Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this normal in a new build bathroom?

Options
  • 03-01-2022 10:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14

Just bought a new build house and have a wire sticking out for a bathroom mirror.

should the wire be left like this by the electrician or should the wire be terminated with some sort of junction box so I can connect a led mirror or shaving light to?

thanks

Answers

• Registered Users Posts: 17,107 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

If it's not live then I think it's OK.

It's left there in case you want a light above or part of the mirror.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

It is normal and you will need... there is a good chance its live so put a junction or cable connector on it...

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jumbone

I'd presume it is live, why wouldn't it be!

Put a junction or connector on what? The picture isn't great but is it not just a loop of wire?

i.e. you would need to cut it to break into the circuit. No point cutting it just to connector block it back together!

The cable will have been pulled off a reel from board to the last point and a bit of slack left at each point for termination.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

The picture isn't clear but i now reckon you have a loop and one cable and possibly a green cable as well...

If this is the case i be thinking the loop likely the live and no safety issue... is this the case...

I mightn't be live because it's safer not leaving it live.

Anything to do with the bathroom needs to be done by a REC. This includes fitting lights. I'm not an electrician so happy to be corrected but I think lights for the bathroom are treated like electric & power showers & go back to a dedicated trip switch.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,440 ✭✭✭embraer170

Does this include the ceiling lights in bathroom?

Go to almost anywhere on mainland Europe and there is problem having plugs all over the bathroom.

Yes. A REC needs to install / replace ceiling light fittings in a bathroom. I'm not 100% sure but I don't think these can't be on the same circuit as other lights upstairs

I was working off the assumption that its a 'point' on the lighting circuit and would therefore have to be live

I'm not an electrician but couldn't the other end be left unconnected at the back of the light switch?

Me neither, but what I was thinking was:

• that you don't typically have a switch for a mirror light/shaver point/demister pad etc as the fixture handles switching itself (e.g. a pullcord on a shaver light etc)
    • If it was for a light up mirror, you may want to be able to use that light without the ceiling light being on. Also while it may have been fine years ago for a shaver socket to only be energised when the light was on (who shaves in the dark?), shaver sockets are now more likely to be used for toothbrush charging and would therefore need a permanent live feed

I reckon that the cable shown is the loop in or out of a ceiling light and that if OP were to cut into it to add a fixture, they would basically be following the steps to add a light between 2 other lights and omitting the light switch

• Advertisement

I reckon that the cable shown is the loop in or out of a ceiling light and that if OP were to cut into it to add a fixture, they would basically be following the steps to add a light between 2 other lights and omitting the light switch

This makes the most sense to me now that you point it out. You have the option for the wall light/mirror light without leaving dangerous bare cable or connection block

• Registered Users Posts: 2,041 ✭✭✭Cerco

Getting back to the OP's questions, I would think it is normal to leave a cable loop as shown so home owner can choose the type of mirror , shaver socket, lighting etc. they want installed. Unless of course if the home purchase agreement included some fitting installed

I don't think a junction box would be necessary as the cable loop is safe.

I assume the builders REC followed regulations w.r.t bathrooms.

Op should decide what they want installed and get a REC to complete as per earlier posts.

I am not an electrician.

Advertisement