Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

When's calving starting 2022

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,116 ✭✭✭minerleague

Maybe I'm wrong on this but if cow only has small amount I assume its more concentrated, often had a cow with small amounts and no harm came to calf. Also if calf has 1 or 2 feeds got start to leave longer interval, can't be stomach tubing for too many times. ( Often they be sucking themselves too and be fightening with them ! )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,968 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Ya, well this morning I left her till late hoping she would be hungry. I had cow in caving gate and calf thrown across small bale of hay. Had teat in her mouth and milk it and all, but no way she should suck.

Sorry to hear that, not much you can do other that what you're at then ( you prob know as much as myself anyway ) Find a thick caster sugar paste on finger often helps, but if calf wont stand unaided unlikely to suck on own either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭tellmeabit

In really do swear by the kick start esp when she has come as far as standing a bit. Give them 20 mls, I think, and leave alone for 10 mins. Guide her to cow then if she hasn't found her herself. Think it's like €15 a bottle but does more than 10 doses. Have it here on stand by ready for the 1st one calving. Had big lad last year like that first few days he had to he propped up to drink or on his knees actually. Used really drive him on to drink

Don't have shares in it.😁

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

A shot of multimin and hunger

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I use these laytex teats on a plastic bottle for new born/young calves when I have to either strig colostrum from the cow, defrost it or hand feed a calf for a few days. They are much softer than the peach teats and you can squeeze the bottle to help with milk flow. Honey or as minerleague said caster sugar on the teat can help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Oxytocin isn't it?

Yeah go to vet and they'll give you a jag for the cow to drop the milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Wouldn’t worry about it. It’s you she won’t drop the milk for. Once calf starts sucking she’ll drop more than enough.

id Leave it alone and to nature.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Hold a square of chocolate to the roof of her mouth until it sticks to it, It'll stimulate the calf to suck and she'll latch on to a bottle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 601 ✭✭✭dh1985

You should be able to get a injection from the vet that will kick start the calf sucking. Mix of vitamins/selenium I think it is. Used it last weekend for similar issue to good sucess

Have you done this yourself ? Must try it sometime, always good to hear different solutions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 93 ✭✭Mr..

Its great when patience pays off.

You’ve given me hope. Going to go out and try my lad this evening. 3 weeks old on Tuesday coming. Going to try the chocolate and the honey.

Would want to be milk chocolate not dark ( Sorry couldn't resist , thought of this today, thought it hilarious at the time 😎 )

Last night I put the heat lamp out side a gate, but pointing in at an angle towards the calf. This morning I put the calf across a small bale with cow in the calving gate. No way would she drink, tried honey on teat, milked into the mouth - no joy. Put calf back on straw and as I set to milk cow, calf got up and came to the back of cow with tongue going. Brought her to the side and she latched on. No injections or any sort of medicine given to either. Don't know if you can learn anything from that.

It would drive you mad, I know, but that switch has to go on in the calf's head whatever it is.

I might as well have made the hoor rice crispy buns. Had the honey, the chocolate but not a chance. He’s nearing three weeks now and I’m coming to the bottom third of the bag of bloom too……..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,344 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Calf number 16 for this 2005 NVI cow.

I changed calving pens and she wouldn’t settle so was a long time progressing. I had to pull the calf and cow standing.

so far six calves this year- 5 red heifers and one red bull all off my stock bull.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭alan10

Pulled this loki bull yesterday, not hard pull just he was big and cow exhausted. Tubing him beastings last night and today. He finally stood this evening and looking for cow, won't suck bottle.

Cow has mastitis in 3 quarters, on antibiotics. I'm milking her out. Hopefully she comes good soon...no milk at moment just stink puss. Giving her nuts, silage, hay...not going mad for anything...even the calf.

Twin (heifers curaheen earp) from my saler/ch 2nd calver.

Happy out with 2 smallies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,055 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Was on the road all day and came back to meet her tongue swelled. Pulled her out and was groggy. Fine after a few hours do. I'm a lucky boy , swing's roundabouts as they say!

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭dodo mommy

I had a cow calf outside this evening, unexpectedly would normally calf all cows in doors time of year and make sure the calf got a suck.

I tryed to bring them in but she was having none of it, she was on the point of charging so I siad fcuk that for a game of soldiers and had to leave the out and hope that mother nature takes care of the calf. I'm working tomorrow morning very early too so won't see them until around 4 tomorrow evening fingers crossed all goes well for them. What's yere experience in these situations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Always find calves that are born without assistance are the ones that get up within the hour and feed themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,307 ✭✭✭tanko

The only cases where i’ve seen a calf unable to suck was an old cow with a big low udder and big bottle teats that the calf couldn’t fit into his gob and a couple of first calvers that kept running away from the calf when it tried to suck, the calf will just get exhausted and lie down then. If your cow has a tidy udder and stands still for him there’s a 99% chance he’ll be ok.

