Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Running around robbing banks.......

Options
2»

Comments

• They are 5k pace with 2 mins jog recovery

I feel fairly comfortable on them probably because I do most speed work on a treadmill and do the longer stuff or recovery outdoors.

Any advice on that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,236 ✭✭✭AuldManKing

5 min reps at 5k pace with 2min recovery is good going.

Its a good workout - have you replicated it outdoors with Pace as your guide (as opposed to treadie speed)

My only advice would be to add a small incline on the treadmill (1%) - but it looks good.

• No, I should be doing it outdoors.

I will try and get out for at least one speed workout a week and build it up.

Cheers

• Monday: Rest

Tuesday: Was feeling like I had the flu coming on with the side effects of the Booster from Sunday.

Tuesday wasn't great but went to the gym for a hill workout which was 7km with 6 x 2 mins hills and two mins recovery in between.

Didn't really know what to set the treadmill at so did the first at 3.5 % 11.5 km/hr

This nearly killed me, I couldn't breathe towards the end of the rep so did the rest at 3.5 % and 11km/hr

Wednesday: 4.6 miles on a hilly route - Calves were tired after yesterdays incline so took it very easy

Thursday: 4.6 miles @ 10.13 pace on same hilly route - Felt better this evening and the weather was great for running.

Saturday: I was all set during the week to do a Parkrun, did my homework, got my barcode and then slept in.

In hindsight I needed it and I wont beat myself up. So Saturday night, went off on my exciting bank holiday 6 mile run...

1 mile warm up then 3 x 5 mins 5km pace or faster (this was more to do with most of the reps being downhill or flat) with two minute jog then as I was jogging up the hill home I decided to throw in a final 5 min rep @ 5km pace and cool down.

I'm having a stab at the speed as I didn't time them but can gauge them off Map My Run website as I know where I started and finished:

First 5 mins: 7.15 pace - Partial uphill and partial downhill

Second 5 mins 8.04 pace - Flat and downhill

Third 5 mins 7.04 pace - Downhill and flat

Fourth 5 mins: 8.06 pace - Uphill and flat

Sunday: 4.6 miles on my hilly route @ 10.10 pace.

Never got around to the long run this week. Will hopefully get one in next weekend.

• Tuesday: 5km slow to Tempo pace 9 to 11km/hr

Thursday: 6 miles very easy

Saturday: 3 miles easy 9.36 pace

Monday: 7.5 miles @ 10 minute pace

Didnt have a good week, legs felt tired all week so think I may have done

too much last week with recovering from whatever I had the weeks before.

Not sure how much running I will get in this week as will be travelling.

• Advertisement

• So back to the grind now.

While I was away I didn't really get much running in; I walked between 6 and 8 miles each day.

I'd say I did about 6 runs altogether of 3 miles a run and used the weights on the same days.

I also did some swimming in the pool but very leisurely.

I got to the Katie Taylor fight and I will never forget it, best live entertainment of my whole life.

I don't even think I would bother with Croke Park after that. I think that was the pinnacle of her career.

I'm not saying I think she will lose but the Porto Ricans won't fly over to Ireland so it will just be an Irish audience; not the same atmosphere.

I got in a 4 mile run @ 9.30 per mile and a 3 mile run @ 9 mins per mile since I came home.

I am also sick once again between jetlag and catching a head cold most likely off the plane.

I was supposed to be back earlier but there was a smell in the plane so they turned back and we ended up

staying another night in the states.

The day I had booked off work for recovery was spent flying home.

I don't really feel jetlagged now, just normal fatigue from the cold and quite stuffy.

So I will see how it goes and start building up gradually again hopefully from this week onwards.

• Monday: 4 miles on my hilly route 9.44 per mile

Tuesday: 3 miles 9.20 per mile

Thursday: 5 x 5 mins on the treadmill

11 to 11.5 km/hr for first 4 and 11 to 13km/hr for last 1

5 miles altogether @ 51.22 mins

Saturday: 7 miles - Parked the car in Phibsboro and jogged to the Phoenix park. Jogged the Military road, S bends, Furze road. Very humid out there

and had to drop into Cumiskey's on the way home to get some water. Really nice to be back running in the park though

and I plan to try and get up there more often and maybe get a few cycles in as well over the summer.

Sunday: 3miles 10 mins per mile

• Tuesday: 5 miles easy plus weights and stretching.

I had a little bit of tightness under the foot, most likely the Soleus tugging from the calf.

