Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

DNA Starter Kit as a Gift - Where to Start?

• 04-01-2022 9:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 636 ✭✭✭

I'll start by saying I have no knowledge whatsoever of the world of genealogy!

My soon to be 15 year old son has informed us that he'd really like to delve into this world and as it's his birthday next week, we're thinking of buying him one of the kits that are often advertised whereby you order a kit and send off a DNA sample which in due course reveals that you are, in fact 18% Afghan or whatever.

I have looked at Ancestry.com and also MyHeritage.co.uk

Both of the above require me to create an account before I can order the kit. I'd rather he create the account in his name, is that possible?

Also wondering which of the above sites is best, or is there another, more Irish centred service?

Am I too ambitious in thinking we can get one of these kits by next Monday??

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

You might get the kit quickly but the results will take about 6-8 weeks.

Though meanwhile you can start a tree the old fashioned way by listing what you do know now, father, mother, grand father's, grand mothers, brothers, sisters, cousins etc.

The more first hand information you can start with the easier it is to filter out the wrong information that might be suggested.

After that it's down to using geneology search engines such as Ancestry or Findmypast. Findmy past will have access to the England Wales 2021 census in a day or so, which might sway your thinking if you have English/Welsh branches of the family.

I did a Heritage DNA test but got nothing but 5th cousins back so far and nothing that tied in with known family history so they aren't the be all end all solution you might be expecting. Though it hasn't stopped me from doing an Ancestry DNA kit recently ( different database afaik )

Anyways hit him with it and let him off the leash, you never know who or what he might discover

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Oh and not forgetting irishgeneology.ie or the free Irish censuses of 1901/1911

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

If you have a read of our stickies on DNA testing and beginning research, that will be of use to you. DNA isn't much good without doing the traditional research with records.

Definitely go with Ancestry DNA as they have the biggest database and you can transfer into My Heritage for free.

I've never bought a kit for a child before so you may have to buy it for him. But you can arrange for him to manage it himself.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement