Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LegacyUser

Options
  • 02-01-2022 5:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭the celtic tiger

What exactly is this account: https://www.boards.ie/profile/discussions/LegacyUser

It has posted 166k posts from February 1998 til December 2021, has no join date or last active date, has 0 visits, and the topics it writes seem to be completely unrelated to each other.

I understand this isn’t a serious matter but I really wonder - who is this guy?!

Cheers

Post edited by Spear on

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,302 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

I'm not entirely sure, but I suspect it's an amalgamation of what used to be the anonymous posts under the vbulletin system. None of the posts go past the start of last July, just prior to the migration.

• Registered Users Posts: 842 ✭✭✭the celtic tiger

Maybe. I’ve found posts from it as far back as 1998, so it’s definitely something strange.

If it is a “stand in” account for the old Anonymous posts, it’s a strange (and unclear) way to do it. Surely the naming could be a bit better and clarity on what it is.

• I think it’s actually a mash up of ALL users who were anon or deleted their accounts before the change?

one of the threads all the replies are from “LegacyUser” but clearly not one person speaking to themselves, in the satellite forum which to my knowledge didn’t allow anon posting?

i suspect the amalgamation theory is correct, but rather than just being anon users, it’s basically anyone that couldn’t be tied to an account for some reason.

could be Vbulletin stopped keeping unique user IDs once accounts were closed for a particular period.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,302 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Deleted or closed accounts should have unique usernames even if they're random junk, and be suitable for migration. And the old and deleted accounts are still present. The vast majority of the posts seem to correspond to anon posts. But there is a few odd ones in there. That satellite one is odd, and seems to have been mangled as well, so I'm not sure what went on with that one. There's also what looks to be a blank post from it in the mods forum.

So aside from the past anon stuff, it may have been used as a dumping ground for a handful of posts. Only the office can really explain what they were doing with it.

• Boards.ie Employee Posts: 12,597 ✭✭✭✭✭Boards.ie: Niamh
    Boards.ie Community Manager

They are all of the anonymous/guest posts from vBulletin. Vanilla doesn't offer the same feature so it has grouped them all as one user, LegacyUser.

i suspect the amalgamation theory is correct, but rather than just being anon users, it’s basically anyone that couldn’t be tied to an account for some reason.

This is possible correct too, it may include closed accounts from before the move as well.

• Advertisement
Advertisement