Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A lost farmer

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Would 16'6 slats not give you to large of a slatted area in relation to the headspace at the gate - so you couldn't stock fully to keep clean - unless feeding TMR?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,125 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭JohnChadwick

Ah I see, wet silage.

Always thought it'd be best to have the south westerly wind entering the open side and circulating away above them.

No you do not want rain entering a shed. There is always plenty of air if a shed is open one side. Vented sheeting from the South or West will sort out dank corners.

Actually my own shed is a double shed. However the complete North side is open and 50% of the East side. It means I only feed one side of the central passage.

I build it during the 60% environment grant. I was limited by stock numbers so had to design the shed around that. But a 6 bay 16' 6'' slatted would have come in at the same money

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Yes, but your pen would be deeper than wider - would they all be able to eat at same time, or do you feed on both sides? Allowing for toe space that would be a pen of roughly 15' x 17'6.

How many would you have in a pen that size, 12?

It's not a problem with stores or weanlings. As long as you are feeding silage and lib all cattle will get enough to eat.

It's only a problem with cows more so suckler's than dairy. Suckker cows have dominate and submissive cows. With small pens where feed is limited so e cows will prevent access to other cows. Where stores or weanlings have access to adequate feed then you do not need to worry about limited feedface

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,808 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I'd be cautious in jumping to one single choice and getting locked into it, esp by debt, or sunk investment. We can see that agriculture is changing radically. Get your head around the direction it is taking and what direction you and your father would feel comfortable with. Certainly things to consider are; low fertiliser input, clover swards, ease of work, good handling facilities and fencing for rotational grazing.

Advertisement