Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

221 - any pics of new cars ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭GusGus

Does anyone have the actual 10 day numbers for registrations

• Registered Users Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭hardybuck

Horses for courses. Some people will get value out of an EV this year and others wont.

Personally, I traded in an older diesel for a 221 petrol yesterday. I'm doing much less mileage these days, and more short trips. While I seriously considered an EV or hybrid, the numbers just didn't add up.

The hybrid version of the car I bought was 19% more expensive than the petrol model, and the boot was 25% smaller due the batteries. The EVs I was close to buying were about 25-28% more expensive than the model I bought. You'd want to be doing a lot of urban miles, and having a lot of annual services, to make up the differences in cost.

I suspect that my next car in 3 or so years will be an EV, and I'll have no problem at all getting an excellent trade in price for my petrol due to the continued shortages of used cars on the market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 519 ✭✭✭gearoidol

My experience with hybrid in my first 10 days of ownership are as follows,in comparison to owning the same RR Velar car in diesel form for the last 3 years.

191 RR velar 180bhp diesel , €600 road tax and doing about 40mpg .

221 Rr Velar 404 bhp (300bhp 2L Petrol ,104Bhp Electric ) 60mpg in hybrid mode which lasts about 150 km at present ,after battery runs out , about 28-30mpg when running in petrol only tax €150 and insurance slightly less so that nearly covers the cost of charging at home each night 191 car was always felt a little bit soft i feel , to allow for the batteries they have sprung the hybrids slightly harder and i feel it rides much better Hybrids are now around 5k cheaper than the 180bhp diesels

One of the main benefits is the silence in the car compared to the diesel ,especially if one spends a lot of their time in traffic.

Even if someone was doing big journeys everyday say 300km , you would get the first 150km @ 60 mpg and the second 150 km @ 30 so average 45 mpg for your trip while having 300-400 bhp on tap ... hard to beat that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

I've seen 4 221s

3 were Ioniq 5s. They are cool looking.

1 was a yaris

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

The missus picked her's up today at last.

Not sure what the delay was - number indicates it was registered early on jan 4th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,260 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

I wouldnt buy one. They can feck off with their complicated drivetrains and PRNDLtronic gearboxes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭sk8board

“By 2025 the percentage of EVs will be a lot higher, and that is not propaganda.”

true - but on the flip side, EVs are iterating so quickly that all early adopters to date are ending up pretty similar to an ICE buyer, selling a 3-5yo version of an EV that has lower range and features than the newest one, and perhaps even cost more to buy.

look at all the EVs to date as an example - in the beginning it was early leaf and model S buyers, then the likes of the €40k e-Niro (which depreciated just like the petrol one), and now we have the likes of the Fremont SR+ versus the same MIC M3 with new battery tech.

E.g I still think I’d prefer to have a 3yo €30k Golf in a good spec to sell in 2025 and not an entry level €34k ID3.

Finally saw some 221’s:

suzuki jimny

kia ev6

ford puma

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Miscreant

That Jimny would be rarer than the other 2 for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

I finally seen my first 221 today. A red Hyundai i30 221-KY-237 all the way up here in Offaly but looking sparkling like it had just come out of the showroom.

Did not have my phone with me to take a picture unfortunately 😕

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭RedorDead

You are confusing Hybrid Electric with Plug in Hybrid Electric. HEVs cannot be plugged in but have a battery that the cars brake energy charges. Last year in total just 15.76% of cars sold had a plug comprised of EV (8648 or 8.24%) and PHEV (7891 or 7.52%). A further 16.2% then were Hybrid electric vehicles which accounted for 17,021 - mainly Toyotas.

The number so far in 2022 as of Jan 17th vs Jan 17th 2021 is:

ICE 5991 (48%) vs 9967 in Jan 21 (69%)

EV 1404 (11%) vs 583 in Jan 21 (4%)

PHEV 1238 (10%) vs 639 in Jan 21 (4%)

HEV 3844 (31%) vs 3298 in Jan 21 (23%)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

RedorDead,

Thanks for those figures, which are very interesting. PHEVs not far behind EVs despite grant being discontinued.

For the Hybrid figure, are Mild Hybrids included in that?

