Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone for non technical user

• 05-01-2022 9:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭

Looking for some suggestions for a smartphone for a friend who has had a mild stroke and is not good at technology

He currently has an old Samsung s6 on its last legs so needs to upgrade

Budget is 200-300

He is tied in to Eir for another 9 months

Camera semi important

Good battery

Ease of use

Decent size (no monster phones please!)

I was thinking another Samsung as he is familiar with the layout and menus etc. Or maybe a decent mid range Android that would be close to stock android and get updates for a few years or maybe something with an 'Easy Mode' similar to the option on a Samsung

Other option would be maybe an iPhone as they tend to be easier to use than an android. However in the budget I can only see refurbished iPhone X so not sure if that will be supported much longer

Suggestions welcome!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

All android phones use the same os my advice is buy a 6.2 inch phone Samsung that has the same easy mode . I'm not an iPhone expert but as far as I know iPhones have just one user interface there's no easy mode menu, option, also iPhones are expensive unless you buy a preowned one that's a few years old the Samsung galaxy a22 looks good but the screen is 6.6 inchs might be too large maybe, it has an easy mode

look on YouTube galaxy A22 enable easy mode

I think iPhones are more complex to use than android unless there's a basic easy mode i don't know about

I used an iPhone about 3 years ago for 1 hour browsing YouTube etc just to try it out

The Samsung s21 has 4000ma battery and 6.2 inch screen I assume it has an easy mode

To www.eir.ie,mobile upgrade put in his phone no, it'll say if he can qualify for the upgrade price if he's on a bill pay contract eg

Not on prepay

I think the phone price is 199 euro unless you get an upgrade discount or just look on eir.ie brand phones Samsung they have 3 or 4 phones avaidable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

My huawei y6 phone has an easy menu mode though I never tried it, I can't see how iPhone is easier than android, I prefer not to have to use a fingerprint reader or use face recognition every time I turn on the phone , I think android is easier to use for non expert users maybe those options can be disabled I don't know .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

I would go for another Samsung. I think I went from a 6 to an 8 and still good 3 yrs later. I think is an A8 so some less storage?

Advertisement