Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Djokovic

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 111 ✭✭kerry_man15

These comments sum up the case well...

"The court case that Djokovic won was over procedures ie the government said they would give him until 8.30 am to provide info but then dishonorably reneged and cancelled his VISA at around 7.45 am. If they had left it until 8.30 his VISA would have been cancelled and he and his entourage would be long departed from Australia by now.

From the evidence provided it was clear (rightly or wrongly) that he was not eligible for a VISA under commonwealth rules - ie he was not double vaxxed and did not have a severe medical condition preventing him from getting vaxxed."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,837 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

status, wealth, notoriety and fame have simply always opened locked doors… here is just another example….

funny how the Australians have always had strict policy on entering the country, who can enter, the rules that are to be abided by etc…

“You must be of good character to visit or live in Australia. This means you must pass the character test, and remain of good character.”

“You will not be admitted if you could ..

• be a danger to the Australian community or a part of it..”

basically if you are a famous sports person the rules don’t apply to you… comes as no surprise on looking that the government and PM there are decidedly right of centre…

one of the hallmarks of right wing organisations, people, political or otherwise is that they systematically and repeatedly fail to live up to the standards in life themselves which they demand from others…

Markus, bus driver, unvaccinated from Dubrovnik would be told to sling his hook.

There is a lot more to this saga than a couple of lines bow-tied up will summarise

These two podcasts in order are very good if you want to get an interesting and decent overview

[No Challenges Remaining] Episode 321: Deciphering Details of Djokovic’s Deportation Drama #noChallengesRemaining 

https://podcastaddict.com/episode/133676360 via @PodcastAddict

[

[The Sports Desk] Djokovic’s latest Australian victory: from courtroom to practice court #theSportsDesk 

https://podcastaddict.com/episode/133819130 via @PodcastAddict

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,971 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

This is a clear case where a VIP is getting preferential treatment to the ordinary man with the same laws and rules in play for both.

He should still be kicked out.

Cruelty never goes away, it’s only ever restrained. 

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭WTF...

Media reporting that the QR code on Novaks test result from Dec 16 was “not positive”. It’s since been changed to positive.

Additionally they’re reporting that on his travel entry form he declared he hadn’t travelled within 14 days of arrival in Australia. Looks like he had in fact travelled between Spain and Belgrade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭redlad12

Fantasies? Der Spiegel and a New York times reporter saying that his QR code was returning a negative test yesterday HMMMMMMM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Shouldn't this be in a conspiracy theory forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

There is no proof he had it other than the certificate saying he had it. If you doubt the cert then you are really doubting all certs from Serbia as you are saying an official cert from Serbia can't be trusted. That would be interesting if the Australians went down that route.

Would an anti-vaxxer organise a vaccine drive?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,323 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Why should it?

He had covid on the 16th, he turned up at multiple events on the 17th and 18th. Clearly there is something to it given how quickly his dad and brother (I am guessing) shutdown their press conference when asked about it yesterday. He also declared he hadn't travelled for 14 days before his arrival..which doesn't seem to be true because he flew between two countries...

My point RE: "roll red roll"is that his supporters can't see the wood for the tree when it comes to people they admire and they vehemently defend them even though it's obvious they have been devious. Would you be happy for someone with MDRTB to hug your child whilst actively positive? Some people on here think that is fine as long as the person is a sports star and famous.

A selected quote

"He was being pcr tested routinely people have claimed (not sure of source)

But as I posted on another thread earlier on about that Tennis awards picture

If it was a case of either wanting to believe either of (deliberately extreme in the case of option 1)

1. He spat into the mouth of each child as they arrived and left or
    2. He nipped into the back behind a group for a quick snap

There are those who will go for option 1 and those who go for option 2 and that was already pre-decided"

None of which negates that he wasn't socially isolating whilst covid positive. It's not even just about safety, it's more so about human decency.

The cert is being doubted by journalists. The QR code was showing negative test yesterday. Coupled with Novak's whimsical gatherings during his covid period , there is evidence to suggest he did not have it. Or he's a knacker. Either one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭jj880

Thats got to be on the upper end of travel declaration offences. Its 1 thing forgetting you packed some snacks in your luggage and then find out you arent allowed to bring them into Australia. You pay your fine.

