Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Return to two wheels

Options
  • 04-01-2022 3:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭

Call it a mid life crisis if you will but I'm contemplating a return after a near 20:year absence.

My question is what to buy.

I don't want anything small,don't want a rice rocket prefer naked bikes don't especially like cruisers and would really like to avoid inline tours this time round.

Also aint spending much

I'm thinking.

Sv650/1000

Firestorm.

Monster(wetclutch one)

The evergreen all capable vfr750/800

BMW R1100S

Speed triple

All of the above the BMW floats my boat most.

Thoughts/ other contenders ?

P.s.mechanic by trade if that adds any bias

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

All decent choices. I'd include an MT07/09 too.

Best of luck with your return to biking.

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭adunis

Thanks Henry,any BMW gurus about I wonder ?

You can see where I'm going with this......

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭D3V!L

The maintenance on the R1100S would be expensive compared to the rest.

Luckily I'm a mechanic,but how good are they ?, Versus the vfr where I might have to change the occasional bulb for instance........

• Advertisement

Are you a motorcycle mechanic ? I know the clutch on the R1100S is a pig to replace.

HGV ,but it's all the same sh1te BMW clutch same as a car just split entire bike in two 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I'd go: SV, Speed Triple, VFR, in that order.

R1100S is nice, but as a returner bike the above would be more comfortable imho. The issue with the VFR might be if the exhaust is on the way out: not cheap being a V4, and a pita to fit. The SV otoh is simplicity and bulletproof as well. I'd be going with the 650 to start.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 6,837 ✭✭✭Alkers

Might be shifting my SV650S as I'm not using it in the pandemic. Haven't advertised it or anything yet but keep me in mind if you make a choice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭dubal2008

I did this two years ago, not been on a bike in 30 years and my first bike back was an MT07, still love it two years later

Update.

Bought a nice old 1100gs for cheap.

I love it,things a goddamn armchair.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Sir Galahad

Now go to www.ukgser.com/forums where there’s a great Irish section full of helpful folk.

Advertisement