I remember jogging up the s bend and feeling a tightness in the calf and it has now transcended to under the foot.

Nothing new for me, its a weakness that I carry for many years.

Thursday: 7 kms with 10 x 2 mins @ goal 5km pace

1 mile warm up and 10 x 2 mins @ 12km/hr on treadmill with 1 minute jog recovery in between each rep.

2 mins jog recovery @ 4th and 8th rep

This felt very doable except for the heat of the gym. I will try and get next speed run done outdoors.

I didnt get to the gym until late so I had the choice of jogging a km cooldown or getting in a few weights.

I decided to get some stretches and weights in, need to mind the leg so it made more sense.

Friday: 4.6 miles @ 10.00 mins per mile on my hilly route.

Sunday: 10 miles @ 10.08 per mile.

Parked the car in Glasnevin and jogged to the Phoenix park. Up by the back of the park around the s bends again and Furze road etc.

Gorgeous feel good weather, there really is nothing better for the health.

Stopped for water in a fairly hairy pub down by the old Cattle market and ran out ASAP as soon as I lashed it down.

Back home for a nice Epsom salt bath..

• Monday: 3 miles @ 9.50

Wednesday: 4.7 miles @ 9.47 mins per mile

Friday: 4 miles including:

A mile warm up

3.00 mins @ 10km pace 11.5km/hr

1.00 min @ mile pace 13 km/hr

2.00 mins @ 5km pace 12km/hr

1.00 min @ mile pace 13km/hr

2..00 mins @ 5km pace 12km/he

1.00 min @ mile pace 13km/hr

5.00 mins @ 5 km pace 12km/hr

30 secs @ 15.5 km/hr

1 mile cooldown

Saturday: 3 miles @ 10.30 mins per mile

Sunday: 7.6 miles @10 mins per mile - I should've extended this run to 10 miles especially as I was feeling fresh enough but it was too tempting to drop into my mothers house enroute.

Still, I got in a hilly few miles towards the end taking in the Washerwoman hill and Ballymun road.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Tuesday: 5 miles @ 9.43

Wednesday: Weights and stretching

3 miles :9.50

Thursday: Found myself a really decent Physical Therapist and had a sports massage with lots of good pain.

Went to the gym later and did some upper body weights. Not much stretching as too tender after massage.

Friday: No running again as was quite tender from the massage.

Saturday: 4 miles @ 10.07 pace

Sunday: 11.07 miles - 10.10 miles@9.07 pace and then 10 strides for the final mile. 11.07 miles @ 9.29 - I did do some strolling between the strides.

I didnt time this, it was just natural feel so didnt intentionally run this so quickly. I have to say I felt good doing the strides for the final mile.

It actually brightened up a rather boring run with me doing three laps to make up this 11 mile route.

I'm happy enough with that run but wasnt as hilly as other routes I've taken for my long run.

• Advertisement

• Monday: 4.6 miles @ 10.30 pace

Tuesday: Weights and stretching

Wednesday: 4. miles @ 10 min pace

---------------

Monday: I had a lousy week last week and nothing went to plan

so on Monday I decided to make up for missing my Sunday long run

and thought I'd go out and do about 10 miles.

I was about 4 miles in and I was bored and didn't plan

the route well so decided to run to the gym and do a speed run on the treadmill.

So i ended up doing 8.2 miles including 5 miles @ 10.27 min pace

Then 10 x 2 mins @ 12km/hr with 1 min recovery in between

Then a km cooldown

Tuesday: 3 miles @ ? I didn't time this properly but it was easy on flat roads.

Thursday: 5k Docklands race, I just decided on Tuesday to enter this.

It was very warm and looked very congested at the start so I decided to start at the back.

The volunteers were very efficient in this race and managed everything really well.

Can't help but thinking that they should start this down by the 3 Arena instead as its just too narrow at the start.

Enjoyed it all the same.

Ended up going out Friday and Saturday so missed my short runs.

Sunday: 10 miles @ 10.30 pace. Took in my hilly route for this run, didn't enjoy any of it from start to finish.

I didn't feel like I had enough fuel in the tank, was dehydrated and the legs were tired.

• Monday 3 miles @ 10.15 per mile

Tuesday: 4.7 miles @ 9.47 on the Washerwoman hill route.

Wednesday: Weights and stretching - Only got about 20 mins worth of work done but got some stretching in which is the main thing.

Was planning on running the Leixlip 5k but forgot I had a previous appointment so had to leave it.

