Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Djokovic

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,323 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Thanks for that, CNN usually pretty reliable, the plot thickens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

It was excellent and extremely helpful timing then? You can't deny that surely?

But it has back fired massively, pictured at events the following days after positive tests, form filled in (by someone incorrectly), his looney family being front and centre....

He has seriously tarnished his reputation.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Barrita

I watched the YouTube videos of the court hearing and it was really interesting to listen to them go back and forth.

Lovely flow to the dialogue. They speak so well and debate so respectfully. The judge in particular conducted himself so well.

I might look into cases like this a bit more or go down a wiki rabbit hole to see how the etiquette is established and maintained.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭BurgerFace

There goes that cheap trick again. Trying to equate people who speak in defence of Djokovic with a mob who defend rapists and engage in blaming the victim.

haha.

you don't have the first clue about or give a sh1t about tennis as you have proven with a mistake that even a small child wouldn't make

being called out on that is fair play after all your bluster here

you're just on a witch-hunt with some of the most pathetic fake moralising I've seen

running off in a huff in abject embarrassment and "ignoring" is just proof of that!

(as an aside on your other comment I provide a lot of advice on the laptops forum and if someone gets value from that considered advice on buying the right 500 euro to 3000 euro laptop purchase instead of making an expensive mistake sometimes they like to show a small token of appreciation

https://www.boards.ie/categories/laptops?utm_source=sidebar_categories

Boards make a bit of money now and again on their automatic affiliate link injection on the laptop links)

meanwhile you really appear not to be any use to anyone, including yourself!

As someone else alluded to in the "relaxation of restrictions thread" that's the part that of this whole pandemic that should be under the most scrutiny.

Not the fact that golf gate, the Merrion, RTE party or Boris's shin dig took place.

It's the fact that the powers that be, who are getting the advice from the experts, are so un-afraid of this virus that they are happy to quaff Champagne arm in arm and gurn for selfies like Trudeau et al in Cornwall.

People on here are lambasting Djokovic and the unvaxxed for not taking something seriously that those in authority are not taking seriously either.

I have not taken up the option for a vaccination as of yet. I assure you I don't want anything bad to happen to myself, Id be first in line if I thought I was in danger.

I also love my mammy and my granny and I don't want anything to happen to them. The are vaxxed and fair play to them.

But don't piss on my neck and tell me it's raining.

I will probably eventually acquiesce and get the jab because life will be so difficult to live normally but I will be getting jabbed for all the wrong reasons.

Not because im in any danger, not because I think it will protect Nana, but because I want to go to Glastonbury or New York.

It is a farce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭jj880

Thats a fair point and interesting point of view.

If you are going to crack down on a virus to the point of overkill you cant have 1 rule for the plebs and another for those considered more important but that's the way it is. Shouldn't be but it is. With Djokovic it's rubbing people's noses in it. So blatant and public for everyone to see. If he stays a lot of people who were following all the rules for the good of their neighbours granny like you say wont give 2 shiny sh!ts anymore. Its a tough call.

Here's the thing, though, all of this faux outrage is all coming from the unvaxxed brigade. Nobody on the pro-vax side really gives a monkeys whether he's vaccinated or not. People take issue with someone who is using their fame and fortune to bypass the rules set down for everyone, they're not getting off on someone being refused permission to play tennis (at least almost everyone, you get nutjob outliers on either side of the debate). It's the anti-vax side who are lionising him as some sort of crusader against the tyranny of all things covid. Some vaccine martyr that they can worship.

When in reality, he's a scumbag trying to circumvent the rules and he and his family are making things up as they go along, using everything in their power to pull the wool over everyone's eyes, including using the race card. That's what the issue is, not his stance on vaccines.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭thefallingman

A scumbag who donated thousands during the Australian bushfires good god shifty you don't really believe that do you. If so we have very differing views on what a scumbag is.

I don't really think all of what you say is true

Quite a fair few here labelling Djokovic "anti-vaxx" and nothing else to their point

This despite the fact that Djokovic has very much held back on saying anything about vaccines or his own status in public since real vaccines came out in 2021 for public availability

He did say things in 2020 but realised his mistake

Plenty of people just ignore that completely on what he has done since

it's not as simple as they like to make out - he's actually a complex guy

He arranged a free vaccine drive at the Serbian Open in 2021 and has donated nearly $7 million to Covid efforts.

He actually just wants to have a choice

I don't agree with him on vaccines but he really believes it. He has some fruity beliefs on other health aspects but then again if he has won 20 slams maybe he thinks there is something to them.

