Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Budget of €100k for full renovation of 120m2 house in Dublin

• 03-01-2022 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Hi All,

In very ballpark figures, I am trying to figure out how much I can stretch a budget of 100k for renovating my house. There's lots of factors at play here, but I was hoping some folks here might be able to give me some idea of how far the money will go in the current climate.

The house was built in the late 80s. It has had no substantial updates since. I have a budget of 100k, and can move out at no cost for the duration of any works. I aspire to get the following done:

• Full external wrapping, new ventilation + heat pump, new radiators throughout (approx 8)
    • Upgrade heating system to dual zone
    • New glazing (7x windows varying sizes + sliding patio door)
    • Renovate 2x Bathrooms
    • Merging kitchen + dining room, joined by supporting wall
    • New kitchen / dining area
    • Full rewire

Is 100k at all feasible for this work? And at this budget, is it worth involving professional services (QS / architect consulation for example)?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭starbaby2003

The heat pump and plumbing updates you should budget 25-30K ( you’ll get a grant of around €4K, if eligible, from the seai )

external insulation 18-20K ( grant of 4.5k available)

bathrooms 4K each minimum

rewire around 12-15K

windows 15k for basic windows and sliding door

that’s before you even look at the actual building changes and the cost of a new kitchen. I’m not an expert at all but we just completed a retrofit so those prices are realistic. You can get builders to quote as a starting point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Murph85

Prices are mental. You are going to have to get a few contractiors in to give you a price... is it oil or gas currently ? You might not be able to do it all in one go...

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Pomodoro

Thanks - its good to have some ballpark figures from someone who has done work recently!

A non-functioning gas boiler. We will definitely prioritise the heating / plumbing / insulation upgrades before the rest, but the prices right now are clearly way up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

Starbaby costs are similar to ours (renovation in Dublin). We left the heat pump and put in gas as it was lower cost. The option for a heat pump can be installed at a later time. Also note that your house needs very good insulation for a heat pump. You might need to look at the insulation everywhere including under the ground floor (ours was an 80s house as well and it was a suspended floor so we ripped it up and put in insulation, screed and underfloor heating).

Also if knocking a supporting wall you'll need an engineer to spec out the supporting steel needed and sign it off as compliant.

Thought I would update this.

Recently spoke with one of the one stop shops. Before going and doing a full tender, they estimated a cost of approx 90k before grants for the energy retrofit work alone. after grants that will be 65-75k.

We'll be talking to more contractors, but so far it's looking very pricey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Thanks @Pomodoro . We're looking to do something very similar. Waiting on a one stop shop to come back to us with a ballpark so will update once we get it

• Registered Users Posts: 25 egizz983

Did full renovation of 7 bedroom house 4 bathrooms big kitchen and living room + big garden . Renovation did not include replacing windows and and external doors . THere was second floor on half of the house .

Works we did :

All second floor was demolished and rebuild including floors .

all walls in the house was demolished and rebuild

all electricals was rewired ( 10k euros cost including all materials )

Insulation and air tightness was installed on external walls and ceiling . (not a cheap insulation )

There was a bit of issue regarding on heating system to install ideally i was going after air to water but owner did not wanted to invest a lot of money so we end up with electric radiators .

All plumbing and bathrooms was stripped and redone plumbing walls tiling ect .

After demolition works was finished there was only external walls in the house left .

Everything was redone inside the house with high to medium quality materials . ( new floors new ,kitchen new , new doors everything new )

New skylight installed inside kitchen/living room 3.5k cost .

Also half of the roof was replaced 10k cost

Back garden was abandoned so we had to clear completely then we did concrete foundation with wood effect anti slip tiles loads of trees outside furniture's cost around 2k and big 10k worth jacuzzi

all this cost around 140k-150k including all labor materials and even furniture's if i recall correctly it was around 210sqm house .

i can share some pictures if you like how was before and after

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

@egizz983 yes, please share pictures if you get a chance. Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Alkers

As suggested above, leave off the heat pump for now and go with gas. You should be able to just replace the boiler. For zoned control, this can all be done by smart heating trvs so you don't need a physical two zone setup. There's a good "home heating automation" thread on boards

You could also leave the external insulation until later on, when savings allow.

If getting new windows and doors, get them moved outwards to accommodate the insulation at a later date.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 egizz983

i am not able to share links and there is many photos of that property we did but i will post some here .

in this house everything was rotten mold smell was so strong that you could not even breath students used to live there had radio active signs on doors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭Alkers

That looks brilliant, you should really do your own thread. That terrace looks like a serious place for a party!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭Bradz213

Hi, Just wondering did you ever get this professionally quoted or go ahead with the works in the end?

Hi Brad - we have had a few "soft" quotes for energy retro fit only ranging from €50,000 to €90,000. Costs way up so it seems hard to get any guarantees of price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 catfitz

Hi,

Do you work nationwide? I'm looking for quotes for a renovation on my house and maybe a small extension? You're work looks outstanding. Amazing job done on that house!

Advertisement