Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog friendly holiday ideas

• 05-01-2022 5:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭

We got a cavapoo last year and were nt on any holidays due to renovating back garden and a bathroom , so this year I d like to go somewhere for a week , maybe a hotel or something similar and I m just looking for any ideas people might have , I do nt want to put the dog in a kennel , thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭cmssjone

Lots of Airbnbs allow dogs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭.red.

We go camping every year and bring the dog. It's a lovely holiday if you've young kids but not everyone's cuppa tea. A campervan would be a nice holiday too but they can be as expensive as a decent hotel by time you rent and put fuel in them.

There's loads of air B&Bs that are dog friendly as long as they behave in the house when left alone.

I've never heard of any hotels taking non service dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,134 ✭✭✭dashoonage

I believe the casteltroy park hotel in limerick has suites and allow pets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,610 ✭✭✭muddypaws

Lots of dog friendly hotels around the country now.

The Ocean Sands in Enniscrone, Co. Sligo is one, right on the beach, you can either stay in a hotel room or self catering apartment with a dog.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 246 ✭✭com7

🐶 thanks for all the ideas ...never thought of airbnbs

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

The Twelve Hotel in Barna, Galway, allows one pet dog in some of their rooms. Nice hotel, good food, faaabulous bakery downstairs (if you go, don't leave without trying their bread and butter pudding 🤤🤤🤤), and beaches nearby to burn off a few calories!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Bananaleaf

Yes, the Twelve is wonderful! It has no toileting options in the room though, so if your dog isn't used to a litter tray (our's isn't) then there is a bit of effort involved in bringing him in and out.

We stayed in West Cork with our dog too one year. There is a fantastic b&b called Carbery Cottage and they have a wonderful setup. If you ask for the Seefin room, it comes with it's own little garden area - this was amazing, the week we went down the weather was unreal and we would sleep with the French doors open and himself could go in and out to toilet whenever he wanted. The dog would often go too 🤣🤣🤣

We also went to a nice place in Kilkenny called Rosquil House. This was the most recent of our visits and this was done only this July, so during Covid times. Ideal because it is a b&b but the self catering apartment is the dog friendly bit - so you are in your own little contained place, no sharing of cutlery and plates etc with others. The owners are lovely and they've a huge garden that you and your dog will have access to. You are right off the main road though so be very careful not to let your doggy out of your sight, even if the garden gate is closed- our nosey fecker wandered into the b&b house section and out the front door and I still get palpitations at the memory of the sound of his collar jingling away on the other side of the fence!!!!

We have 2 doggies now and I couldn't see myself going back to any of those places with 2 (The 12 only allow the one anyway I think) except the place in Durrus, West Cork.

Also, if you are loaded, Harvey's Point in Donegal is pet friendly.

I believe NI are ahead of us with pet friendly places, so probably loads more there. I can ask a friend who lives up there if you like?

Advertisement