Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comfortable bar for food / drink close to Vicar St?

Options
  • 04-01-2022 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

Hello Dubliners!

Last minute, going to a comedy gig at 3pm.

Not familiar with the area, any recommendations on somewhere we could get cosy in after the gig for food and drink... ideally we'll just stay there until 8pm before heading back to the hotel so somewhere welcoming / atmospheric / cosy would be ideal.

We are not picky about food so long as its not total slop. A decent fish n chip / burger etc would do fine.

Thanks all for any advice offered.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,550 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Not a lot of the pubs in that area even do food.

Options:

Johns Bar - Press Up venue, has Wowburger. Not a fan. Picked up some of the regulars from other pubs that were closed down which is not always a good thing

Beer Market - Galway Bay premises so no mainstream beers. Burgers, wings, fish and chips etc. Pricey.

Dudleys - exceptionally limited food. Not been in since it opened as this but the other pub owned by the same owner is grand.

Luckys - good pizza, but only pizza.

I'd probably go to the Beer Market in your scenario

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Does The Pale still exist in some form? Back toward Christchurch. I think it may have been a Galway Bay pub more recently. T'was a grand pub if a bit tight in dimension.

A quick street view check shows it's the Beer Market

• Registered Users Posts: 10,102 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

I'd go somewhere on Dame Street for the sake of a few minutes walk. The Mercantile sounds like it might be a good fit.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Is the Mercantile back open? Passed it several times before Christmas and it was closed, somewhat boarded up too.

Oooh you're right, closed until further notice according to the website. Haven't been in since November so hadn't realised.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,550 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm pretty certain the Mercantile hasn't been open since March 2020. Hotel is going for a major refurb.

Nowhere on Dame Street could vaguely be called cosy. Lord Edward which is on that walk could be, but no food.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,358 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

I meant I haven't been in town, not in the Mercantile 😉

The Bank can be cosy.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,206 ✭✭✭✭Esel

"You get a fair do at the Brazen Head."

Extra portion of fries and you're made up (between two people unless you're starving).

Post edited by Esel on

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Seconded for beer market, it’s your best bet for pint & grub. Arthur’s is a nice spot but hasn’t reopened so far, think they were doing structural repairs.

There is a fx Buckley’s across from lord edward that could work too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement