Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Border Collie Cross and allergies in family

• 04-01-2022 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi

We have been looking for a dog for some time, and see a beautiful cross border collie dog on one of the rescue sites.

I dont have much experience with these dogs, but upon speaking to the rescue centre, this dog is trained, and wonderfully natured etc - good with children etc.

One of my children suffers with asthma - so that would be my initial concern. I understand cross border collies shed, and that you can limit / control and care for the dog to ensure that is minimal - But has anyone else ever adopted this breed with allergies in the household?

We dont want to consider the dog if we would have to give it back....

Comments

Any collie I've ever owned - purebred and crossbred - shed like crazy as they have double coats and had to be thoroughly brushed a couple of times a week at least. Looking after a collie coat can be a lot of work.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Somepeople

I have asthma which is triggered by pollen and weather. I never had any issues with dogs, including a border collie in the past and a GSD which I currently have.

Has your child ever played with dogs? Did it affect them?

Deshed treatment at the groomers helps greatly with hair loss along with daily brushing (5 min will do).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,054 ✭✭✭✭tk123

It’s usually the dander/skin that causes allergies so as long as the dog is kept relatively well brushed you should hopefully keep allergies at bay. I have allergies and 2 retrievers so there’s lots of hair (always!) lol but I don’t have any issues. Make sure you get an undercoat rake and I like both a slicker and pin brush. You’ll also need a good vacuum / floor cleaner lol!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 415 ✭✭Emma2019

Also as an aside, border collies are working dogs so very high energy and need stimulation. Just mentioning as it's something people dont seem to realise when they dont have experience of the breed.

Advertisement