Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Designer Handbag - What do you do?

• 05-01-2022 7:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭

I really need to understand this one.

When someone gives you a new designer handbag that you selected, you like etc.

What do you do with the old designer handbag?

Do you wipe your memory of it?

Do you simply swap your stuff over & then throw it into the trash?

Bye bye baby. Loved you while I had you. Too bad now though. You've been replaced.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,456 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Keep it , sell it or give it to a charity shop. Unless it's wrecked, why not just keep it for backup / occasional use?

ps Not a handbag user, although I do have a few non-designer manbags...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭NSAman

You could do like my mother did. Spent a fortune on a Marc Jacobs in New York for her for Christmas after she said she needed a new bag.

christmas morning arrived, she bought one from M&S.

move on a few days later a cousin arrived to visit her.

Christmas presents exchanged … going back to the states I said “shure if you don’t want the bag, I’ll bring it back and get you something else”.

Guess where the expensive bag went… M&S ruled…no wonder cousin was dropping by every week for a year ..:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,456 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ A bit confused as to what actually went on there. 🤔

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭fits

I think he offered to return it but she gave it to the cousin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,635 ✭✭✭✭fits

This year I’ve ditched the bag altogether as everything cashless now and I don’t need much besides my phone anymore

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭wandererz

Great to hear the comments.

The reason i asked was because this year, as with past years, i was made to go to the bag shop in Kildare - i won't mention which one.

We buy the bag AND the purse.

Wife is happy, happy, happy.

Later, i find the previous version in the TRASH.

I mean, in the friggin bin!!

OMG!!

is this an OMG situation? I don't know.

I'm fabbagasted!

Perhaps i should be Flabagasted.

I know not which!!

It's just so ...OMG.

Or perhaps it shouldn't be be so!

But then it wouldn't be OMG.

But then those people wouldn't be able to even spell OMG.

I AM sooo .....OMG

But... i got the handbag ... AND ... she loves it...!!!!

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Throwing a perfectly good handbag less than a year old out is incredibly wasteful and I think I'd judge someone hard for that.

Unless of course she puked in it out on the lash and it got destroyed, then fair enough.

But I wouldn't be buying anyone an expensive anything if a year later it was dumped for no good reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,642 ✭✭✭wandererz

Did this happen to you??

Go on, admit it!

😀😁😁

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

No I'd never waste a good handbag 😂. I did have a friend who puked into her clutch bag once though. Saved the taxi soiling fee but fishing her keys out of it at her front door must have been well grim. I think I'd rather pay the soil charge!

I'm not into designer labels, and too tight to buy them so I only ever got a fancy expensive bags as gifts. I'm careful with them and I think they youngest one is about 8 years old. I had one Guess bag I had to bin after 15 years because it was literally falling apart and I couldn't come up with a way to repair it. I did give away some that weren't my style to a student I know who sells pre-loved stuff online so at least she will have got a few quid out of it and someone gets a bargain bag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

I like a good bag. I give my old one to the Charity Shop when I buy a new one. I clean it up as best I can and figure someone will be delighted with a secondhand designer bag at a good price. And the money goes to charity.

I'd never throw it in the bin!!!! I'd never throw anything that I could donate to a charity shop into the bin

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,653 ✭✭✭✭amdublin

Eh. You wha' now

I can't make heads nor tails of the sequence of events in this post

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,244 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Absolutely disgracefull unless the bag was ruined. She could have sold it second hand herself or donated it to charity. Maybe with times being tighter now she might have more respect for the things she has.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭seenitall

I love my handbags and am rather monogamous with them; I only ever have one at a time that gets used for nearly any occasion, and I wear them til some time after they really stop looking in any way presentable only I don’t even notice cos shur it’s MY BAG! :D

They tend to last me 5-6 years each but mine are usually just from high street, not designer.

Last year I bought my first designer-ish bag (Radley) and am super happy with it, it’s getting lots of compliments as it’s very pretty, elegant and absolutely huge without looking huge, which is a consideration for me as I often end up using my handbag as a shopper. Chuffed with myself as I got it at a big discount in TK Maxx, one of those days that was for just browsing the shops aimlessly.

Before that one, I had one from Oasis, and the one before that was from New Look. I always kinda bellyache when I finally have to dispose of them, as I want to do it in a most sustainable manner. They took the New Look one (faux leather) in the Zipyard alterations shop, and the Oasis one I ended up putting in the recycling bin for such items when I was in London. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,244 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I think she is saying that her mother gave the expensive bag to the cousin.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 100 ✭✭msdurden

Designer bags are investments, even the "cheaper" ones.

Personally I collect & store them, and I use them for specific occasions (every day, travel, nights out etc).

I also use those bag inserts - means I don't stain/damage the insides and can easily swap from 1 handbag to another.

If a bag is no longer my style or has too many bad memories, I'd donate or sell it on (charity shop, designer exchange or eBay)

I'd never just throw it out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,291 ✭✭✭em_cat

I’m very confused, not sure what’s happing here….

Are you saying your wife tossed a perfectly good handbag, designer or not, in the bin just bc she was given a new one? So wasteful and you really should have a word with her…

Every single one of my hand bags goes on the contents insurance, they are designer and have value. When for what ever reason one is no longer needed or wanted I sell it and have even had a couple auctioned.

My OH is always flabbergasted when I tell him the resell value of some of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,830 ✭✭✭Demonique

If I bought someone a designer bag and they chucked it in a bin a year later I'd have a right go at them and tell them they're not getting any more designer bags until they learn not to be so ungrateful

Disgusting wasteful behaviour

Advertisement