But "forgetting" you travelled to Spain? Oh dear. I wonder what the top punishment is for blatant lying on a travel declaration. By that I obviously dont mean what will happen to Djokovic. I mean would a non-celeb nobody get jailed for that? Im sure its happened. I can't see how they can let him stay if its investigated and found that he travelled and lied about it on his declaration. Surely there'd be a massive backlash.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

I wonder what the top punishment is for blatant lying on a travel declaration

12 months in jail, but I assume most people are just deported.

Interesting to see his supporters on Twitter have now switched from "he followed all the rules, why should he be treated differently?" to "well, that rule doesn't really matter, he's hardly a terrorist like".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,469 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Hope he gets thrown out for 3 years.

He is playing with the system to make his situation fit when it clearly doesn't.

-Medical situation too late for exemption.

-Question mark over his declared travel.

-Not observing covid restrictions when positive.

Tennis Australia are probably as much at fault here as anyone but that doesn't mean government have to soften their stance.

Minister should have him questioned further.

If his covid cert was scanning as negative, surely that would give the Australian government authority to question his certification without causing a diplomatic incident.

They probably have enough to toss him out if they want now....but of course if they do that Djokovic will likely challenge it

I saw some of them saying travel within Europe doesn't count as travel....talk about clutching at straws...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Jaysus some amount of bile and publicity over one man and his COVID status

• Advertisement

Not sure if I've ever seen fake moralising on this level before!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,469 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Daniel Ricciardo (F1) returned to Australia after the race season finished before Christmas. He had to do 14 days or so in quarantine hotel before being released into population. He said he wasn't looking forward to it but we didn't see him cheating the rules to get out of it.

The first point I assume is to do with if he should be isolating while awaiting results of a PCR test. Your opinion is clearly that he should. Mine is that it is dependant on the reason for the test.

The second point is I'm not sure what. I asked who here thought it was fine that he was hugging kids while positive. The only thing you can find is a post from yourself on another thread?

And that is a world away from the Australian government staying its falsified and saying Serbian certs can't be trusted.

There is no evidence to say he didn't have it. There is indeed evidence that he is scum for being out and about with covid. However the only proof at the moment is a cert saying that he has covid.

You can doubt that evidence if you want but that's the only evidence at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

Those Australians who are annoyed, are rightly annoyed, but it is more to do with peoe escaping restrictions rather than anything medical or scientific. Djokovic can't spread omnicron. They are annoyed because of some sort of spirit of the law argument that has nothing to do with science. It would also be interesting to find out how many Australians are truly annoyed with him, rather than journalists putting words in our mouths.

Also on a related point the Australian woman's number one decided to not travel to play it as she isn't vaccinated. Didn't see that getting much coverage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Yeah I completely agree? I never said any of that

Sorry, I clearly misunderstood your post.

I thought your were disagreeing with my post that you quoted. Apologies

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭BurgerFace

Yeah, thanks for that well thought out response.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭El Tarangu

He was posing for photos with dozens of children 24 hours after testing positive for a contagious illness...

Why do you call people who don't wish to get a vaccine "anti-vax"? I don't see them clamouring for the vaccine to be banned as you seem to be implying. I don't have any tattoos nor do I want to get any. That doesn't make me "anti-tat", does it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,024 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

Border force now investigating declaration re travel prior to arrival in Australia, not entirely sure if Novak filled in the declaration or an agent but seemingly, Spain was mentioned but not Serbia prior to arrival in Australia.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Why do you call someone who chooses not to get a vaccine or doesn't want to get one for whatever reason an "inconsiderate arsehole"?. Ever hear of live and let live. Seems like you are the inconsiderate arsehole. Nobody is trying to interfere with your choice to get a vaccine. Nobody is trying to prevent you from getting one. Yet here you are trying to interfere with the choice of those who don't want to get a vaccine. You can't tie them down and force vaccinate them so you tut-tut, try to guilt trip them for not "going with the flow" like you do and play the emotional blackmail card. Why should somebody have something injected into their body just to placate other people's sense of paranoia. It's always the same with the mob. They take a position and anyone who doesn't share that position must be vilified. The mob rants about immigration. Someone disagrees with their points. That someone must then be painted as a terrorist sympathiser or a tree-hugger who thinks everyone should be allowed into the country and given a house and a load of money for doing nothing. Someone doesn't want to get a vaccine. The mob must froth at the mouth and call them "selfish bastards" or "conspiracy whackjobs".

