Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sarpo Mira

Options
  • 03-01-2022 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭

Hi All

So before I planted Sarpo a couple of years ago I did the usual research to see what the opinions of them for growing eating etc were

and found little enough data that I would agree with 2 years later. So here goes:

Growing

1. Grew really vigourous and easily with nice high stalks and lots of leaves - can be a little deceptive though in terms of tuber size as you need to wait until late August / September to get the tubers to a big size. Some tubers were massive
    2. Blight resistence was excellent - second year I didn't bother spraying at all.
    3. They do seem to be somewhat susceptible to rot but this depends on soil - I grew them in two spots - one place normal enough soil where perhaps 10% had some rot whereas those grown in peaty drier soil were not affected

Cooking / Eating

1. I had read on some mostly English/European blogs etc that they are a floury potato but I wouldn't classify them as such (nowhere near queens or kerrs pink or rooster). They are dry alright but they have a somewhat gluey/pastelike consistency if boiled that makes only so so for mash unless you take real care and maybe use a potato ricer
    2. Taste is fine texture is the issue.
    3. Not bad as baked potatoes
    4. Excellent as chips

Storing

1.I found that they stored excellently in the shed (cool dark etc)and I was able to plant the second years crop using saved spuds as they are slow to develop eyes and stalks

Conclusion

For potato growers/home consumption I would recommend them but only as supplemental to another maincrop variety as I found them poor as mashers.

I will be giving them 33% of my potato area for future.

P

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,703 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tree

We grew setantas last year, and they are one of the flouriest potatoes I have ever encountered. They grew pretty well, some huge, some small. Bit of rot in the more shaded bed, but not a huge amount.

They fall apart if you boil them, so I'd recommend steaming but they make fabulous mash. They make a good roaster or chip too, but beware they don't colour much so you'll be able to overcook them without realising cause they won't brown (and you get this crisp, glassy outside, so it's still tasty)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Taking this thread even further off topic I think......

Will be growing a few more pots of Vivaldi this year. It was our star of last Summer. Fresh out of the soil, boiled and put in bowls with salt and butter and straight back out to the garden as a side with our barbeque. There was nothing like them. Perfect on their own or with a grilled steak or chicken.

Grew a few pots of Sarpo Mira also. Always great for the blight resistance but nothing stands out flavour wise and we don't own a fryer for chipping them. I believe that they make great chips.

Best for mash last year were British Queens. Good crop, good size and plenty in each pot.

No issues with blight at all last year, even in the non blight resistant varieties.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Cheers - have 2kg of these ordered for this year so will be interested to see how they go

• Registered Users Posts: 6,760 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I have them ordered again this year along with sharp uno. Found them a nice spud.

Also grew fir apples and will again. Ordered d 50kg of seed potato

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭photosmart

Where do ye get the seed potato from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,760 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭MacDanger

Advertisement