Saturday: 10 miles @10.24 - Ran to Dunnes which is 5 miles and bought my groceries, was able to get my groceries taken home which allowed me to run the 5 miles home including about 8 strides towards the end of the run. Got caught in a really heavy shower. Calf felt a bit tight. The path was very slanted and I felt like I was running almost on the side of my foot at times. Got the massage gun out for that and stretched a good bit.

Sunday: 6 miles including my hilly route

• Monday: Took the bike out for the first time in months and also did some walking.

Hopefully start doing some cycling as cross training from now on.

Tuesday: 3 miles @ 10.14 - Three loops of my estate.

Wednesday: 1 mile warmup, 3 miles @9.05, 1 mile cooldown

Weights and stretching -Sweating like a pig.

Thursday: Had to meet someone so got on the bike for a few miles.

3 miles recovery run @ 10.11 pace

Sunday: 10 miles, ended up doing the local estate then to Phibsboro, dropped into the Chemist for a glass of water and the back up Washerwoman hill to my mother's house. Should have done a run yesterday but preoccupied with painting the bathroom the past few days.

• Week 1 of base training

No Plan at such but trying to build up a base and start working more runs into the week as currently only doing 3 runs and some weights plus stretching maybe twice a week. Might try and get out on the bike more with the fine weather coming in.

Tuesday: 1 mile warm up, 6 x 800m @ 8.20 pace, 1 km cooldown.

Friday: 1 mile warm up, 1 mile @ 9.10 pace, 1 mile slow, 2 miles @ 9.10 pace

Stretching, 3 x 12 - Single leg deadlifts, 3 x 10 Assisted pullups. Assisted dips, 3 x 12 Rows etc.

Monday: 7.8 miles @ 10.14 pace

• Registered Users Posts: 10,454 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Welcome back.

What's the base building philosophy - any particular approach? Some run to start off with. How did it feel?

• Thanks Murph.

I was feeling good on the 800's, felt like I had another few in me so I was happy with them.

I had a stressful few days in work so felt lousy on the Friday run and then really good on the longish run on Monday. I could've done another few miles.

I have no solid plans yet but if I can get into a groove, add another day or two - I might do a 10km mid summer and see how I get on then from there.

I see your running has been going very well with the PB there a few weeks ago, well done on that. You're doing very well.

• Tuesday: 25 mins recovery

Wednesday: 1 mile warm up and 4 x 1200m @ 8.20 pace with 200m recovery. 1km cooldown

Friday: 1 mile warmup, 3 miles @ 9.10 pace Then later 4 mile walk

Saturday: 11 mile cycle

Sunday: 8.2 miles @ 9 minute pace or else 7.5 miles @ 9.36 pace.

I lost count of my laps. So im not sure which I did but it was okay either way. I was tired after the cycle yesterday. Hadnt been out on a bike all year and it was hilly coming back from town.

• Week 3 Base training

Tuesday: 1 mile warm up, 1600m, 800m, 400m @ 8.20 pace, 1 mile cooldown

Weight training and stretching

Thursday: 1 mile warm up, 1000m x 5 @ 8.20 pace 90 secs recovery, 1 mile cooldown

Weight training and stretching

Saturday: 3 miles easy 10 min pace

Sunday: 8 miles @ 9.26 pace

• Tuesday 23rd: Warm up and then 3 x 1 mile @ 8.20 with 90 sec recovery and then cool down - This was a tough workout especially the last mile

Stretching, weights

Thursday: Didnt want to do anything laborious today so only did a short warm up and then 5km @ 9.05 pace and a short cool down.

I was happy with this run considering how lazy I felt beforehand and it felt very comfortable other than the profuse sweating.

I never got the weights and stretching in, too late for it.

I bought some new Glycerins, looking for some added support.

I ordered them on Monday and I see Brooks have brought out the new Adrenaline so will probably end up buying them as well.

During the week: 2 x 5 mile walk and 40km cycling

Sunday: 9 miles @ 9.45 and some stretching

• Tuesday 30th:

warm up and then 5 x 400 @ 8 min mile and 5 x 400 @ 7.45 mins per mile off 1 min recovery. Cool down

Wednesday:

3.4 miles @ 10 mins pace

Friday:

4.8 miles @8.45 pace. This was supposed to be a tempo run but i had no watch on me. Must dig it out.

So I just ran and made an effort to speed up.

Sunday: 8 miles @ 10 min pace

16 km cycling and 11 km walking during the week.

• Advertisement
Advertisement