Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Two Johnnies for 2fm Drive

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Was going to post this as I'd come across it this afternoon when scrolling also.

It's madness how much this has been blown out of proportion. They're not on again today - possibly back on Monday but who knows.

It's also a bit scary in my mind anyway that some people are saying this is on similar level as the horrible stuff Eoghan McDermott & Al Porter were accused of.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭yagan

The two lads just make Montrose nervous, mostly because they don't actually need RTE.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,725 ✭✭✭StevenToast

I wouldnt take the lads off for what happened earlier this week....

Id take them off the radio for being shìte....

"Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining." - Fletcher

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

If you genuinely think that, its equal parts stupid and terrifying.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

Like them or hate them, they have a solid following both here and abroad which is big business for the likes of 2FM. What annoys me is the level of witch hunting that's going on in this country. We wont be able to laugh at anything in the not too distant future without someone getting offended. There is a lot worse doing the rounds than reading out a few funny car stickers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,248 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

It's some stretch to say there was any funny car stickers involved in fairness.

I certainly do.

It's absolutely ridiculous and insane to think that what McDermott and Porter were accused of and making a few harmless (albeit unfunny) jokes about what others have on their bumper stickers are even close to being on a similar pyramid, let alone the same one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭SAMTALK

As my granny used to say " you have little to be worrying you " .

Absolute joke the way we have gone in this country. Everyday someone has to offended by something. Lady on the radio the other morning offended at the wording on childrens clothing. Feck sake get over yourselves

Like or loath the 2 lads , everyone knows what they are like so 2fm should be ashamed the way this is being handled.

IF you dont like something, don't watch it, read it, listen to it, buy it etc..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Will RTE pay them off with 6 months of what would have been their contracted fee and leave it at that?

I don't think you do. But you should probably take a look at yourself and your own attitudes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭Tork

I am no fan of this pair (I hate bogger humour) but I hope they don't get axed over this. Some people are incredibly easily offended these days and are just waiting for the next slip-up by someone. I hope they're back on air on Monday.

I have. My attitude is the things the others were accused of are LIGHT YEARS apart from making a few off colour jokes and even saying that they are a much lower level on the same pyramid is **** stupid.

I'm very happy and content with my attitude.

But I suppose that puts me bang onto the same pyramid as sex offenses by your standards.

Feel the same way. The lads have built a following outside the Montrose bubble so if anything McQuidFM has shown itself to completely out of touch of the audience it says it exists to reach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,003 ✭✭✭enricoh

After watching the Twitter clip above, talk about blowing something out of proportion. Can only tune in 2fm at work as signal bad n most of presenters are just the usual woke, politically correct beige rubbish. Thank god trump is gone that's all they could drone on about.

. At least the 2 boys can actually have a laugh. That one that got the bullet Louise mc sharry was insufferable- dunno what her listener numbers were like but she was a miserable yoke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

One of them was on Liveline earlier and despite his best efforts actually made it worse. He came off very badly when trying to explain what the segment was about. He was lucky he only got on air with 3 minutes to go in the show otherwise he’d have completely hung himself. It had Maria Bailey-like car crash potential had he had more time on air.

Regardless of their intent, they were laughing their h*les off in the video at the content - and that’s the issue that has RTE in a tizzy, not so much the content.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,346 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

• Registered Users Posts: 8,741 ✭✭✭withless

Sad that we are missing their Putin/Ukraine takes: "Hes some boy hah?" What kind of tractors do they have over there hai?" etc

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

the Johnnies off air can only be a good thing no?, their a national embarrassment ....two muck munchers who 'think' their the great craic

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,417 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Yep. Nothing got to do with misogyny or anything like that I just think that townie junior B hurler mad gas bstrd culture is an absolute load of braindead shte

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 664 ✭✭✭Flyer1

People are gone fair soft.

M

Can you imagine the outrage if a straight male interviewer asked a woman something similar? Even if it was 15-20 years ago and uncovered today they would be asked to apologise and probably suspended from their job for a number of days, will that happen to Jennifer, no way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭gamecube

The Liveline interview today by Johnny B was some load of B.S.

When he was asked why they were laughing at the language used on the car stickers, his answer was....

They were not responsible for the editing of the podcast?

So we are to believe that the person who is responsible for the editing of the podcast put in a clip of the 2 johnnies laughing

when they never laughed at all in reality?? What a load of s***e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,241 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I'm sure 2FM could just hire "Rory Stories" instead and it'll cheer everyone up again.

M

Yes spend €5.68 million on him so BBC don't sign him up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,278 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Number of licensed premises is going down, prices in off licences are going up and Irish people are realising what they found funny after a couple of scoops isn't actually all that funny when their stone cold sober.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭screamer

I say fair play to them for being able to build a career out of nothing, but this piece is totally tone deaf given what has happened here in the past few weeks. I’ve a feeling they’ll lose the Montrose gig, but sure as they’d say themselves…. Could’ve been county

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭siblers

It's the reason why they are off air is the problem

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭anewme

I've only seen the edited clip, so I understand some of the language may have been worse. These radio double acts are notoriously hard to work, Dermot and Dave, (what is that Nonie thing?) Jim Jim and Nobby, Colm and Lucy.......hard to get one that actually works in any shape or form. The 2 Johnnies are similar, not much better but certainly not much worse.

