Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How about we ban spray paint?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,597 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

First they came for the spray paint and I didn't speak out...

Then they came for the paint brushes and I didn't speak out...

Then they came for the chalk and I didn't speak out...

Then they came for markers and I didn't speak out...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,527 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

This happened before spray paint was a thing, and all by one man before sunrise. Mic dropped...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,527 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

It's only graffiti if it comes from the Graffio region of Italy, anything else is just sparkling vandalism.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

You should see Rome..... That place is DESTROYED by graffiti. I actually enjoy decent street-art but Rome is FAR worse than here. It's disgusting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭blackbox

There's people think that banning is the solution to everything:

Dogshite on pavements - ban dogs.

Graffiti on walls - ban paint.

Cycling on footpath - ban bikes.

Ban smoking.

Ban alcohol.

Ban gambling.

Ban gardening.

Ban cars.

Ban ban ban

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,160 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Spray paint HAS a practical use so, yes, you did say this... In the thread title... In this very post.

Not banning paint, just spray paint.

There ARE laws against graffiti y'know. Now, enforcing that: How to enforce better, penalties, jurisdiction, responsibility etc is a whole different thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Dramatik

The urban environment is probably just as much of a problem as the sale of spraypaint when it comes to graffiti. The seasoned tagger will mostly seek a location where their work is less likely to be removed, such as unkept properties and areas. Once a place is tagged it creates a domino effect, with the next offender tagging close by the first and so on, spreading out over a large area and interlocking with others.

It doesn't necessarily have to be something large such a derelict factory, it can be a simple, like a shop that hasn't had any tenants for a few months. The majority of the time you can trace back these areas with high amounts of graffiti to unkept properties. The only real exception to this, that I can think of, are areas close by to a train line, which are natural hotspot due to their visibility factor.

The only real solution to graffiti that seems to work in some cases, is graffiti. By that I mean work that is legally painted, mural work, especially if it is done by someone known in the graffiti scene, as some taggers are less likely to paint over other graffiti work.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

OP, have you considered just imposing a minimum price on spray cans instead?

Advertisement