Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multichannel numbers

Options
  • 03-01-2022 10:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭

I was talking to my friend today about the multichannel black box and we were trying to remember what channels we had and the numbers. I remember years ago coming across a Web page showing the information but can't see to find it.

1.Rte

8. was BBC

Does anyone know them all?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭Glaceon

It would have varied depending on the area you lived in and the provider you had. There was no set standard as such, even two areas served by the same provider may have had different numbering or channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,648 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Do you mean Cork?

There were no boxes in Dublin until digital cable came along.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭EnzoScifo

In Cork it did change frequently. This is as far as I remember and the channels in the higher numbers are very hazy in my mind!

1. RTE 1
    2. Show Channel (Local sports)
    3. TV5 (French Channel
    4. TV3
    5. MTV/CMT
    6. RTE 2
    7. BBC1
    8. BBC2
    9. Discovery
    10. UTV/HTV
    11. Channel 4
    12. Sky 1
    13. Nickelodeon/Paramount
    14. Sky News
    15. Eurosport
    16. Technical
    17. TG4
    18. Sat.1 ;)

35 Sky Sports 1

36 Sky Sports 2

37/38/39 Sky Movies

40 Sky Sports 3

from 20-30 there were various channels like Granada, Bravo, Trouble, Nat Geo etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Antenna

RTE2/Network 2 had previously been on number 4 in Cork on these cable decoders, however when TV3 came along, TV3 replaced RTE2 on 4, with RTE2 moved up to 6.

It seems there was some sneaky deal done between TV3 and some cable operators to directly replace RTE2 with TV3 (with RTE2 being moved), it happened in other parts of the country too:

as RTE said, there was no technical justification to move RTE2 to a higher number

Post edited by Antenna on

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Tax The Farmers

"Do you mean Cork?"

Yes in Cork (which was the first cable network to use any form of encryption/set top box) the term "black box" was local slang for cable. (In Dublin and some other places it was "pipe" which is even more bizarre)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,648 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

The media often referred to programming as being "piped into the home" so calling cable "the pipe" was natural.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Tax The Farmers

OP if you can find an old copy of the Cork Examiner newspaper they used to publish a list on their TV page (or did in the early 1990's anyway)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭Antenna

Controversy in the early 1990s recalled in another thread elsewhere about the German Sat1 channel on the above Cork cable service:

Advertisement