do you have a French bank account ? If not open one with one of the bigger ones as most have English speaking account managers who can advise you on car/house insurance.

Advertisement