Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Two Johnnies for 2fm Drive

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Are we this stuck for entertainers to have these pair of ball bags annoying the nation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

That is exactly what it was. I'm guessing you didn't watch/see the entire clip and are basing it off an ad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

If ya can’t lift her don’t shift her wha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha I’m a legend #topbanter

No, it’s not.

I did actually watch the whole thing and found it both stupid and juvenile - and I like Beavis and Butthead.

If you can’t see that it’s their behaviour when watching the videos primarily (along with the 2fm logo in it) that’s the issue here, I really don’t know what to say to you. They are clearly laughing along with the humour of the car stickers - despite their claims that they are condemning them. If you’re genuinely condemning something you don’t give it a huge platform and laugh along with it.

Did you hear one of them on Liveline yesterday trying to explain himself? Actually made it worse tbh. He was digging a hole and couldn’t stop digging, was lucky he was saved by the bell at the end of the show otherwise he’d be in even more trouble today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I'll try again, they were laughing at the fact that people actually put these stickers on their own cars.

Has anyone tried to abuse the woman with the "she's not a princess, she's a slut" sticker for abusing women?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I disagree with the criticism of them being because they are from outside Dublin, I'm from Dublin and just think they are a load of sheite. I loved Hardy Bucks, it's set in the country but isn't GAA this, GAA that, 'I could have made county' every 5 seconds comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭irs

I think people have the right the complain if they find something offensive but there has to some limit to it. If you are trying to make people laugh or entertain them there is always the danger you will say something that will offend people but as long as there was no malice in it I don't think anyone should be sacked over it. People will talk about attitudes towards women which is true up to a point but look at what happened to the incredibly "woke" former 2fm presenter which shows that things are a lot more complex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭ Graham Important Timer

What's going to be approved comedy now, is it now only approved comedy from these twits who get outraged on twitter, is it only straight men that can be made fun off (cough the sexism on the 9am-12pm show)...will everything have to be sanitized and be similar to a Michael McIntyre/Barney the dinosaur type of show so that so

Im no fan of these 2 but i think it would be bad form to let some attention seeking identity politics pusher win

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Sorolla

today I was at a funeral and after the funeral myself and a few other former hurling legends wet to the local pub for a few pints and sangwitches (we hate chicken rolls) and we got talking about our heroes and we are convinced that maybe this is a genius marketing campaign for the lads new show.

at the funeral today one of the nephews of the poor man that was dead was doing a prayer for the faithful and the little gasún prayed that the lads would be reinstated.

IT was very funny on such a sad occasion - there wasn’t a dry seat in the church

even the Padre had an auld chuckle to himself

You can try as many times as you like, but maybe you need to watch the video again yourself?

Let's assume the 2 guys find these stickers abhorrent (which I don't think they do btw). Do you really think the best way to "condemn" these types of stickers is to make a "comedy" segment about them, in which the two hosts are falling around the place laughing whilst discussing a subject that they claim they are serious about AND highlighting the existence of these stickers to people who may have been unaware of them through showcasing them- all wraped up under a "shure isn't it mad craic altogether".

I don't personally find the stickers offensive, I wouldn't go remotely that far; I think they're a bit stupid and the type of things mostly exhibited by boy racers of a certain age. I was never a boy racer myself as I certainly couldn't afford any sort of car until I was in full time employment post University. But one thing I wouldn't do is make a video about where I'm laughing my head off about them when I’m in my 30s. There's a huge difference for example in taking a photo of one of the stickers and sending it to a friend and taking the time to collate a selection of these pictures and making "hilarious" comments about the content when you are in the public eye and visibly laughing your heads off both at and with the content.

I'm not sure what the point of you asking "Has anyone tried to abuse the woman with the "she's not a princess, she's a slut" sticker for abusing women?" is? It's whataboutery. She's most likely not in the public eye either. It doesn't remotely change change what they have done.

If you can't see how bad this looks (regardless of any intent) then I'm afraid to tell you you're in the minority. The optics are very bad, as was the "explanation" on Liveline yesterday.

Post edited by ButtersSuki on

Can't see why they don't do the honourable thing & walk away from their golden gig.....no matter what way you dice it up they're tarnished now beyond redemption.... that radio show is only on 'life support' now..... they crossed the line BIG TIME & there has to be repercussions/ sanction. Personally, in the very brief time they were on air I thought it was rubbish anyhow.....nothing new there... the "we're lads you'd meet down the pub..ah we're right craic" has been done better before. As regards the defense put forward on liveline...... cant figure out who suggested that?? Mustve been maria baileys 'advisor'

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Kylie06

not getting into the quality of their material nor the rights/wrongs of the topic …

but on a purely human level I’ve huge sympathy with the lads. I can’t see them back with 2fm, nor rte in general. That in itself will have a domino effect on other ‘corporate’ gigs that they get. I’d say their careers are hanging by a thread right now. I imagine their podcast will still proceed and they’ll go back to their shows. Hopefully they can make a living from it…..

dont really want to see them out of work. John Mc Mahon had the look of a man who thinks they’re done on their fb video.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

I watched the facebook video they put up. They said "we'll never stop doing the podcast" and "see ye Monday for podcast 211"...no mention of the radio show. I wonder if they have been let go? I would have thought there was 0 chance of that happening, just a slap on the wrist and an education camp.

