Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Light not working

Options
  • 03-01-2022 5:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭

Hi, utility room light not working, comes on intermittently. Only started happening recently, I haven’t done any electrical work so finding it hard to figure out what’s wrong. Tried new bulb and replaced the ceiling rose but still not coming on when I press the switch. Any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Maewyn Succat

Check the wiring at the switch. The switch itself may also be faulty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Wiring at the switch looks good, no loose connections. Thanks for the suggestion. I May pick up a new switch also just to be sure.

Before you do that maybe just turn the power off, put both wires in the same terminal or join them together and then turn the power back on. If the light doesn't come on then the switch is faulty.

Thanks, I’ll try that first

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bruthal.

If the light does come on you mean?

Anyway, there may be more than 2 wires at the switch, in which case the inexperienced can lose track if a note is not kept.

A photo of the wiring into it might be helpful.

• Advertisement

the extractor fan is wired into the switch (I’m guessing) it comes on when I flip the switch, light does not. So I’m assuming the switch is good.

Yeah that's what I meant.

A photo would definitely help as I was assuming it was a one gang switch which may not be the case. A photo of the wiring at the ceiling rose would help too to make sure it's wired properly.

Pics attached

• Advertisement

As the switches are looped the problem is possibly at the switch before that switch in the loop. Everything else seems to be ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Bruthal.

It could also be a neutral connection problem. So some posibilities are switch,which seems ok, ceiling rose/pendant which it looks like you replaced, connection at previous switch, which would also affect others after the one here if the switch loops on to other switch/s, or a problem at a neutral connection which could be also at a previous switch or rose depending how its wired. Check the neutrals which appear to be at the switch in the pics anyway.

Advertisement