Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

221 - any pics of new cars ?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

I feel the same. I love the look of them.

I walk past 2 every day walking the dog and always feel like I should look into buying after seeing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭PaulJoseph22

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭GusGus

Some really interesting figures out for Jan 22:

Toyota with a massive 20% market share .

clearly Vw group have issues getting orders out as significant enough drop in all their brands - apart from Porsche which sold 113 - some increase for them - must be best Jan for them in years.

pure electric at nearly 11%-clearly helped by very impressive Ionic and EV6 numbers .

shows how market has changed - Renault sold just 2 Meganes this jan -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭goochy

Mercedes have narrowed gap between them and other two premium german brands. Land rover only sold 120 vehicles - not great when there are 6 dealers - supply might be an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭mailforkev

My little Honda is one of 5 this Jan. We’re now up to a grand total of 49 registered in total. 35 of them in Dublin. Can’t be many rarer new cars still on sale than that.

Actually, my blue 2022 is one of one.

Yes that’s rare but expected - but what happened the Fiesta at 22 for jan - must be serious supply issues

i think that’s why it’s been pipped by the Corsa as best selling car in the U.K. after years on top. The chip shortage has not been good to Ford.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,284 ✭✭✭ongarite

Supply chain issues are seriously hindering potential car sales and then as a consequence driving up used prices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 645 ✭✭✭Killer K

Is that type info only available to SIMI members?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,318 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Thats terrible for Renault but Jan next year will be much better for Renault when the new Megane is out.

How are Dacia sales doing?

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

Supply is indeed an issue with LR, I spoke to one of the Dublin dealers last week about a RR, he told me it would be late this year or even early next year before delivery. Wouldn’t even discuss an order until the autumn because he didn’t want to value my current one at this stage.

Ms

Petrol and diesel cars have once again seen a fall in market share but petrol cars are now the dominant fuel type for the first time at 28.6%, while the market share for diesel has declined to 22.4% in Ireland.

Seen this today. Good to see.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

Registrations of new electric cars reached their highest yet, with 2,714 registered in January 2022 compared to 977 in January 2021.

Market share for hybrid cars is now 26.5%, 8.4% for plug-in hybrid and 10.8% for electric, a record market share.

Petrol and diesel cars have once again seen a fall in market share but petrol cars are now the dominant fuel type for the first time at 28.6%, while the market share for diesel has declined to 22.4% in Ireland.

Cars with automatic transmissions have increased their market share for January to 57.1%, overtaking manual transmissions in popularity for the first time.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

The top 10 bestselling car brands in January 2022 were: 1. Toyota, 2. Hyundai, 3. Volkswagen, 4. Skoda, 5. KIA, 6. Nissan, 7. Ford, 8. Renault, 9. Peugeot, and 10. BMW.

The top 10 bestselling cars in January 2022 were 1. Hyundai Tucson, 2. Toyota Corolla, 3. Toyota RAV 4, 4. Toyota C-HR, 5. Toyota Yaris, 6. Nissan Qashqai, 7. Hyundai Kona, 8. Toyota Yaris Cross, 9. Skoda Octavia, and 10. Ford Puma.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭sk8board

I looked at ordering a fiesta ST in November and was told ford were effectively cancelling all existing orders and moving them to the new face-lifted model due out this quarter; so re-tooling production lines might be a reason.

manufacturers have also been dropping cars with lower margins, pushing the available chips into high margin high spec’ing cars

Just 22 teslas, all m3?

presumably that’s some anomaly with their shipping schedule and there’ll be a glut next month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

Ford are just going for high margin stuff at the moment; the priorities are Puma, Kuga and the Mach E thing (I refuse to call it a Mustang, what an insult to that badge to put it on an electric crossover yoke, so far removed from the concept of a muscle car never mind a Mustang).

Toyota have done phenomenally well, which if the EV fanboys were to have you believe is impossible because they are supposedly a 'legacy' car maker about to go the way Nokia did once the smart phone came in, but then again, unlike them, Toyota lives in the real world and knows exactly what its customers want and how to keep them happy.

In addition, they have weathered the chip shortage storm much, much better than rival manufacturers. It's easy to see why they're doing so well with their hybrids, they give you big real world reductions in fuel bills and CO2 emissions, often at a much lower price than a full blown EV, yet still have all the convenience and range of a standard petrol car. As well as being a dyed in the wool petrolhead, Akio Toyoda is a very, very shrewd operator.

Even as a car enthusiast I'm really becoming a fan of them, what with their trialling of the hydrogen internal combustion engine, the GR range of sports cars / hot hatches, and so on. They're not the purveyor of white goods on wheels they once were.

