Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Plans for 2022

• 04-01-2022 3:53pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭

I always enjoy these threads so i said is start this one. Whats your plans for 2022?.

Mine are:

• Get moved into the new house, We went sale agreed in August but still waiting to complete.
    • Get some fencing done at the new place and also finish the last part left to be done in the home place.
    • Get better at Grazing and stop letting grass get too strong ahead of sheep. (Need to figure out when to graze and when to move on etc).

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Survive 😄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,115 ✭✭✭893bet

1) Make no mistakes that cost the life of an other calf. Not been a good year so far on that regard. Been focused on less important stuff.

2) Plant 100 metres of hedging around my house that I have been putting off. Would have a fine hedge now.

3) Fence the home farm this spring and maybe an out farm in September.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

• Redo the lights on the Tractor
    • fit the turbo that's sitting in a box with the last three years onto the tractor
    • Purchase a mower
    • Put down more concrete in the yard
    • Cull old cows and Stragglers
    • Sow a bigger Garden
    • Sow spuds (first time in about 20 years)
    • fit a Calving gate
    • Add more insulation to the attic
    • Put up another 2 calving cameras
    • Find a new Business opportunity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,702 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Don't really have any plans. 2021 sucked the life out of me in regards plans and ambitions. Might just let things settle or something, though I really need a house badly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Security cameras at home

Secure out farm

Reseed some paddocks

Put up handling facilities at out farm

Cull low performing cows

Try castrating calves younger

Slatted tank for storage

Genetic test bull

Tidy yard

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

First I'll look back at the January 2021 'to do' list.......

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

1) Sell off the last few sucklers (7 old dolls left) before calving (bittersweet but the right call for me)

2) Buy a few Aubrac bull calves as a look-see

3) Plant a dozen trees around the farm- Alder, Birch, Oak

4) Get 4 or 5 acres of clover in - maybe with some plantain included

5) First cut done by May 15th. Have tried earlier cutting the last few years and it makes some difference

6) Lime 20 acres after the first cut

7) Take a course on measuring grass

8) Mend a stupid rift with a good neighbour

• Registered Users Posts: 2,365 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Hope you sort no8 anyways. Everything else is immaterial in the bigger scheme of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,785 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Where is last year's thread? Not sure what it was called

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,367 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Well, just past the half way point so how are folk doing? A year I'd like to forget so far and don't think it will get any better - all due to off-farm reasons.

Got calves castrated young, tank completed and bull sample sent off (not back yet). 'Important' stuff didn't really feel very important for a long time. Just want to see the back of this year and based on predictions for next year I'd like to skip it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭Grueller

I didn't put them in here but my lofty ambitions haven't been started even, let alone completed.

I have managed to spend far more time than I had imagined with my sick mother so there is that as a positive and it's far more important than anything in the yard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

“To care for those who once cared for us is one of the highest honors.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Plans here survive like new years resolutions. Current plan, get to 2023 while doing as little self inflicted damage as possible. 2023's plan will be veeeery similar I suspect, with a dash of Is that light at the end of the tunnel or an oncoming train? 🤔 2024........ profit.......... maybe........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

• Got moved in during May.
    • Have some fencing done but money was pouring into the house instead so will be an as and when for some time yet.
    • Have improved on the land in Kildare. Be a project down here in the new house to get the place right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,115 ✭✭✭893bet

1) No calves lost in spring.

2) Hedge planted. 300 plants or so. Around 5 percent didn’t “flower” and another 5 percent or so flowered but died during the summer. No idea why. Will see how if they come next spring and then copice with larger plants the end of the year in 2023.

3) Fenced the home farm in the spring. Bought a long handle hedge cutter last week which should make keeping the underwire growth in check.

Might skip the out farm fencing in September. Have some of the materials but need another 1.5k worth of posts and wire. Plus a digger for a day at least to clean drains and push in the strainers. Kick that cost onto next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Thank christ i did'nt post anything last January, no to-do list = nothing to do!

On a more serious note, put off a lot of work that should have been done this year, fencing, re-seeding, concreting etc, hard to justify the expence at the best of times but with the price of materials this year i decided to have a tightening the belt year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,245 ✭✭✭Tileman

Yea first year here I haven’t bought anything or done any projects. Did put up a new shed last year so it’s hard to keep putting money into it when returns are so small. Was kinda burnt out from work and projects last year and only getting the spark back now .

so will leave it as is until ne t year and get stuck back into it then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,785 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Bump

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Like Berties line, A lot done, more to do.

Did road, water system, and upgraded loader. Plan for next year is to hopefully apply for planning on yard upgrade, once I can figure out what numbers we'll be allowed to have to pay for it all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 156 ✭✭Diarmuid B

Biggest job for 2023 is to figure out how to operate the farm in organics, exciting but also a daunting time on marginal enough land.

Need to improve water supply around farm, only 4 troughs at present and will need more for paddock system to work. Moving trailer and IBC tank isn’t a long term solution.

hopefully use the majority of payments for ‘23 to clear all the loans for the sheds and then focus on upgrading rest of yard and machinery.

Advertisement