Drains around the field the calf could walk into wouldnt be good tho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

It’s a good feeling when you come out and see the calf stumbling and latch on within their first 30 mins

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭endainoz

Had this beaut of a Droimeann bull yesterday, unassisted, up in 20 mins. He's a right looker though some markings on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

If all was ok at the calving then there wouldn't be a bother on them. I calf most of mine outside in a wee padock beside the sheds. I am able to keep an eye on them that way, calf usually up drinking within an hour. Then for a day or so he would be hid in a the butt of the ditch in a nice snug spot, cow coming into the yard to feed but knowing exactly where the calf is hid. After 3 -4 days the calf will be trotting around the padock with her, that's when I usually move them to a better field with grass or that.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,902 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

@endainoz Do you keep many Droimeann and what do you do with the progeny. I know there a rare breed so bloodline conservation is the main objective in the medium term. I'd be interested in keeping a few Droimeann or Irish moiled in the future but I'd imagine you'd need an end market for the finished product. There not going to break any records in the mart compared to the conventional breeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭James2022

Good start here this year. AI tech recommended I use the Aubrac bull - Turloughmore Magnificent - AU4683

I've had 4 so far and very happy with them. All calving relatively easy and up on their feet suckling unassisted in 20-30 mins. Very friendly too but a bit early to tell on shape.

Curaheen Earp - SI2152 - Heifer from one of my best cows. Lovely shape and colouring so far.

Clonagh Frosty King SI4083 bull. The catalogue says he is easy calving but he might be one of the biggest calves I've ever had. This is her 7th calf and it gave her quite a bit of trouble. I wouldn't sleep well if I had heifers in calf to him like they recommend. A little but of encouragement to stand and was very lazy to suckle so needed a bottle.

Another Frosty King SI4083 bull. Big calf again, not enough room to turn around so he came backwards. His back legs were giving him a lot of trouble so some physiotherapy needed to get them straight. He's a week old now and walking perfect. Again a sluggish calf, maybe it's a characteristic of the Simmental breed. Saw him one day go up and puck the udder in annoyance a few times and then walk away not willing to put in the work to suckle.

I'm sure everyone knows this tip at this stage. If you milk colostrum out of a cow store it in sealable plastic bags and never in a bottle. I like to put 700ml in at a time. Label it clearly with the cow, date and what it is(you don't want someone thinking its stewed apple for a pie!!!!). Lay it flat in the freezer. This way it is much easier to defrost and also quicker. Another big mistake is people putting a hairdryer or even boiling the colostrum in a pot to thaw it out. That reduces the effectiveness and nutritional value of colostrum so you have to let it thaw out slowly.

30 more cows to go here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,380 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Lovely calves and best of luck with them. I never actually thought of putting colostrum into zip bags and it is a brilliant idea. I do thaw 2l bottles of it in a water bath (when needed) in a 16l saucepan that I use to cook the ham for Christmas. I use a milk/water thermometer (for mixing cmr) and keep the water bath temperature at 37C which prevents the colostrum from overheating. It takes appox an hour to defrost 2ltrs.

I have two cows and had a bull up to last year so hanging on to the heifers from him. The idea was that they should make some very good replacements with the continental mother and the milking ability of the Droimeanns. The second calfer cows have serious milk this year so hopefully the theory will prove correct for the others.

Do you get any bonus from the Gov or anywhere for native breed?

Not yet, but a premium for every cow with a pedigree cert is in the works I believe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭alan10

Si heifer calf from SI cow. Had to pull, this lady is too posh to push. Lost the calf last year...she didn't push either??? so went in earlier this time.

Quietest one I have, very easy to work with. Calf took 3L from bottle straight away.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭James2022

Walking around the pen in circles refusing to lay down and push? I don't get why cows do that. It's infuriating. Just when I thought I'd be getting an early night my worst cow for doing that has just started calving. Lovely calf!

No need to change anything then! I must look into that way to get it defrosted quicker. You don't always know when you'll need it.

I think it must be something physical, like scar tissue from a previous year.

Put a third Calver in today at midday - she got stitches when she put out the uterus after her first calving. watched her from 2pm making a few attempts, same last year. Gave her assistance, just a handy bull calf.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Cracker of a PT2165 bull calf around 2am last night. Thawed out out beastings and fed the calf. Happy days.

Wake up this morning to the cow lying on top of a dead calf. Not a happy boy today.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

• Advertisement

So sorry to hear that. A neighbour says that too deep a straw bed can fool a tired cow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,981 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Never happen a bad calf

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Isn’t that the truth!

Jayus sorry to hear that.

same thing happened to a heifer of mine once upon a time. Took calf with jack and perfect healthy calf. Middle of the day and in the days before calving gates so calf was jacked in the regular crush and then let back in the pen - on concrete so no straw. I went out 20 minutes later for a look and cow happy as Larry lying on dead calf.

I was 12 years old. A lot of 🥲🥲🥲 that night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

This happened to the old fella years ago as well. He always talks about it. Since then we never leave a cow and calf together after a middle of the night calving. After the calf stands and sucks we have a little straw bed pen besides the calving pen separate with a gate. The cow settles down once she can see it. Leave it back together at first light. They can be awkward after calving as it is.

Are the lights left on with them or why can't they see them when they go to lie down - just too tired from the calving?

I have good night vision on cameras so don’t leave on lights.

Aye, but might be better for the cows to leave a light on with them overnight so they can see what's about them better. Since moving to leds we would now leave a light on for their benefit.

Had a cow due here March 10th, throw a calf there. Looked like she was calving the last couple days. No springing but hunched back, tail oit from her and passing bits of water. Calf not formed fully, no hair that i could notice. Small bit at the naval. No smell, no smell off the cow either. Normal temp by the cow last few days.

The calf must be dead a while inside if due in few days. Don't think big enough for the age it should be.

Would they hold a dead one long? Wondering if it possible that there is another in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Get a vet to check the cow and take some bloods. I think your cow got a puck awhile back. I think the cow releases the dead calf when she’s ready, nothing to do with due date or date of injury

• Advertisement
Advertisement