This was in bad taste and tone deaf given the current climate. But I don't believe there was anything malicious behind it. Just lack of cop on. Their Liveline piece was almost worse, someone must have given that chap the worlds biggest shovel, sometimes better just to take responsibility and own it. That said, they apologised and it was juvenile crap so they should just be let move on. This should not be career ending stuff. They do not deserve that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,731 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

They were doing a commentry on offensive bumper stickers rather than making offensive comments, again context is everything or it used to be anyway.

I've seen such stickers in the wild and they are a good indicator the driver is an ignorent boy racer type.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

They look very shook in the latest video.

I feel bad for them. They don’t deserve this complete overreaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,499 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I saw the videos at the time, and they were basically celebrating/having a laugh at them.

now I’ll admit Maine if the stickers made me chuckle, but I don’t agree with them being on cars in public, my 7 year old asking me on a walk through Salthill what a fanny wrecker is isn’t ideal.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

2fm aren't gonna sack the Johnnies over this.

What's going to happen is RTE will be scouring the Johnnies podcasts for any offensive content a la Joe Rogan. They'll be scrubbed from online.

Then the Johnnies will be reminded of values etc RTE stand for and that anything that can be construed as misogynistic, racist etc. is not acceptable.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

I feel bad for them as well. However, whoever is advising them needs to be sacked.

I only listened back to the Liveline piece as well. I thought it couldn’t have gone any worse and he’s lucky he only had a short time available. The whole blaming the video on the staff is something that nobody ever buys. It’s always the intern’s fault. I know he went on to say that it’s their page so their responsibility and all but you take every win and accept every mistake as a team.

I thought the video last night as well started very strong, but then it just went down a slippery slope. If they are apologising, they should be telling their fans not to post things like ‘ye have nothing to apologise for’, because that sort of thing, right or wrong, does not help the situation whatsoever. They are apologising so support their decision instead of fighting back against it. They didn’t address that for my liking.

This issue could have been put to bed very quickly but instead it’s being dragged out a lot longer than it should have been and that’s down to them rather than anyone else.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭daydorunrun

my point is misogyny exists and it’s not black and white, there has been a lot of high profile attacks on women and the conversation around them has discussed if simple issues like attitudes, by young men in particular, towards women can exacerbate some situations. I’m not an expert on any of this and don’t know if it’s true but I do know it’s easy not to look for cheap laughs from from crude jokes, especially if one has a public platform paid for by license payers money.

As I said they don’t deserve to be ‘canceled’ to use that awful term but the reasons why some people have issue with it is deserving of some discussion.

of course there are the perpetually offended, I just think the timing of this is raw after the Ashling Murphy travesty where many men had to examine their own attitudes given the messaging that if your not part of the solution you are part of the problem- jokes about dropping the hand and making cheeks wiggle has to fall into the later category.

as I said, this whole episode is an opportunity for people to learn rather than being polarised in to opposing sides. For the record I do believe there are very few that sit around telling inappropriate jokes in bars.

“You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, never try.” Homer.

I think it's just basic Dublin snobbery and as pointed out if it had been a Montrose celeb reacting to the same material there'd been no backlash.

2fm took on the lads to reach the followership they'd created, but rtes version of life outside the M50 clashes with actual people from outside the M50.

The lads followship are more likely to listen to Beat and Redfm than 2fm, so it just shows rte think they can dictate taste rather than adapt to it.

If the lads get ditched by rte they'll actually be better off for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,111 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

Two garden variety Paddys who deserved to be cancelled just for being so cringy.

The country doesnt really get worse than this

Why is it that any criticism of them seems to always revolve around “Dublin people don’t like them because they’re not from Dublin”-type comments? It’s just a lazy excuse and it was the same lazy excuse used when anyone dared to criticize RTÉ-favourite “Killinaskully”. I don’t know anyone who likes them or their “humour”, and I work with people from at least every province if not every county in the country. It would be like saying “you don’t like Mrs. Brown’s Boys because you’re not from Dublin”; and think about how stupid that sounds. I don’t like Mrs. Brown’s Boys or The 2 Johnnies because they’re just not funny, not because of geography.

Most people are smart enough to judge them on their output, which I happen to think is lowest common denominator crap.

Also, saying they were only showing the car stickers to highlight how crude and distasteful they were in a complete lie - they were clearly laughing at them and thought they were amusing. They would be far better off admitting that and at least being honest rather than trying to spin this because judging by the appearance of one of them on Liveline yesterday spin is not in their skill set.

How did they build up followship so?

They weren't plucked from obscurity. I heard similar criticism of d'unbelieveables being cringy, unfunny, embarrassing etc from the Dublin bubble.