I have to say, the video apology and Liveline appearance was very weak. They apologised and said they planned to condemn the stickers...they did in their holes! If you make a mistake, own it, don't try and weasel out by saying you had planned to make it known you disapproved of the stickers. They're talking out both sides of their mouths because one one hand they're saying they weren't saying the stickers were funny and had planned to condemn them yet they're also saying that they're comedians and they say stupid **** sometimes and make mistakes. So which is it lads??

And then on the fb video they said if anyone has these stickers on your car, to talk to the women in your life and if your mate has them, pull them aside for a chat.

• Registered Users Posts: 322 ✭✭pjcb

• Advertisement

Any official (rather than speculative) update?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 364 ✭✭gamecube

Their end of their Instagram post did give a hint that their short 2fm stint is over.

But maybe they dont know if they are fired yet?

Also they might know that they're fired but Dan Healy is not releasing that statement yet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭Glebee

There waiting for everyone to forget about it and move onto something else to be outraged about.

They are still on the 2 FM website,and you can listen back to the first three programmes..

Always an option .... a well used & reliable tactic in Ireland......but I can't see rte / the 2 'crazy bucks' selling it on this one. Obviously, it's the only game in town right now....give it a couple weeks low profile..... a joint well scripted "sincere"apology......a 'donation' of say 2weeks pay to a suitable charity ( Dublin rape crisis centre would work) & then some crafty top drawer PR work ...... they 'may' pull off the comeback but it'll be a "hard" sell ( in fairness, rte do have some heavy hitting PR firms on speeddial). There's a guy in cork/ redfm called niall prenderville .... he got himself into serious hot water ( on a flight to cork) & managed to climb out of the quicksand so it can be done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,812 ✭✭✭Addle

I wonder will all the team be back on the podcast?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The difference with the Prenderville one is that it was a few years back, and the social media mob wasn't as harsh and cancelling as it is now.

He didn't do anything that was seen as misogynistic or sexist, he just had a Tom Tank on a plane.

These guys are now in an era where any such material can get you slaughtered. And it looks like they will have to take being cancelled as the mob has it's say.

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭Ballycommon Mast

The whole thing would have been completely forgotten by Thursday if 2fm hadn't taken them off the air.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,148 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

I am no fan of their comedy/humour but I think this whole thing is just over the top. I have no doubt that they're decent guys.

I think if RTE backed them on day one, with a private reprimand it would've passed. The fact the RTE let this run into and through the weekend would make me think they're gone. It's like that old political cliché.....if you're still explaining on Tuesday you're in trouble.

Post edited by mr_edge_to_you on

in the current climate they didn’t really have a choice. Things have changed a lot and very quickly on that front in recent years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,303 ✭✭✭RoTelly

The problem is that you will continue to get people who are offended about something.

The ad was really a miss-fire TBH however I would disagree with you on "Let's assume the 2 guys find these stickers abhorrent (which I don't think they do btw). Do you really think the best way to "condemn" these types of stickers is to make a "comedy" segment about them"

Comedy can bring attention to issues, however the edit didn't show their "comic abhorence" to the subject, and this is the problem.

IMO it was never a great move for 2FM. I'd be more impressed if the axed Game On, is their a Game On thread?

______

Just one more thing .... when did they return that car

Yesterday

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

I assume the car stickers were not actually sent in by listeners.

The lads made these stickers up, as if they were really from listeners ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,881 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

My family and three other families took a surf trip a couple of years ago that ended in Donegal with lots of kids including pre-teen girls & boys. There was some sort of yokel dullard with an entry level BMW that had a large decal with "TYRES RIPPING, FANNIES DRIPPING" emblazoned across his rear windshield. Not the sort of stuff that would be tolerated where I'm from.

His driving what was to be expected with his obvious IQ, education, integrity & morals. The brash boy virgin & his (male) buddies got themselves bogged down on the beach on an incoming tide. He was getting no help from the multiple 4x4's that drove by him but from what I heard it was "car dripping, ego ripping".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,700 ✭✭✭Gusser09

That's good for you. I'm sure your mother does too. Would her fanny be dripping if she saw it?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Is Game On still a thing? Wow. Lols.

As regards Na Johnnies, if they ain't on tomorrow, they ain't on ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Gant21

Two dumbasses

My mother is deceased, but she had morals and integrity and she would not put up with it in her community. That's aside.

