Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is a 'a qualified builder or property surveyor' ?

• 05-01-2022 9:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

Hi

My home insurance specifies

'it is your duty to ensure that any flat roof forming part of the Buildings is inspected at least once in every 4 years by a qualified builder or property surveyor and any defect with

the flat roof is immediately rectified.'

These terms seem a bit vague. Does anyone know if they are well defined terms (in particular, what qualification exactly do they need to have to be a 'qualified builder') or is this terminology so vague as to be meaningless ?

Thanks,

Zozo

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Lenar3556

I would imagine it has limited technical meaning. If you engage someone who holds themselves out as a builder, roofer, surveyor etc. to inspect the thing at least every four years that should suffice. You should appoint someone who you reasonably believe to be competent.

The insurer will be trying to protect themselves from claims where a homeowner does no checks or maintenance, and then attempts to claim from the insurer in 15 years time for a new roof because a leak went unnoticed and now the whole thing is rotten.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,363 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Have you read all of the documentation provided by the insurance company? I would be very surprised if their legal people left the definition to interpretation. There maybe a separate document or appendix providing such definitions. If in doubt, seek clarification in writing from the insurance company.

In the event of a serious claim the insurer will seek to minimize the payout and ‘I thought’ or ‘Everyone said’ will not go far in a legal argument.

Advertisement