Many thousands of other professional athletes want the same choice but weren't locked up with refugees like Djokovic just because he applied in good faith to a process (25 others applied to the same process)

And if people are realistic then at the moment we know that vaccines do pretty much nothing for spread with Omicron. Current vaccines only provide severity reduction now (which is vital for older and at-risk people) but Djokovic is not going to be burdening a health service anywhere

I'm actually pro-vaccine myself but also pro-Djokovic in the battle vs the politicians in Australia as if you actually inform yourself he and others actually only applied to the process that was there

In that specific regard the Judge Anthony Kelly said "What more could this man have done"?

The process itself certainly has issues but you have to look to the Australians there. Victoria State with Tennis Australia had a process in place that the Federal Government endorsed. The Federal Government flip-flopped on this due to what they saw was a chance to get political capital. But I'm glad that Djokovic made a stand here after following the process. He never would have gone near Australia otherwise and trying to humiliate him at the airport after he had travelled all the way out is bad.

Djokovic has questions to answer about the test and his movements - it doesn't look good there but then again he hasn't personally been tackled on that but surely will be at any tournament press conferences - I don't think that his family want to answer for him there (his dad is a nutter obviously - Djokovic can't help that)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,537 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

he claimed on his visa application that he isolated after testing positive. Or rather somebody else claimed it on his behalf. we know he didn't isolate. To my mind that makes his visa invalid.

Have you seen some of the outrage in this thread about untaxed people. questioning their intellect, their character, calling them ratlickers etc.

It is most unpleasant and intellectually dishonest of those that are doing it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,537 ✭✭✭HBC08

Sometimes Glastonbury or New York has to be under threat for eejits to get a vaccine,so be it,it worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

I think your point is very valid those over lords who told us in no uncertain terms didnt feel the same danger & fear themselves, why? and continued to do as the pleased that is the crux of the whole Covid pandemic. personally i do not know anyone who has had Covid or tested positive for it , I do however know my own parent is a zombie since she got her last ( booster ). She cant walk her dog or stand up long enough to cook her dinner she cant sleep and has brutal headaches every day she is breathless if she puts her tea towels on the clothesline./ This was a very vibrant and well able to go woman she cycled walked did her own shopping - now just wants to die as her life exhausting her and has no joy!

Oh I understand the tactic, but it is not how a society should work. I pay my taxes (higher rate since age 21) and im part of society.

A negative test should suffice on the day if safety is the true goal.

The option provided of "be vaxed or sling your hook" is not an option at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,519 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

Live and let live is an apt choice of phrase, the whole point of the vaccine is to keep people living, and at the very least it stops unvaccinated people becoming bed blockers in the hospitals. For some reason people who rant about conspiracies or how Covid won't do them any harm always end up rushing to the hospital to the doctors they don't trust. Would it be live and let live if someone decided they didn't like keeping to the speed limit or wearing a seatbelt?

I'm not in favour of forced vaccination, but that doesn't mean they should get to mix in freely with society again when they weren't willing to lift a finger for the common good. Yes, the majority are vaccinated, but that doesn't make people who pussy out of a jab some kind of rebel hero. Just get the vaccine if you can and do your bit, it's not asking for much.

But people can carry on with the conspiracy shite if they want to, what would doctors know anyway, right?

Ones own bodily autonomy should not be lost because of historical government mismanagement.

You say get vaxxed to not block beds. I say get more beds.

Last year I heard people saying "no one has the divine right to pint so if you want to have one then get vaxxed and you can come into the pub"

Au Contraire , If no one has a divine right to a pint, then a vaxxed person's desire to have a pint shouldn't trump the punter beside hims bodily autonomy. You have had your jab and mitigated against catching it. Pipe down and drink your pint or stay at home.

You get to bring two things with you into the grave, your body and your reputation.

No one should get to meddle or pressure you into putting anything into your body.

Pretending the unvaxxed have a fair "choice" is just totally dishonest. They have been shafted.

• Advertisement

that's awful Bertie i hope she recovers fully we all have mothers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭redlad12

Yeah they've messed it up and so have the Australian authorities! I probably actually would prefer him to play at this stage but certainly won't be up for him haha

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭bertiebomber

thanks so much, such a worry a vibrant elder woman floored. Your comment is the kindest one on this thread thanks again.

Ah of course the Australian authorities have been absolutely brutal as well.

My gut says he will probably play. If they try to turf him out he will challenge it and it will likely be drawn out til after the AO is over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭Former Former Former

It's very obviously a lie so don't worry about it

Really sorry to hear this I hope she makes a full recovery over time. It must be incredibly tough.

I find it really hard to believe you do not know people who have tested positive for covid, I know loads unfortunately. I suppose a lot of people don't exactly broadcast it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

I don't think you understand what the words "intellectually dishonest" even mean.