Thanks, I was on that but couldn't see/get to the level of data that would show how many blue Honda e or silver Toyota Corollas for example that were registered in Dublin in January.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 701 ✭✭✭Sam the Sham

If you use the filters you can get that information. Here's using a filter for Honda electric cars in Dublin (there were only 5 sold last month).

Thanks @Sam the Sham , was using my mobile so that is probably why I couldn't view the filters.

Ms

I see there was aa many Mitsubishis, Jeeps and Suburas sold as Rolls Royce lol. A big fat 0.

That's understandable fir Rolls Royce as not too many of them ever sold here and we'll we know Mitsubishi have pulled out if Ireland but for the other two brands its not very good.

How much longer before they leave Ireland I wonder.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

Not that bad really for Renault. They are ahead of Peugeot which is good. The new Arkana has all but replaced the Megane now as it is better value and more stylish as well as being what most consumers want these days now anyway.

Renault sold 485 Arkanas in Janurary so good going and 483 Clios so that's still very popular too.

Some Kadjars there too I am sure.

Still when the new electric Megane comes out at the end of this year or beginning of next year the Megane will become popular again.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

It will be interesting to see how these current supply issues will impact the smaller and bigger players in the longer term.

I was surprised how poor the Jan 2021 figures for Subaru were as well. I know they have been hit very hard with the chip shortage and have struggled in Europe with emissions regs. I take it that operating in Ireland costs them very little and they have a very small dealer network.

For the likes of VAG group, I wonder whether this will damage them in any way in the future. Will they have difficulty winning back their previously strong market share?

Agree - overall very good for Renault - Captur not doing as well as it should . Also the kadjar replacement should bolster things next year .

• Advertisement

Amazing performance from Toyota really, accounting for 4 of the top 5, and their top seller is the expensive rav-4.

they even sold 650 of the Yaris cross 😳

VW clearly have delivery issues, so let’s see how it goes during the next few months - only 110 Golfs registered. Beepbeep shows a normal January for the Golf is 700-1600.

Post edited by sk8board on

BMW sold 30 of the €100k iX and only 16 of the €76k iX3.

for reference they sold 112 X5’s (108 were the phev, 4 diesels)

really shows where the chips are going.

sat in the iX at Joe Duffy last week and I can see the attraction as a city-based Chelsea tractor with decent range, if I was in that price range. Imho The looks are so divisive as to be attractive, in an odd way!

Jeep ireland are now part of the Gowan group- so expect a big push this year . Subaru is a strange situation - dealer in Cork had a full range of cars in showroom up until recently even though they only sold about 30 cars in whole of ireland last year ?

Ms

Subaru do have some nice cars but the prices for them are just crazy. Almost 50k for an XV and that's getting on now. It used to be 30k and even at that it was overpriced. No one pr very few anyway in Ireland is going to pay the priced Subaru are now. They need a new Impreza and a smaller car too.

Jeep. Well they have a hard road to climb. I know a hotel owner who nought one a grand Chorokee I think it was back in the mid naughties and it gave noting but trouble. They ended up changing it for a Lexus. Much better car. Jeep need to prove they are well built and reliable now ir no one will buy one because they are not cheap. Its a pity really as the Wrangler us cool but do you see any of them here nope. Yet you see loads of Land Rover Defenders.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Ms

New Sandero near me. I seen am old lad checking this out. He must have been trying to consider was it worth changing from his old model to a new model one.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Advertisement

have to say those Dacias look well. wonder have they improved how they drive and crash test ratings - whenever i hear Dacia mentioned i think of poor crash test results

Ms

Yes they have. They are a perfectly safe car. This new one is based on the latest Clio.

As for driving they drive perfectly good. Was in the last model and while not the most exciting it drove well.

Anyone seen a new Kia Sportage on the roads yet? I have. Did not get to take a picture of it do.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Don’t Dacia get the crappy NCAP scores because they’re missing tech stuff like lane keep, rather than being structurally poor.

And yes, I saw my first new model Sportage on the road earlier this afternoon. Looked alright, interesting looking if nothing else.

The Tucson and the Sportage are both very interesting looking cars imo. I like the new styling on both. However, they are in my mind overshadowed by the Ioniq 5 and EV6.

Ms

I think the Ionic 5 is dull and boring. The Ioniq before it it's predecessor that is was a far nicer much more stylish car. You would think the I5 was meant to be made before it.

The Kia EV6 on the other hand is a stunner but it's interior is very disappointing for a 50k car. No soft touch anywhere. Very bad. The new Sportage has a much nicer and classier dash. I hope it feels that way too. Have heard it has lots of soft touch on it. I like the Tucson but I think the new Sportage is much classier especially inside now compared to the Tucson. Hyundai will have to give it a whole new dash when they revamp it next year.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

I really like the Ioniq 5, more so than the EV6 (know that most people wouldn't agree). The Ioniq 5 is more understated. Can't comment on the interiors of either. Agree that the previous Ioniq is a very nice looking car.