• Advertisement

Saw a 221 today - a Claas tractor! 💪💪

Do you have the figures for all cars ? Please

The whole dataset for each month is published on beepbeep.ie on the 1st of every month

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭Sheedy234

221 focus Titanium

I do know this - my question was does anyone have the ten or 15 days figures . Those that are members of SIMI have access …

• Advertisement

Won't be long now until the January figures are available. From what I can see from being on the road, there are plenty of Toyotas sold. Have seen quite a few Ford Focus as well. I would imagine VW and Skoda sales have been impacted by the chip shortages. Haven't seen as many of them as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭goochy

221 D Porsche 911 in East cork best car sweeney so far with new reg.

It’s only the 4th new 911 registered here in over 3 years

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭mailforkev

That can’t be the case surely. Pretty sure that I’ve seen a few new 911s in recent years locally. There’s a cracking newish Targa I see regularly enough.

Maybe they’re imported. The data is easy to search on Beepbeep.ie

Almost 150 taycans sold in the same period, which is where a lot of 911 money has gone.

petrolheads don’t buy new 911’s, wealthy men who want ‘a sports car’ do, and then we buy them 5-15yrs old.

thank god for folks who buy new cars.

I'm one of those folk myself this year, decided to dip my toes into the electric world with something a little bit offbeat and fun.

Ms

I have seen one of them on the roads up in Dublin and I will say it looks a lot better in the metal than in pictures.

Well wear.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭goochy

well wear - i just worry about all the technology and how it will work over time - especially the cameras / lack of side mirrors. Should be ok with a Honda .

@AMKC I agree that they look better in the metal, they're a bit more purposeful looking. Mind you, I already loved how it looked in pics so that was a key selling point. Very happy with it so far.

@goochy It's my first Honda but they do have a decent reputation for engineering and quality, so hopefully is all good. The side cameras work brilliantly in practice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

The camera system will undergo similar validation to other safety devices like brakes, rather than a normal rearview camera, which would be classified as a "convenience feature". (Although nowadays even reversing cameras are subject to similar validation as they are mandated on US vehicles)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

@mailforkev Now that’s a nice car and a reliable brand to boot unlike most of the budget EV’s you see around.

Very nice @mailforkev. I bet that is fun to drive and looks like an ideal run around car.

Think Honda will have all their equipment well tested.

Cheers lads. It’s a lot of fun alright, very agile, nippy and extremely well equipped. Feels well built. Bought it for local pottering and commuting into town.

We also have a big Volvo to cover the practical stuff so I was in a fortunate position where the limitations of the Honda didn’t really matter to me. Wife prob thinks I’m a bit mad. YOLO as they say.

That is a nice balance there. Totally agree that YOLO!

Just bought a new Ceed SW PHEV ourselves. Traded our previous PHEV.

As we only run the one car we have the ev driving for local runs and the ICE for any long mainly weekend journeys. If we were running two cars something like the Honda e and a bigger ICE car like a Skoda Superb would be the way we would go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Those Honda's are such a cool little car. I wonder if we'll see many of them on the roads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭griffin100

Arkana Hybrid RS Line. Not everyone’s cup of tea style wise but the wife is very happy with it. Not a car for motorway driving given the power output but suits her needs. Really well spec’d as well. She had planned on a new Qashqai but much preferred this. The Qashqai is also silly money compared to the Arkana.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭passatman86

That Arkana is nice bit of a bmw x6 look to it

Ms

Very nice. Well wear. What engine is it? The new Qushqui is offal dull anyway. An Arkana is much more stylish great choice.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭griffin100

It’s the 1.6 petrol hybrid. It’s not bad acceleration wise but once over 100kph it starts to struggle a little bit, but then so did the 1.6 diesel X Trail it replaced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,871 ✭✭✭CrowdedHouse

A Toyota Yaris Cross

Seven Worlds will Collide

Ms

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Looks lovely, great colour. I don't know what Toyota were smoking when they chose the gold/yellow colour for the TV advert, not even like the same car.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭ofcork

Saw a 221 toyota highlander today looks to much like a rav too me not a 65k plus motor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