You're 100% correct. They are the wrong reasons to get vaccinated.

• Registered Users Posts: 559 ✭✭✭BurgerFace

There you go again making out that people who choose not to receive a vaccine are somehow selfish and are detrimental to the "common good". You just can't help yourself. It's like your mind is stuck in a loop and you can't turn it off. "You're taking up a hospital bed. You're taking up a hospital bed".

You then mention people not observing the speed limit. If they crash, should they be denied a hospital bed? What about smokers, drinkers, obese people, drug users, people who engage in activities where there is a heightened possibility of injury such as sports, mountain climbing, windsurfing? Are you going to guilt-trip them if they wind up in the ER and take a precious hospital bed?

Some people like to think that they are enlightened when in reality they haven't evolved much beyond the baboon. They think that unvaccinated people ought to be punished for their decision. They say this with a straight face. It's medieval thinking.

I'd be pro-vaccine but also take a "real-world" public utility view on this

At the moment vaccines are vital for older and at-risk people in terms of preventing severe illness.

But with currently available vaccines and Omicron, it's obvious with the huge number of cases across highly vaccinated and boosted populations that there very much negligible public utility in terms of current vaccines and spread

Maybe new vaccines will be coming out that will stop spread and then public utility on spread would be restored.

But they are not available now.

So I actually don't have a big issue with non at-risk people being unvaccinated right now - they are not harming society.

they are not spreading in any discernible way more than vaccinated.

they are not denying the rest of us public utility on spread or burdening the health system (very very unlikely to get badly ill, especially with Omicron being proven milder also)

Even if you're one side or the other, the real-world situation out there should be taken into consideration!

(Personally I would still be vaccinated due to the risk-reduction on long covid)

• Advertisement

I posted that I don't believe anyone should be forced to get the vaccine. For the same reason, you can't force someone to give blood, even if it costs someone else their life.

I'm totally with you on the beds, there needs to be more, but until that utopian ideal is realised medical staff are getting pissed off with unvaccinated people filling up beds. Empathy fatigue is also an issue.

The vaccinated person enjoying a pint isn't costing someone their bodily autonomy. They were free not to get a vaccine, but there are consequences to our choices.

Maybe people keep saying they're selfish because they're selfish. People who crash because of their own dangerous driving still get to go to the hospital, just like all the unvaccinated Covid patients, but they can still be called out for being selfish and stupid.

The real medieval thinking here is the anti-vax lunacy where people think they know better than modern medicine and turn to bullshit treatments with no scientific basis when they do end up infected. The newest "cure" is drinking your own piss.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,111 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I'm an Australian and I'd throw him in the sea and make him swim out past the 12 mile limit, preferably through shark infested waters.

The biggest faker here is you. You adore Jokovic and seem seriously and blindly partisasn. Trying to make ou that one player is unimportant because of her ranking while wanting your boy to get his way, no matter what he's done, because he's number one, says it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 DublinWexican

Completely agree. Thought I'd hate to think that the sharks could get COVID from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

To quote a well known Doctor who has been vocal about this whole thing

" this is the first time where a vaccine hasn't delivered but those who haven't taken it are being blamed "

You only had to steal a loaf of bread to get into Australia years ago, funny how times have changed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,270 ✭✭✭jj880

If he stays he'll probably win the Australian Open and break the record for most grand slams. A fantastic achievement and argueably makes him the best mens player ever.

But you just know he'll be Novax Djokovic from now on. Its a shame really.

How can you prove if you're Australian or not?

I will grant you that you seem boorish and uncouth and I might be inclined to believe you on that basis.

I see the Sydney Morning Herald are conducting a poll (article and poll in link) and 58% say that he should be allowed play

Many of the comments under the article also seem to indicate that more copped-on Australians seem to have realised that this a cock-up of the politician's making and what is really going on

Who the fook is Jokovic?

I'm supporting Djokovic in this mess because he merely applied to and followed a government and tennis-Australia process like 25 others did and wouldn't have gone near Australia otherwise. Having him go all the way out to Australia and then flip-flopping and deciding to try to fook him over at 4am in the morning at passport control was a pathetic move that has backfired spectacularly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

Requiring a vaccine for someone who already had covid twice and wasn't sick either time he had it is just insane.

I think Australians want to vindicate their own passivity in face of outrageous government overreach by seeing a rich, famous tennis player punished.

Why are they even holding a tennis tournament if they're in some kind of siege emergency?

If I was holding a tennis tournament I would arrange to deliberately make it easy for recognised seeded players to enter. Yes, I wouldn't pretend they were joe soaps and try to hold them to joe soap standards and let them be barred from the country on some technicality.