The two lads are simply too real for Montrose. Cancelling their doesn't cancel their followship who've been laughing at stupid car stickers for years already.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,025 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

“The only lads who have that sticker is lads who don’t have sex”. This was said after one of the stickers (think it was the squealing one).

This is being ignored because the vast majority of complainants haven’t actually listened to the segment.

The segment was silly and I’m sure they regret it now but it is being completely overblown. The cancel brigade leaders have once again thrown in a few grenades and left their foot soldiers to battle it out online and attempt to ruin someone else’s career.

i didn’t say they don’t have a following. They clearly do. As does the equally shite Mrs. Brown’s Boys.

But to say that only Dublin-people or the Dublin-media etc. don’t like them because they’re not from Dublin is an overly simplistic argument and generalisation.

What I said is that I work with people from all over the country, none of whom find them funny. Maybe it’s because I’m a little older than their target audience, or because I and my colleagues work in a “profession” (as opposed to say a trade etc) - who knows, it could be a variety of reasons.

But to say people don’t like them because they’re from the country is as daft as saying someone doesn’t like Mrs. Brown’s Boys because Brendan O’Carroll is from Dublin.

If you say you like Mrs. Brown’s Boys because the cast are from Dublin I’d tell you you’re an idiot because that’s not a reason to like the show. Equally if you say you don’t like the show because the cast are from Dublin I’ll also tell you you’re an idiot and again that’s not a real reason to dislike the show. If you dislike MBB because you think it’s patently unfunny recycled jokes from the 1970s etc that’s an actual reason to dislike them.

The same applies to The 2 Johnnies. I judge them on their content, not their county of residence.

So do you like Mrs, Brown’s Boys?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,746 ✭✭✭Gusser09

So the lads look to be gone. Good news because they're brutal. The reason is crazy though.

Dermot and Dave next please.

Tell me honestly if an accepted rte celeb had released the exact same review of sick car stickers would they be cancelled?

You know the answer, they wouldn't. They're part of the establishment, the two boys aren't.

It's not just Dublin versus the country, it's about institutional thinking versus new media and obviously rte kneejerked this time.

As I said if it had been one of their "stars" they would have comfortable about defending the content.

The guys getting cancelled vindicates every criticism of 2fm bring redundant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Just look at the stuff Jennifer Zamparelli gets away with. The double standards would be hilarious if not so ridiculous.

I am the poster with the highest post count in Radio on boards. I have approximately 35,000 posts on Radio, 99%+ of those are critical of RTE and it's overpaid and untalented presenters. I would argue no-one - and I mean no-one has been more critical of RTE and it's employees and contractors than me on boards.

To say I'm criticizing people because of where they are from is ridiculous.

Where is the ex-2fm presenter whose name we can't mention from? South County Dublin. If you care to read my comments on him long before any details came out I was hugely critical of him and his bandwagon-jumping on the train of wokeness.

Where is Lottie Ryan from? Clontarf in Dublin. Almost too easy a target for ridicule. Almost.

Where is Ryan Tubridy from? South County Dublin. It's "delicious" (if you know, you know) how much I laugh at this deluded, entitled twit.

Where is Joe Duffy from? Dublin. You should see some of the stuff I've written about this buffoon.

I have made more critical comments about Ryan Tubridy this week alone than I ever have of The 2 Johnnies.

I honestly couldn't give a f*ck where anyone who is on radio is from. I judge on content.

The person I like the most on RTE Radio is Oliver Callan. He's from Monaghan.

I also like Sarah McInerney. She's from Galway.

You're also assuming I'm from Dublin btw.

Do I think RTE would cancel one of their own as you put it over this? In the current climate, yes, I do. They've (The 2 Johnnies) judged this very badly. They were laughing at the content, not condemning it. It was all a big joke. They also had a 2fm logo on the clip and were using it to promote their show. It's either arrogance or stupidity that led to those decisions, neither of which is a good look.

I said if it was one of their established stars (not where their from).

The institution happens to based in Dublin, but local radio and the internet have eroded the 2fm niche since the Gerry Ryan hayday.

The boys have appearing on todayfm without problems but the national broadcaster can't handle the change.

Again, you're not comparing like with like. Ryan is dead over 10 years. Time and attitudes have changed.

The 2 Johnnies didn't say or do anything this stupid on Today FM.

Also re. Today FM - they got rid of Al Porter based on allegations. I'm no fan of cancel culture but you could argue he wasn't given his day in court and to date nothing has been proven. Was that fair? What The 2 Johnnies did was on video and is there for eternity. You can't just erase that. What Today FM did was move quickly to protect their brand. 2FM are doing the same thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

Sweet Jesus, why are people not getting this?

They laughed at people who had these stickers on their cars, they called some of them scandalous. THEY WERE NOT LAUGHING AT WOMEN BEING CALLED SLUTS ETC.

It's like banging your head off a wall trying to get through to some people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Graham Important Timer

You know there’s another cairns/josepha madigan/Ruth coppinger type going through each one like a hawk to stick thr knife in

• Advertisement
Advertisement