Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice on outdoor security cameras and doorbell

Options
  • 06-01-2022 7:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

My head is currently spinning from looking through the vast array of options in this field. 

I would appreciate any advice…

I’m thinking along the lines of a wired rather than battery power device. (Although it is impressive that some of these devices now can hold a one year battery). 

Also looking for continuous video recording and continuous monitoring (rather than just motion activated), so I can have the 24/7 feed from the doorbell/cameras directly displayed on a spare iPad in the house. 

Thinking perhaps of a wired doorbell and one or two cameras, perhaps one with a Motion activated spotlight. 

Also preference would be to record onto a hard drive rather than paying for a subscription, however quite happy to pay a subscription if it’s definitely worthwhile. Thanks for any suggestions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Bebop

I got a HIKvision NVR7604 with a 2TB HDD and 2 POE cameras for about 400 Euro, it is very easy to install, running the wires is the hardest bit

The (Colour)cameras have good night vision,

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Bebop

duplicate post

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭kala85

Are the hikvision cameras OK being from China or can they be hacked into.

What other alternatives are there outside of hikvision?

Where can I buy cameras? Are ip cameras easier to install?

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭Anjunadeep

I'm also in the market for an outdoor camera and the ability to view it live.

I was thinking of getting the Ring Stick up Battery camera and getting an Echo Show to function as a live monitor.

Anyone have any experience with this camera? (https://www.amazon.co.uk/ring-stick-up-cam-battery-by-amazon-hd-security-camera-with-two-way-talk-works-with-alexa%C2%A0/dp/B099M24J56/ref=lp_15349947031_1_7)

The main drawback from what I can tell is that you must subscribe to Ring Protect plan to be able to record and watch back recordings?

Must be fairly easy as well for someone to simply pull the camera off the wall?

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭landlord

So I think I have decided to go for a NVR rather than DVR system as they seem to have higher resolution cameras and less complex installation.

I have looked at loads of reviews and think I will go for this (5mp option)…

[URL unfurl="true"]https://reolink.com/ie/product/rlk8-410b4/[/URL]

Any thoughts ?

I can upgrade to person and car identification for an extra €40, but the reviews for this particular bit of software are awful.

I can also upgrade from 5mp cameras to 8 mp cameras for another €60……might consider this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭landlord

I settled on this in the end and went for the extra person and vehicle detection. Hopefully the issues regarding this specific feature are just software related and can be sorted. 

https://m.reolink.com/ie/product/rlk8-820d4-a/

Just over €600. I hope it’s worthwhile 😂😂

Advertisement