What? Gadecki? She's the Australian number 10. Not really the same thing.

Apologies must have misread her ranking. But she is someone who isn't vaccinated and took the consequences on the chin is my point. As did others like pierre-hugues hubert

I honestly believe Djokovic and his team were likely constantly testing to try and get a positive test to get him in for it. They knew about the requirements months in advance. But it looks like they still managed to screw things up by lying/incorrectly filling in a form when it came to his prior travel. As well as letting him go to a number of events on the days following a positive test.

Wow the women's world number 233 has been bullshit exaggerated up to be the Best Australian Women's Player all of a sudden (she's not even close to Being the Australian Number 1 - way down the list).

Shows how much some of these fake moralisers here actually know about or give a sh1t about tennis!

Credibility shot in fairness.

🤣🤣🤣

She had no chance of making the main draw unless given an entry that her ranking doesn't deserve never mind threatening anything - what a sacrifice!?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

I heard a rumour that Djokovic insists on having 46 ICU beds ringfenced for himself in case he gets Covid.

Maybe read my correction before jumping down my throat....christ.

Others have done the same who didn't want to get vaccinated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,162 ✭✭✭messinkiapina

The whole thing is extremely fishy. He's told on 7th of December than a positive test will get him a medical exemption, he then tests positive on the 16th. It's impeccable timing to complete the 14 day isolation period and still arrive in Australia right on schedule.

Loads of people saying he did nothing wrong, but one of 2 things definitely happened. He didn't have covid at all, in which case they falsified the test somehow (bit out there maybe, but it is djokovic), or else he knowingly attended public events while covid positive. How can people say he's done no wrong in all this?

How could you even type that if you actually knew even the most basic first thing about tennis?

You don't even know who multiple grand-slam winner Ash Barty is by calling some nobody plodder Gadecki the Australian women's number one

Barty is not just the Australian number one, she is the number one ranked women's player in the world!

🤣🤣🤣

In terms of the discussion at hand he's done nothing wrong. If he's murdered 10 people last year it's off topic. This is 100% on the Australian government and their farcical treatment of this. If the Irish government grants asylum to a known serial killer and gives him a job teaching primary school kids, then the discussion isn't around how he's such a terrible person, it's around the failure of the Irish government ! Similar here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,971 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well I wouldn't call them names, I just pity them, they obviously are of low intellect and easily made believe stupid things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 455 ✭✭KieferFan69

Brilliant that the judge saw sense on this and didn’t submit to the legions of pitchforkers and hypochondriacs. People will look back in a few years and wonder what were we like!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

So now it looks like Djokovic didn't lie on any travel form as he never filled a form out. Tennis Australia filled out Djokovic's form for him! Not Djok or an agent, but Tennis Australia.

He's going to get kicked out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭jj880

In my opinion he should be made leave Australia.

I think I might have watched 1 match of the Australian open when Federer was at his peak. Im no big tennis fan but if Djokovic is allowed to stay and play I will definitely be watching. What that says about me Im not sure.

The media coverage around this balls up will ensure top viewing figures. This will be factored into the decision to let him stay. People might not like that but its true. Lobbyists testifying their faces off behind closed doors. Things have gotten ridiculous around covid, antivaxxers, special treatment and the media are having feeding frenzy. Turns out 100 turned up for lockdown drinks with Boris at Downing Street at the height of lockdown in May 2020. Chancers who think the rules dont apply to them everwhere you look.

Do you have a link to that?

Anything I read has said his agent filled it out

I don't follow woman's tennis...I never said I did. The point still stands.

Djokovic and his team clearly looking for a positive test to get him in. Others who aren't vaxxed did the decent thing and skipped it.

I won't be engaging with you any further, added to ignore, you and your stupid begging bowl signature surprised that is allowed on boards.ie but hey.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

Pure speculation. "Likely constantly testing" is an interesting turn of phrase

• Advertisement
Advertisement