Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Djokovic

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,322 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

What are you on about? I didn't say it was. There are multiple people here saying he isn't against vaccination....when he clearly is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Yes but as a baby he didn't refuse vaccines, so how can he be "anti-vax", checkmate!

So yeah some of the other exemption holders and visa holders (like Djokovic) got entry (some were even already playing tennis tournaments in Australia ffs!) but now they are being thrown out.

It's all very consistent! (retrospectively of course!)

It's complete retrospective arse-covering bullshit.

Even a small child can see that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭CGI_Livia_Soprano
    Holding tyrants to the fire

He filled in the form to satisfy Tennis Australia, but not the Australian Government.

Imagine if the GAA told Boterzacht Kunt, the unvaccinated South African hurling star, that he could come over and play in a challenge match against Kilkenny and the Irish government wouldn't let him in because he didn't fulfill the entry requirements in to the country. It's like that. Who cares what the GAA think, the real issue is why is this Kunt is flitting about from country to country without a vaccine in the first place?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,122 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Also tradesmen are counted in the population so when you see that 94% of the adult population are vaccinated that means those critically thinking tradesmen to a large extent agree with the PhD graduates.

Also I love this 1930s use of tradesmen as an archetype of the "uneducated common man". Such an absolute load of sht

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭irelandrover

That's fair, but if his visa was granted based on his medical exemption, and then his medical exemption wasn't accepted at the border then its a bit of a strange situation.

You can be granted a visa to enter the country but the visa and the documentation you used to get the visa isn't sufficient to enter.

There are a lot of ifs there. I am sure it will all come out.

The "failed to provide appropriate evidence" is a direct quote.

I have read some suggestions he might have thought he would be given access due to the fact he previously had covid...but that was a long time ago I think?

Simplest thing...get the vaccine...mad I know. Other players have been hit fairly bad by covid e.g. jo konta.

Other players who won't get vaccinated have just not gone including the Australian woman's number one. If Djokovic felt so strongly he should have done the same.

One player who I genuinely feel sorry for is Natalia Vikhlyantseva..she has been fully vaccinated with sputnik, but australia are refusing her entry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,942 ✭✭✭growleaves

'Also I love this 1930s use of tradesmen as an archetype of the "uneducated common man". Such an absolute load of sht'

Right but isn't an apprenticeship effectively an alternative to a college degree? So tradesmen are less educated on average given that college in the norm for so many people, probably moreso now than in the 1930s.

Except that's just not true. Tennis Australia, just like the GAA, cannot issue visas.

I totally disagree...we should let in someone with that name automatically...think of the hilarious commentary and headlines!

• Advertisement

If he was granted entry to the country based on X, Y and Z.......then it later turns out that

• he wasn't completely truthful about X or that
    • Y didn't apply to him or
    • he got his doctor to lie about Z

then there should be no qualms about the grant of entry to be revoked.

Do you agree or disagree with the above statement? Please note I'm not asking you whether these currently apply to Novax, I'm just asking if you agree with the statement, in principle. Yes or no?

He got Covid ages back during that full capacity no distancing tournament he held in the middle of the first wave back in 2020 which was abandoned half way through cause they all got Covid just like the experts said would happen.

Not sure if he got it again

The vast, vast majority of trades require some degree of classroom/theory modules. Some of them are quite extensive, though obviously not on the level of a doctorate.

Also, Calling them 'less educated" is a damn sight different to calling them uneducated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

There's still a lot unknown here.

It's entirely possible that a visa was granted subject to some evidence being presented at the border, that wasn't presented. It's also entirely possible that in a fast-changing COVID environment, the rules were applied inconsistently between the State of Victoria and the Federal Government.

I feel a bit sorry for him. He seems like a nice enough guy and he now finds himself somewhat unwittingly in the middle of a row much bigger than his own particular case, which can only hurt him.

Well exactly.

“Tennis Australia said that he could play and that’s fine, that’s their call, but we make the call at the border,” [Prime Minister Scott] Morrison said on Thursday.*

This isn't really an Australia issue, this is a spoiled brat anti-vaxxer issue. He thought he could waltz on into Australia without a vaccine during a pandemic and it blew up in his face. What a twat. :D And as for anyone defending Djokovic? They are what the Serbs call a "корисни идиот."

*Srce: https://7news.com.au/sport/tennis/prime-minister-scott-morrison-lays-blame-on-tennis-australia-and-novak-djokovic-in-deportation-saga-c-5203173

Indeed. Multiple instances of you claiming he's not antivax when he clearly stated he is, multiple times. Making stuff up hardly covers it. Good luck yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭thefallingman

I'd say he's gone off to have an argument with his shadow.

