Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Djokovic

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭booferking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,024 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Not quite over, Australian Government didn't loose, they made no contest.

The minister for Emmigration still retains the power to cancel Novak"s Visa.

From a Serious Medical Condition, Confirmation of Covid infection, the loss of his personal chef, the undoubted Shenanigans that occurred.

Dec 16th was the date he got his confirmation of a covid infection, over the next 2 days he was out gallivanting.

Breaking news, to be confirmed,

VISA HAS BEEN CANCELLED, if true, I'm delighted

I care less about his vacinne stance, Arrogant prick got preferential treatment.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭KieferFan69

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,168 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,713 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

What I'm seeings is reports in (some) mainstream media (e.g. the Daily Express, the Independent) that there are reports that Djokovic has been rearrested.

In other words, those media are not saying "Djokovic has been rearrested"; they are saying "we are seeing reports that Djokovic has been rearrested". The reports are attributed to (a) Djokovic's father, in a tweet, and (b) a source called The Pavlovic Today, about which I know nothing. No mainstream media source seems willing yet to lend its own authority to the statement that he has been rearrested.

Djokovic wouldn’t be my hill to die on; he seems to put himself in it every time he opens his mouth. And some of his entourage and hangers on have some questionable motives to say the least. But he’s like a small but sizeable percentage of sports pro’s who are of the ‘my body is a temple’ brigade. They’re not going to be the ones clogging up hospitals. As the judge said, he couldn’t do much more. And before, anyone cries anti vaxxer, far from it, I just don’t champion locking people out of things over their medicine status.

Australia have really shown to be backward here. It comes across as a political and nasty ploy to try whip up anger at Djokovic rather than anger at their ridiculous, lengthy, and now rather pointless, border requirements. Classic politics, find a bogeyman to blame to deflect from domestic issues.

To be fair, those documents and that information only emerged in the last hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭costacorta

On RTÉ news that Australian govt has banned him and he won’t be allowed to stay . If this is the case he will face a 3 yr ban from entering Australia.

Let’s face it, two thirds of the ppl in this thread would be out burning witches or throwing rotten vegetables at ppl in the town square dock in medieval times. All coz of a virus with a 99% survivability rate. People have been given plenty of time to get their vaccines and prepare their lives. It’s time to let the rest of us move on. All this corporate-establishment approved indignation against the vax-free is nauseating. Let the man compete in the Open.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,323 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

You were wrong just own it.

Do you think it's acceptable to test positive and the next couple of days to attend multiple events in close contact with no mask? Simple question

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Barrita

It’s a bit concerning that a Federal Minister is threatening to use an individual power to still cancel the Djokovic visa despite what went on in Court. That comes with a 3 year further ban for him. The Judge today said “what more could he have done?” but he is a political plaything for a few it seems. Doesn’t matter what his vax stance is , this is worrying stuff from a first world democracy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Good.

He got his positive test at 8pm on 16th December and didnt isolate on 17th or 18th December. Hes a prick that put other peoples lives in danger.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

He has a legally acquired visa and proof of a recent infection, hence natural immunity. That should be everyone happy right?...

No they want to grind him into the dirt because they don’t like how he thinks and the fact he had the temerity to say no to the jab.

They want to punish him and to "other" him.

It has gone way beyond a public health response worldwide. It's a culture war.

Let there be no doubt about the date of confirmation of Covid infection from PCR test, that date was the 16th December, the following two days he was prouncing around, attending events.

In his own words, the transcript from Emmigration interview when he arrived in Australia.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

There are fit as a fiddle GAA players who die of sudden adult death syndrome, while extreme anomalies exist re_ covid with kids , those that died had serious underlying conditions, talking terminal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭redlad12

It's just a stain on his character that he gives so little of a **** that he would be hugging children whilst knowing he was covid positive. I don't really understand how anybody can defend that.

I didn't have that information, nobody had that information before it was submitted to the courts and then only released to the public in the last hour. We knew he was tested on the 16th but it wasn't known when he got the results back, until now.

He can appeal that and I got the impression the judge was saying in legalize that the Aussie government had not played fair and would not be playing fair if they took this course of action. Also due to there not being enough time for another judge to get up to speed with this he would likely be hearing the case. Hint hint.

What's your take on him going indoors with kids when knowing he had covid? I'm pro vaccine choice and anti covid restrictions. But that's shocking behaviour from him, fair enough it's called out. I still think he should compete.

• Advertisement

So what's your opinion on it now that you have the information?

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Capra

Some of the lads here are lunatics. They believe children and athletes are dropping dead all over the place at an equal rate to the vulnerable, obese and unhealthy.

I must say it's no wonder people have such a skewed view of the vaccines when all the places they can discuss them censor any and all dissent. All my posts and discussion from last night has been deleted for no apparent reason. Not a single bit of it didn't come from a credible source and there were no lies of misinformation in my posts. I made a post about the limitations of clinical trials and their manipulation. But some scumbag mods have felt the need to remove them anyway.

As I said in those posts Google the name Maddie De Garay and how she has been affected by her vaccine.

He didnt isolate after receiving a positive test. Thats scumbag behaviour.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

I had a colleague getting Guillan De Barre syndrome from the flu vaccine. It's all about playing the odds.