'Well if joe soap can't get in, why should the title holder of the Australian Open be allowed into Australia for the Australian Open ho ho ho'

But then I wouldn't be stopping joe soaps from seeing their parents either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,125 ✭✭✭timmyntc

Can you imagine the tears if he gets to play and wins

The aussies will have a meltdown!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,971 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Australians want him treated the very same way many of them were treated on returning to their own country.

They don't want to see him treated like he's above them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,339 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

What makes you think "doctors" are some kind of single entity of unanimous thinkers? We've already established that vaccines have poor efficacy after 6 or so months and also don't prevent transmission. Why does valid scepticism about this make you think that someone is against all vaccines and against a doctors opinion?

Not sure why I even bother engaging. You've started off with a simplistic, high-horse argument, and will undoubtedly not escalate to anything beyond this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

I think some Aussie tennis fans will have forgiven him by then, if he can show that much heart in front of a Melbourne crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭eddie73

The Aussie politicians won't b pleased but there wouldn't be a social meltdown

Djokovic is a looper. You only have to look at some of the other crap he comes out with to know that he's definitely 'out there' when it comes to certain stuff that shouldn't really be up for debate (the bread under the armpit thing is frighteningly absurd). But that's no skin off anybody's nose, really.

They've had one of the harshest lockdowns in the world over there, they kept getting pushed back further over a couple of cases here and there.....literally. I think they had more cases in the first week of 2022 than they'd had in all of 2020 combined. And much like here, there's loads who were unhappy about that and loads who just got on with it. So public sentiment was pretty much divided.

Then Novax comes along and makes a mockery of the whole thing by claiming this and that and pulling dubious test results out of his arse at the last minute. The whole thing stinks, and waiting for an interview after he has successfully managed to circumvent the rules is meaningless. And that IS skin off some peoples' nose. In fact, it's borderline insulting. People had to go for months without getting a coffee or a drink in public, then this guy comes along and says "Oh, I'm exempt......sure I tested positive at some stage........what?...I have to isolate for ten days after a positive test?......well luckily mine expires just in time to play in the tournament....lucky me, I guess".

If I was an Aussie, I'd be fuming. And most of them are.

I still have no idea what was said to allow him to stay because on everything that's been presented so so far to the public, he shouldn't be. Even the stuff with his family is all besides the point. All the talk of how great he is and how he's gonna beat Federer etc is just noise. All it boils down to is:

Was he exempt, yes or no?

Did he test positive? Yes or no, if yes, then when?

Why wasn't this positive test used instead of the exemption in the first place?

Was he off showing a blatant disregard for public safety by having a meet & greet with a load of teenagers while positive/potentially positive?

If he can't satisfy those questions, then bump him onto the next flight home. If he can, then let him play.

Why should I need to prove I'm Australian?

Whoops, spelling error. How many lashes would you suggest? I don't believe the rest of that guff any more than you believe I'm an Australian.

• Advertisement

He had an exemption granted to him by the Victorian State Government and Tennis Australia

Djokovic or the others granted the exemptions on this process wouldn't have gone near Australia otherwise

The Border Force let other people on it with the same reason in already.

The PM Morrison explicitly voice public opinion last Tuesday supporting the process to "come" to and "enter" Australia

When asked about the controversial call, Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison said: "Well, that is a matter for the Victorian government.

"They have provided him with an exemption to come to Australia, and so we then act in accordance with that decision."

ScoMo was then pressed on whether he thought it was the right decision to make given Australia's current climate.

"Well, that's how it works," Morrison said.

"States provide exemptions for people to enter on those basis, and that's been happening for the last two years. So there's no change to that arrangement.

"The Victorian government made their decision on that. And so I'd have to refer to the Victoria Government about their reasons for doing so."

But they Djokovic tweeted and a reaction kicked off and the politician's worried about the optics and the decision was made to target Djokovic at the airport

If you think that the tide isn't turning for many Australians in terms of their view and that they are all intent on projecting their ire at past governmental pandemic policy decisions onto Djokovic (who had nothing to do with that) you're not correct - read the informed comments underneath this article from today - genuine Australians who by now know the score

I still think that it's very much in the balance and that probably the politicians will go for "the ministerial discretion" option and boot him home but that will not work out too well either I think and will only by taken on the basis of "not looking like we backed down"

Djokovic's movements in Serbia will be addressed by him but what he did in Serbia a few weeks ago is not directly relevant to the process here, except in the heads of some.

He has the positive test and again, that hasn't proven to be fake except in the minds of wishful conspiracy thinkers.

Advertisement