We took the plunge and aren’t looking back. We test drove a mk 8 Golf and and an ID.3. As we specced them, there was not a lot of difference in the price with neither of the two cars we were comparing being either the highest or the lowest spec in the range. But the ID.3 just felt so much better: very solid with an excellent suspension. Also couldn't escape the feeling that this is what cars are becoming. I did regret leaving behind the manual transmission but I have to disagree with whoever said the ride and handling are inferior due to the weight. Yes, it's a heavy car, but they really have thought through the configuration of the chassis. The batteries are all under the floor and give the car a low centre of gravity. It's also balanced close to 50/50 with the weight in the middle, giving a low polar moment of inertia that facilitates steering. Also: RWD, unlike the Golf, so no torque steer or understeer. Has a very small turning radius as well. Plus it's a lot peppier than the Golf we test drove. Hit the accelerator and it throws you back in your seat. Also, the acceleration, since it's an electrical signal telling the motor to step up, is instantaneous.

I also feel that this car will retain its value better than an equivalently-priced ICE car. For one thing, they are having supply trouble due to the chip shortage. VW have already sold their entire 2022 production of the car. This suggests that there will be a similar shortage in used cars in 3 years' time when the PCP runs out. And there's no reason to believe that demand for these cars will be decreasing. It felt like now was the time.

Anyway, I'm happy with our choice. YMMV. Here's a pic:

Well wear. Haven’t seen an ID3 in that colour, looks good with those wheels and the black roof.

Electrics are a much nicer drive than a regular hatchback. And I have a long held opinion that while a manual gearbox is nice on something genuinely sporty, autos were always nicer for just driving like a normal person. Electric is nicer again.

• Advertisement

Best of luck with the ID.3, as above that's a great colour/ wheel combo. Also agree that they do feel a bit like the future of motoring and are a much nicer car to use day to day that any engine/ gearbox combo in a Golf.

The resale value would have me thrown though and would be my biggest worry buying a car like that. I'm not saying the arse will fall out of it or that it will be worth SFA in 3-5 years clearly that's not the case but the big thing that will get EV's selling to the masses is increased range and manufacturers are aware of this. If there is an ID.3 Mk2 in 2025 or 2026 with a WLTP of 750kms and a real world 550-600kms, will that nail the value of nearly new, 2-3 year old cars? Probably IMO. But maybe technology wont move that fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭eggy81

Saw a 221 ioniq 5 early Friday morning on the way to work in clonee area. Wow. Real head turner. I was really amazed at how much of a look I wanted to get at it. Those lights are class looking front and back. Like an 80s video game or Star Wars or something. Hard to describe. Shape of the car is what I like too. Nicely proportioned. First ev that could be described as a normal range car that I genuinely would love a closer look at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

@Toyotafanboi

A couple of points about resale value on the ID.3 bearing in mind that you could well be right.

1) I don’t think people have range anxiety as much as they have charger anxiety. As the charging network is developed, the usability of a car like this increases.

2) I don’t think range is going to increase by leaps and bounds in the next 3 years. Don’t forget: until a lot more high-powered DC chargers come online, bigger batteries mean long charge times. There are also limits to how much battery you can put in a car this size barring some major breakthrough

3) Not everyone can afford a new car. So even if there were some breakthrough in range, there’ll still be a growing market for used EVs while supply is constrained by the production problems this year. The affordability of new electric cars now is also largely a function of the gov’t subsidies. It’s hard to imagine them going away entirely but I could see them being reduced. Any reduction in the subsidies increases the value of used EVs.

Anyway, that’s my thinking. Time will tell.

Very good points in fairness, i don't disagree with you. The future is certainly interesting with topics like these in mind.

Have been driving an ID.3 myself the last few weeks. I've been using a granny cable at home when necessary which is painful but not the cars fault. Decided not to charge it there on Thursday night with 69kms range showing, drove to work 26kms away on Friday morning and the range read ---kms after 19kms traveling and gave no reading from that point until I arrived which is hair raising enough, watching 2-3kms fall away for every km driven.

Sure, maybe i should've charged it but until the cars get better at predicting range then i will stick with range anxiety. For a car that only has a max range of about 300kms, it was claiming to have approx 20% remaining and then it only executed less than half that before thinking it was empty, despite finishing the journey.

i think this is a beauty - they are well finished inside too . Great spec btw

• Advertisement
Advertisement