Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ceiling light - no wall switch or pull string?

Options
  • 04-01-2022 12:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35,038 ✭✭✭✭
    Master of the Universe

Bit of an oddity here, see what you guys might think.

Bought a place a few months back, period cottage that's had a lot of work done to it. Previous owners also had the electrics redone.

The hallway has two sets of lights, one recessed light in the ceiling at one end and then a separate spotlight down the other end. The type you can pivot around.

This pivoting spotlight has had a dead bulb since we moved in. I replaced it yesterday, worked perfectly, happy days.

Went to turn the hall lights off that evening - all the lights switched off as usual - apart from this spotlight with the newly replaced bulb!

I'd assumed all these hall lights would logically be on the same light switch.

Much confusion followed, looking absolutely everywhere for a hidden switch which might control this light, none anywhere at all. I threw the breaker to kill the hall lights and this light went off, so it's on the same circuit but just not the same light switch. Had to wait for the bulb to cool down and then put the old dead one back in before putting the electricity back on.

Might just stick a wifi bulb in it for now to solve the problem, anyone else come across this before though? I just can't make sense of it at all. I wired in some lights before in my previous place that had no wall switches, but you obviously had a switch on the light itself to control it. Doesn't seem to be any way to turn this one off at all...?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭Maewyn Succat

As it's a cottage I'm assuming only one storey? Can you access the wiring for that light in the attic?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭hesker

Quite possibly the live wire to this light is connected to the permanent live rather than the switched live at whatever switch is set to control it. Find the switch and check the connections.

Advertisement