Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Cricket Season 2022

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,546 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Wicket first over, Adair with it

3rd wicket. NEeded that one to break what was looking a solid partnership

89/3 after 14 overs. Big 6 overs to come.

114/4 going into last 3 overs. A couple of decent overs but Young just went for 14 in his final over

Irish fielding really poor today. Have given up at least 8 runs and should have had a run out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭fergiesfav

I'd love to know how many random batters have their highest score against Ireland.

They're letting this get away from them again

Pretty pathetic finish this from the quicks

158 the target, not going to be easy by any means

33 off the last 2 overs😡. That could be the game right there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭VillaMad

41-0 after 5 overs. Pretty decent start, but still a good way to go.

Paul Stirling as always the key.

• Advertisement

Poor shot by Stirling, straight to long off in the first ball after the powerplay. 50-1.

Haha first ball from a spinner brings a wicket. I'd play five spinners against us no matter what the pitch was like. They just cannot play spin!

Balbirnie bowled after a number of dots. Not good.

Delaney caught and bowled. Hopeless stuff.

And that's that, the spinners come on and end the game in 2.2 overs!!! Ireland have played countless games in the UAE and still cannot play spin!! Really really pathetic batting. Brain dead stuff from Stirling first ball from the leggie started it all. No wonder IPL teams don't look at him.

This is humiliating. I don't see how many of these guys can ever be picked again. They're 3/4 years showing they cannot play T20 cricket yet they still keep being picked. They need a massive clear out of this team, they are not good enough. Lawlor, Ford, Commins need to replace Balbirnie, Dockrell and Singh in that batting line. Singh is a bowler these days, he cannot bat, madness sending him in at 5. This should be Getkates last chance, if he doesn't do something today he should be got rid of to, he's coming up on 30 games and still hasn't contributed.

Tucker just scoops a shot straight to the fielder. Another horrible shot. This is horrendous from Ireland.

He is blessed that every other wicket keeper is worse than he is. Otherwise he shouldn't be anywhere near the team.

The decision to leave out Kevin O'Brien just makes less and less sense. Granted he is at the end of his career, but this T20 side doesn't have any power hitters after Stirling and just feels like a team with a load of all-rounders who can bat a little and bowl a little.

Ireland have a decent ODI side because most of them are good at accumulating runs but they can't go from ball one which you have to do at T20. It's two completely different formats, particularly in the batting and the side should reflect that. Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results reflects terrible on the selectors.

That clearout that fergisfav has suggested is long, long overdue.

In fairness that was a real team effort. They all contributed. The fielding was sloppy, the death bowling pathetic and the batting the usual rubbish.

As rubbish as the batting was, that's just where they are, they aren't any better than that. Despite playing at least once a year in the UAE they still can't play mediocre spin bowling. Bar Stirling the rest aren't international class, and even he gets out too often for breezy 30s, usually with a brain dead shot as opposed to good bowling. Balbirnie is a good ODI player, when as Villamad says he can steadily accumulate, but he hasn't the range of shots to play T20. It's no coincidence he never gets selected for franchise T20 leagues. He doesn't exactly worry bowlers. I'd genuinely leave him out of the T20 side now. He hasn't done anything of note in over 60 games. Give a McCollum or Doheny a shot, what have they to lose at this stage. If they fail to, bring him back in. A middle order of Tucker, Singh, Dockrell and Getkate is as weak as any associate batting order. After the WI tour I can't understand how Tector isn't playing. How is he worse than Dockrell? I wouldn't mind a top order of Stirling, Delaney, Commins, Tector, Ford with Doheny keeping at 6.

But anyway the batting was probably the least bad performance today. The quick bowlers again crumbled under pressure. As i said at the time those 33 runs off the last 2 overs were the game. It happens time and again, the amount of times we should restrict teams to 130 and they end up with 150+ is staggering. In fairness this isn't just the T20 team the ODI side do it to. Mark Adair is a good bowler but he seems to completely lose his lines when under pressure. Does any bowler bowl more wides at the death than he does? He seems to always follow a good spell with a rubbish one. He can't put consistent spells together. Josh Little is a good bowler but once he goes for one boundary it's like his head goes and he ends up going for 2/3 more. The last over was horrendous. It completely changed the game. I wonder is there a sports psychologist among the team, if not they need one, they're issues look more mind based than skills, they don't handle pressure. Craig Young is our more consistent quick, takes regular wickets to, but like the others tends have plenty of boundary balls in him. The spinners have been doing well, but we could do with them offering more wicket taking threat.

• Advertisement

Not exactly free flowing against the might of Bahrain.

38% of deliveries in the power play were dot balls, against Bahrain😱😱😱.

Stirling and Balbirnie are batting as though they think they need to bat the 20 overs. They obviously have no confidence in what's coming in after them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Peter File

100/3 after 15 overs is terrible. Let's hope Bahrain can't bat!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

That might look a decent score but that was Bahrain. Delaney got them out if trouble and even then he was dropped a stack of times.

In a perverse way I hope they don't qualify for the world cup. A world cup on the horizon is just an excuse to continue the status quo. If they didn't qualify the new coach has a mandate to rip up the current team and start again.

Ireland have a grip on this one so far. Bahrain 71-3 with the run rate required up to 12.5.

Craig Young by far the pick of the bowler getting all the 3 wickets from his over four overs.

Can Ireland close this out or will they struggle at the death again?

So Ireland win by 21 runs in the end. The bowlers did what they usually do by keeping things tight but they didn't really threaten to get many wickets which is the greater concern.

Germany next on Monday in another must win game to get to the semi-finals.

Imagine how much Delaney, Tector, Little, Tucker would've learned with a spell with a county side. Still though at least we played 3 tests in 5 years to make it all worthwhile

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭No_Hope_Club

Didn't think I'd ever say - must win match, cricket & Germany in the one sentence but here we are.

Having beaten the 31st ranked country Bahrain, Ireland must beat the 34th ranked country to progress to the semi finals.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 47 machomac

So just trying to get my head around qualifiers here. My understanding is that if we beat Germany and UAE beat Bahrain then we go through to the semi.

If we win the semi we get into the world cup.

Now am I right in assuming that the winner of the final will become Qualifier 1 and the loser will be Qualifier 2.

Probably getting ahead of myself but have an eye on having the oul stag do in Hobart in October where Qualifiers 1 and 4 will be based for there first three games.

Am I reading this correctly?

Cheers lads.

Cmon Ireland.

Advertisement