Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

rotunda adoptions/nurse children

• 05-01-2022 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 46

Hi all,

Trying to help the son of someone born in the Rotunda in 1927, no father named, found in Enniskerry in Co Wicklow in following years as a nurse child, lived there till the 40's before moving to England.

Would any child born in the Rotunda at the time and put up for adoption go through any specific institution?

The mother is on the birth cert as being from Mayo, but that's all the info this guy has. Just trying steer him in the direction where he might get some info (with the qualifier that there might be none to be had)

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,413 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

There were no official adoptions in Ireland until the Adoption Act of 1952 so unfortunately it is unlikely that there will be much of a paper trail for your friend to pursue.

That being the case, has your friend considered doing a DNA test?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 46 paumurp

Thanks Hermy, I'll have more of a chat with him.

My sense was he wasn't adopted anyway - just lived with an 'aunt'. He lived with my father's family but they're not related to us as far as I can tell, so I'm guessing it was just a title used

Advertisement