In general though, I prefer what Kia does in terms of styling over Hyundai. I would imagine the Sportage will be a big hit again for Kia here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,541 ✭✭✭Leonard Hofstadter

I simply can't see what all the fuss is about either the Ioniq or the EV6. Neither is a looker (and yes, I've seen both in the flesh), both are SUVs and thus needlessly heavy and big. The weight is of course exacerbated by the fact they are electric. To be honest the only reason there is any interest is just because they're an EV and that's the current fashion.

If they were petrol or diesel, people would write them off for being exactly what they are: yet another bloated and heavy SUV in a world where there is a climate emergency.

Post edited by Leonard Hofstadter on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,917 ✭✭✭✭Toyotafanboi

I do agree, i think the Ioniq 5 is a bit of a joke and is going to date at a rate of knots. They will be a hugely undesirable ownership prospect as a used car 4 or 5 years time IMO.

Fair balls to anyone buying one, for whatever their reasoning but they wont last.

@Leonard Hofstadter I tend to agree with your general points. Don't think anyone should really be fooling themselves in purchasing an EV6 or Ioniq 5 for environmental reasons. The offering of 20 rims alone makes a joke out of their environmental credentials. That is before you get into the overall environmental impact of production and how the electricity is produced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Surprised to see the captur not doing so well too. Fairly fresh model. Did they get a big price rise or something?

Did think Irish buyers would like the arkana alright.

• Advertisement

Looks like I was wrong about Toyota- as ever, they were spot on with where the market was going re diesel and are more popular than ever. They’ve added lovely style and design to their cars now too. Can only see their dominance grow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭zg3409

Going a bit off topic but the range displayed to empty should never be trusted. They are like mpg on brochures. Typically they are a bit optimistic while you should be pessimistic. Typically they base the range on the efficiency of the last 5 trips, but if the last 5 trips were slow about town trips and you suddenly go on a long motorway trip the actual range could be half of what is displayed.

You need to keep your car well topped up, and assume very bad range if you do winter (range drops in winter), freezing (range drops again below 5 Celsius), rain (efficiency drops) , high speed (anything above 80km/h. Even going 120/130km/h is drastically different than 100km/h and first 5 minutes of driving uses a lot cabin heating.

So allow half the range displayed at 100%, as often the motorway range is less. Over time you will learn how far to push it. To push range you may need just confirm you have more than 50% left for return leg, if not slow down or stop to charge. You can usually drive it like you stole it, only longer trips need some checking and planning. You should never plan to use your last 20%, that's your emergency reserve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,887 ✭✭✭zg3409

Teslas in Ireland are built in china and only make right hand drive in batches maybe two times a year. The model y is due in right hand drive this year which should drive up numbers, but it's a bit expensive. Tesla are seeing competition from most other brands, and they don't have a dealership network of existing customers to move from ice to EV. Tesla has caught up model 3 backlog recently, but there may still be a few month delay if you want a specific colour or spec due to lead times and ship crossing ocean times.

Ms

Maybe it just the limited engine choice that Renault are offering with the Captur now. They are all petrol no diesel. The price for it is not bad starting at 25 thousand euro. I do however certainly think that price is one of the reasons why the Megane did not do so well last month as it getting quite expensive and an Arkana is better value than it now as well as what most people want these days. That and a new model due next year too.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

yea I had a look at new Megan’s and a well specced one can get well into the €30k’s now. While a very good car it’s nothing new or exciting in truth.

The arkana is nice, it’s sort of an unusual car but still ticking all the conventional boxes. It’s definitely one Irish buyers would tune into with the high ground clearance and chunky looks. I see an autobox mid range can be had for over €30k which is competitive

Not surprised at the Yaris cross- another Toyota example of giving the market what it wants. Reminds me of the last daihatsu Terios (owned by Toyota of course too)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,822 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Ioniq 5 and EV6 are more energy efficient then a smaller ICE car.

Assuming an energy usage of 2.6 miles per kwh - you are looking at the equivalent of 87.62 mpg in terms of US gallons.*

87.62 us mpg is over 105 mpg UK.

So the vehicles you criticise as been too big in a climate emergency are actually not so bad after all.

Its better to be using a vehicle whose energy use is equivalent to 105 mpg then one that does 50 or 60 mpg.

Imo

*1 us gallon is equivalent to 33.7 kwh - so multiply the miles per kwh of the EV by 33.7

@Old diesel Have you factored in the difference in environmental costs due to production?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

delete

• Advertisement
Advertisement