Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Put outside lights in soffit

Options
  • 03-01-2022 1:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭

Hi, I have an older house with an ugly broken light above the front door that is in the soffit. Would it be much work for an electrician to remove that and put in a few spotlights in the soffit? No experience with anything like this!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,596 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Generally this is straightforward enough. Difficult to say definitely without seeing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I think it be pretty straightforward as long as lights not too far apart... i am wondering how modern lights would look on an older house...

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭spongbob

how many Led down lights/ spot lights can you install soffit / switch, i think 10 is a limit, anybody know for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 201 ✭✭JL spark

As many as you want , depending on circuit design,

ie, Wattage ,loop impedance,Breaker size ,cable run etc

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭spongbob

a guy i know said you can have up to 10 per light switch, if you wanted 30 down lights in the soffit you would need to run 3 separate circuits back to the fuse board? I am not sure, I am not a sparky

would he be right? say 30 led downlights with each led @ 5w each ? on a 1.5mm t&e cable

• Advertisement
Advertisement