Sorry none of that really makes any sense in the light of the additional context of the bullshit that has since gone down in booting out the other players who got the same exemption and visa and were already let into the country.

what's x, y and z?

you trying to force me to agree with some statement with unknown parameters in some sort of " you must answer this gun-to-the-head question with unknown factors right now" is not something I consider relevant.

I will say that information provided by anyone should be truthful and kosher of course

The Australian State of Victoria government had already assessed Djokovic's application for exemption and approved it

The Federal Government, the prime minister himself, Scott Morrison, vowed to honour the State's decision a few days ago!

On Tuesday, he said federal authorities, who control the borders, would "act in accordance" with the state's decision as "that's how it works".

Djokovic had been granted a visa for Australia by the federal government

This visa had been re-checked again before taking off for his final leg to Australia

If it was just some issue with Djokovic there would be no need to fcuk out the other players who had the same exemption and visa as him who were already into Australia. Would there!?

Players that were already in the country, playing in tennis tournaments already.

If you can't see that the whole thing stinks to high-hell as this point of political arse-covering at the highest level well I can't do anything for you there....

• Advertisement

If he was granted a visa based on information which was subsequently proven to be false, would you have any issues with his (or anyone else's) visa being revoked, is the question I'm asking.

I'm not saying that's what happened with Djokovic, I'm asking you if you would have an issue with it, if it turns out to be the case?

That would be very clear if he hadn't said this 2 days previously.

Initially, Mr Morrison had said he accepted the Victorian government's decision to grant Djokovic and other tennis players medical exemptions. On Tuesday, he said federal authorities, who control the borders, would "act in accordance" with the state's decision as "that's how it works".

Its almost like he's a politician under pressure and changed his statements based on public opinion.

I'm not interested in being narrowed down to some finite point when what is actually relevant is the context of the overall picture - it's non-sensical and is not how the real-world works.

I already said that any information provided should be truthful in my last post which in fact already answers the repeat question here.

It’s almost like politicians don’t police the borders themselves. When you buy a carton of milk do you think it’s the minister of agriculture working the tills?

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭moonage

Last summer during the Euros football championship in England, 2500 people (EUEFA and FIFA VIPs, executives working for tournament sponsors and broadcasters) were given exemptions from quarantine rules.

The Australians are just being pig-headed by not letting the top player in. "Rules is rules" and all that, but everyone can see that the rule makes no sense—a vaccinated Djokovic will be no safer to the public health than a vaccine free Djokovic.

Djokovic should be proud of himself. It'll be the Australian Open's loss if he doesn't play.

I think it’s more of a significant benefit to the Australian population if they don’t let in unvaccinated people. So it’s win-win. Djokovic can be proud of himself for wasting everyone’s time and the Aussie kept another anti vaxxer loon out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

They were happy to hold the tournament last year when no player had a vaccine. As if one Covid Negative player with antibodies from having covid is a risk to anyone. Total jobsworth nation

So if they did something stupid last year they should do it this year?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,371 ✭✭✭Phoebas

Thousands, perhaps hundreds of thousands, of Australian citizens have been stuck outside the country during the lockdown in Australia, some separated from their children or missing their parent's funerals.

The idea of Australia having special rules for 'top players' is not going to work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,463 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Wasn't stupid, they just tested everyone, no one was a danger to anyone. Novak is no danger to anyone this time round.

Oh okay so everybody should be tested constantly. Do you have any idea how much money that would cost? Or how much time it would waste? Vaccines passes are better in every single way, assuming you’re not some thick **** who refuses to get vaccinated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,039 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I’d argue that anyone with such flagrant anti-vax sentiments being given “special treatment”, and a further platform to influence others, in a country trying to maintain order during a pandemic, is a danger to everyone.

Especially to those more gullible, and vulnerable.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

I don't care what you're interested in being narrowed down to.....I'm not trying to narrow you down to anything.

I'm trying to show you that the claim "BUT HE WAS GRANTED A VISA BY THE GUBBERMINT, THEREFORE HE SHOULD BE ALLOWED PLAY" is a complete load of bollocks.

If entry visas can be granted, refused and withdrawn at the whim of those who grant or refuse them, which is the real context of the overall picture here, then being granted one means sweet fcuk all in the grand scheme of things.

Yes, he was granted entry. That entry was revoked because of [reasons]. Nobody really knows what those reasons truthfully are, but it doesn't matter what they are, in the grand scheme of things.

He was granted entry. That was then subsequently revoked. He no longer qualifies for entry. For you, and others, to then say "but but but but but he was granted a visa!!!!!" like it is some sort of permanent condition which cannot be altered.....it just doesn't hold water.

One last question, to hammer home the point:

If he said that he was medically exempt from getting the vaccines, provided a doctor's cert to prove he was medically exempt, was given a visa based on that cert, and the the cert then turned out to be false/faked/untrue, should he be allowed to enter the country?