Are you OK with that & would you be happy to have a neighbour displaying that sort of stuff with pre-teens, sisters, young or older women present?

Would you be happy to have your young daughter see these sort of displays regarding the female genitalia?

No but i wouldnt be overy bothered by it either. Arseholes will he arseholes and his car getting wrecked is karma i suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Comedy comes in and out of fashion with what you can say, especially on RTE 😂...

https://www.tiktok.com/@bc45654/video/7069516892565769477?is_copy_url=1&is_from_webapp=v1

Sorry, yes comedy can bring attention to issues. What I should probably have said is that you need to tread very carefully when tackling subjects like that in order not to come out the wrong side of it - and that requires a skill and an intellect beyond the capabilities of the two protagonists.

My favourite comedians at the moment are Anthony Jeselnik and Daniel Sloss. Both of these tackle subjects far more delicate and controversial than anything The 2 Johnnies have ever touched. But they're both very skilled at what they do. They understand language, presence, demeanor, tone, subtlety, and nuance in a way the other 2 don't. To even compare them is laughable, it would be like comparing Lionel Messi to a League of Ireland player. To quote Banarama (lol) "it ain't what you do, it's the way that you do it".............

What the two lads don't seem to get is that you can't say you disapprove of these car stickers and be visibly "falling around the place" laughing at and with them, and going to the trouble to collate the images and make a segment about them in which your language and body language don't exactly condemn them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,470 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

My favourite comedians at the moment are Anthony Jeselnik and Daniel Sloss. 

OK, so reading your posts,your horrified about the comment's made by The 2 Johnnies, but Anthony Jeselnik is fair game.

I find that hard it hard to belive, that someone who agrees with the treatment of the 2 johnnies recently , has even heard about Anthony Jeselnik.

Dark comedy usually isn't palletable for the easily offended

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Fair play to the lad who prayed for the 2 johnnies at a funeral (post above). Legend!!

• Advertisement

Did I at any stage say I was personally offended by The 2 Johnnies segment? No, I didn’t.

But I UNDERSTAND the furore about this in the current climate and because of the platform. And I UNDERSTAND why 2fm feel they are being put in this position - they have to protect their brand.

Jeselnik or Sloss wouldn’t be doing their routines on 2fm-type stations. Even if they were guests they would know their audience (and paymaster) and act and behave accordingly.

There’s a huge difference.

Also, Jeselnik and Sloss are funny. Also a difference between them and The 2 Johnnies.

Be some craic if the 2 lads said right good luck 2fm we are off to today fm !

It'll more than likely be Tipp Fm. The keep er lit, sucking daysil, hape of spuds schtik would be a winner.🤣

Rte prob will get the 2 lads to do some sort of woke “awareness” course and make a tv series out of it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 5,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭GoldFour4

Jeselnik would be cancelled so hard if he was more popular here. I was at his show a few years ago and find him very funny - he doesn’t have a following to warrant cancellation. However I think if AJ was performing next week and Holly Cairns etc happened to hear one of his controversial quotes then they probably would go after him too.

There would be no controversy about the 2 Johnnies podcast content in the states at all. They tend to laugh their way through a lot of stuff on the podcast so I get your point about delivery to an extent.

• Advertisement

Jeselnik is one of the most successful and famous comedians in the world right now. To say he doesn’t have a following here is daft. He has a huge following in America, which is undeniably more work and cancel culture driven than here and hasn’t been cancelled - why do you think that is?

Also, if you think Holly Cairns could cancel Anthony Jeselnik……🤣🤣🤣🤣

I'm talking about in Ireland. I know she obviously wouldn't cancel him worldwide and you know that's not what I'm inferring. If he was playing next week and the woke brigade got on to it - there would be a lot of calls for the show to be cancelled.

And she’d have absolutely ZERO success in attempting to do so.

Sloss is playing here in a few weeks. As an experiment, why not contact her and see if you can spurn her into getting him cancelled then if you’re so confident in your thesis?

The difference is the audience knows what they’re getting and what to expect. The 2 Johnnies are now in the (part-time) employ of the state broadcaster and that brings with it a different level of responsibility that two lads shooting the sh*t on a podcast.

I'm not familiar with Sloss tbh. They made a fairly good go at Jimmy Carr recently for some of his jokes and Dave Chappelle got a hard time last year so don't think anyone is invincible.

Okay it wouldn't be successful - you win that. I'm not saying it from a place of hate on Jeselnik, I'm a fan of his and have seen him live as per previous post. I just think that there could be public outcry again some of his jokes if the right mob got a hold of them. Cancellation was far too strong a term to use on my part!

Sorry also - I didn't say Jeselnik doesn't have a following here - I said he doesn't have a huge following which is fairly factual tbh.

Post edited by GoldFour4 on

• Advertisement
Advertisement