If any of Novak's supporters could defend his decision to not socially isolate after testing positive for covid on 16th and knowingly hug children whilst covid positive. It would be great to hear the defence. I'm all ears.

but I don't understand? what are the grounds for banning him now?

He has natural immunity, a legal visa and a judge ruling in his favour.

They are just kicking him out over spite?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

He'll likely never play an Australian open again

ITF will be delighted with this sequence of events..

It'll be Nadal all by himself for the next few years at Melbourne.

Surely children are the best people to hug as Covid poses them no threat?

Still defending his scumbag behaviour when he didnt isolate for 2 days after his positive PCR?

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Sounds like they doubt his truthfulness about actually having Covid-19, seeing as he was appearing at public indoor events with no mask the same day he's supposed to have got his positive PCR.

• Advertisement

You know its bad when this fool is defending you 😳

And look were this clown is tweeting from 🤔

They all seem to be choosing to ignore that...surprise surprise

Children are at low risk...he was at an event with a load of kids..if they get it they can pass it onto other people...and them to other people....

It would be far worse if he was out hugging grannies and awl fellahs surely.

Anyway, what does this have to do with the tennis?

Apparently, kids don't get covid/can't be immunocompromised/ can't pass it onto elderly relatives. Learn something new every day from the anti vaccination brigade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,158 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

If Farage thinks something is dreadful then thats surely a sign it should be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Not sure why you're surprised. Nigel Farage is famously against countries enforcing border policies.....

It would be a big shock if Nadal won the Australian open , Medvedev and Zverev are much better now

• Advertisement

My only surprise is how long it took Farage to hitch onto the Bandwagon

Nice deflection. This thread is to do with Djokovic and his admission to the Australia. Not tennis. Personally, I think he faked his covid diagnosis alongside a dodgy doctor rather than was actively infecting others.

Indeed. Bizarre to see all the self-described lefties shouting in favour of discriminatory border controls and bio-security police state policies throughout the two years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,399 ✭✭✭AyeGer

But those children could be hugging their grannies. That’s the point of isolating when positive. To stop the spread.

Perhaps Novak will soon consider taking up Rugby and learn about the art of a good Drop Kick 😉

Not really interested in your personal fantasies mate. The discussion is about his admittance to Australia not some meet and greet with children from a few weeks back that you disapprove of. You won’t let that get in the way of your moral crusade of course.

Funny how easily people are turned into pitchfork fundamentalists by RTE etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Expecting somebody to isolate whilst covid positive makes me a pitchfork fundamentalist. That's ..... interesting to say the least.

I am kind of glad it has all happened to Novak. There are so many layers to unpack.

But it has given us a very public microcosm of the pandemic, surrounding atmosphere and attitudes towards pandemic response as a whole.

His exemption tweet brought ire from a lockdown populace. Scot Morrison decided it would be politically expedient to stitch up Novak. So he conspired with border force to railroad Novak on arrival by cancelling his visa and lying to him about how much time they were going to give him to get legal advice. Having not been able to get the advice in the much shortened time frame border force confirmed the decision to kick him out.

This was obviously not good for the people who had already been waved through by border force as for the conspiracy to have any chance of working they had to hunt them down and deport them which is sadly what they did.

First he was denounced as an arrogant entitled prick who thought he could swan in. Then it transpired a less affluent, less influential, essentially unknown female Tennis player had come in by the same method prior to his arrival. A retrospective clean up had to take place via turfing her out to save face.

We have people delighting in political indifference/interference to fair judicial process.

We have contrasting headlines from Russian and Western newspapers highlighting that this is cultural and not health and safety pe se.

"hero who dared to say no" was in the Russian press. The western media have been less accommodating to him.

We have people trawling through his twitter timeline looking for pictures around the time of his positive test so they can say GOTCHA. Curtain twitchers writ large.

People even in this thread seem more concerned for the well-being of any close contacts than the Serbian people cheering and chanting both at home and at his hotel do. I see no Serbian media denouncing his appearance at the postage stamp event as a #golfgate or #merrion equivalent.

The west is projecting their values onto a different people who don't share all of the wests progressive values.

The same people who have a pop at Viktor Orban or who say "the polish aren't vaxxed because the don't watch prime time".

The amount of bile this topic has attracted makes me raise an eyebrow. Eamon Ryan was allowed to keep testing until he got the result he wanted to go to cop26. Did the Irish media/commentariat create a similar with hunt......I think not.

At the end of the day he has a legally acquired visa, NATURAL IMMUNITY and a victory in court.

But it is still not enough for a certain cohort. They want him punished for being different, for having the means and wherewithal to fight the system and or being proud of both of the above. The hate that he is not afraid of the virus and wants to get on with it.

And for me that's the saddest aspect of the last two years. The virus is not nearly as nasty as humankind have shown themselves to be.

Omicron is mild. In that respect it is the same as any respiratory virus ever.

You may have passed a fatal cold /flu onto an older or more vulnerable person several times already in your life but nobody shut down the country as a response.

Anybody who wants the vaccine has been given the opportunity to have it. Now for everyone’s sake we need to move on.

The Djokovic thing is 100% political. Nothing to do with public health. At all.

So you have changed from no children have died from covid...to only children have died from covid who had underlying conditions.

But that isn't even true either.

Plenty of other examples

• Advertisement
Advertisement