Trying to maintain order lol

As has been said many times, they are separating families and barring people from their parent's funerals.

Yet zero covid is a failure and covid isn't severe to most people anyway.

Who is really being gullible?

They should stand down their ribbon parade of red tape for everyone's sake.

Strange that posters keep cursing out Djockovic like he was their personal enemy or something.

For the third time of asking, as I said (in my last 2 posts and now again) -> any information provided should be truthful.

Do you have a reading comprehension issue with short sentences?

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭mary 2021

that is the first resonable comment against the vacine hestitant i have viewed on this site, I accept it as it is not full of hatred & vitriol calling them un educated and ignorant. I still think the tennis player has a right to do with his body what he pleases since he earns his living with it.

I just think it's great to see all these far right posters finally come together to rant in support of an "eastern European" who got stopped trying to enter another country to work 🤣

Like I said, the issue is being partisanised.

Do you think you have to support everything Australia is doing because it fits into your idea of "leftism".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

I kindof agree with you but he got an exemption and went on social media with it... its his own fault...

The courts will sort it on Mon but it may effect his performance.... Nadal is a decent chap and he said... he knew the rules...

"Any/all information provided should be truthful" is only half an answer.

I'm asking you "What happens when that information subsequently turns out not to be truthful?" Is it acceptable to tell him to fcuk off if he lied to the authorities?

• Advertisement

But it's not just the "top player" there are plenty of others who have been refused entry (or are in a hotel pending e.g Veracova and according to reports several others) or didn't even try to gain entry as they weren't vaccinated (including the Australian woman's number one).

It's his and his team's fault he didn't get in, he didn't meet the entry requirements, they obviously didn't cross the Ts and dot the Is. This has been coming for months.

The comments from his family are not doing him any favours either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,205 ✭✭✭✭Dohnjoe

Thanks, but do you think he has a right to put other people at increased risk? and what about their bodily rights?

This isn't a toothache we are talking about here, or something personal, this is an infectious disease. By choosing not to vaccinate, we are choosing to incubate the viral load longer than vaccinated people, meaning we will remain infectious longer (even before we have symptoms), meaning we are increasing the risk of passing it on to our family, friends, colleagues and others.

Forget that fact that the vaccine reduces your chances of catching Covid, and significantly lowers your chances of ending up in hospital, ICU or worse - it reduces the risk of you spreading it to your loved ones. If you are allergic to the vaccine or have a proper medical exemption, that's fine, but if not, then it's a complete no-brainer.

And another country (which for an incredibly long amount of time had low case numbers) has a right to set it's own entry requirements, even more so during a pandemic imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭AyeGer

Novak doesn’t appear to be as popular as either Nadal or Federer.

There is no proof of any kind at this point that he lied except one soundbite insinuation from that absolute blustering gobshite Barnaby Joyce of the Depp dog saga. You know the guy who forgot to tell his wife that he got the secretary up the duff!

It's just speculation without any foundation right now.

What is not speculation is the the Australians are seeking to apply some sort of notion of "retrospective consistency" by turfing out players already let into Australia on the same exemption and visa as Djokovic.

They would only need to do that in the case of a systemic cock-up!

The arse-covering going on here is pathetic.

That is a full answer - lying is bad obviously and you should not get away with lying.

Now you MUST answer this question - Are you a bad boy if you cheat in your junior cert?

That's true.

Djokovic is more divisive for sure.

But Djokovic is actually more like a real person in terms of authenticity

He's not going out to be some drone-type who is always trying to say the right thing but ends up saying nothing in the end.

Nadal and Federer were great players as well but can you literally remember one thing that they have ever said from more than a week ago?

Yep, I know all that. I even said so in a previous comment. Also, for the 4th time in a row, you STILL haven't actually answered the question. Have YOU got issues with reading comprehension?

I asked if it's OK to kick someone out / revoke their visa if it turns out that the info used to get that visa was falsified.

Your reply is "there's no evidence he falsified anything" which, again, isn't the question that was asked. For the record, I couldn't give a monkeys whether you want to answer it or not, I do take issue, however, with you saying that you HAVE answered it when you clearly haven't.

Not all bad boys cheat on the Jr cert, but all who do cheat on it are bad boys by definition.

if he lied yes, it's ok to kick someone out.

Any proof that he lied or do you just like posing hypothetical questions? (no need to answer that one, there is no proof as of now).

Do you not think that the fact that the Australians are booting out the other players who got exemptions and visas the same way as Djokovic is an arse-covering exercise? (including ones already in Australia playing tennis tournaments ffs!)

There is no reason to do it otherwise.

They look like complete muppets at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Yes because only two view's exist, no in between

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Advertisement