Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancel sky tv

Options
  • 06-01-2022 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

Hi there I'm looking to cancel sky tv mid contract,sky q to be exact.i don't have broadband from them.does anyone know what the cancellation fee would be?thank you

Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 46,014 ✭✭✭✭muffler

You really should be asking Sky but I'd be pretty sure that it will be the full amount due on the remainder of the contract.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,299 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They may allow you to buy out the remainder of your contract on whatever is the minumum possible pricing plan available.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭denismac

Good luck with that!

I spent 2 hours getting the runaround from them f...ers today when I tried to get through to the cancellation dept. I only rang up to modify my package but the customer service is so woefully bad that I decided to cancel.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Cancelled the lot today. Was told about an 1 hr waiting time so they offered to talk through WhatsApp. Took over an hour of back and forth. Was looking to get rid of packages was told the €30 was for new customers only and as I was out of contract I couldn’t get it. So after the usual we’ll offer this and you’ll lose this and never get a better deal If you don’t talk to us. The offers were derisory after 14+ yrs with them. I’m out and I’m delighted free to air from now on.

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭Paul2019

Congratulations. I did that a few years ago and went for Saorview-Freesat with a Tiviar Alpha box.

I never looked back and now have a backlog of unwatched recordings that I'll probably never manage to get through.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

LOL, I've 12GB freee on a 2TB drive.

One big gotcha with SKY and other subscription services is that you loose recordings if you cancel a contract. With FTA they are yours forever and bigger drives are on the horizon. By my rough calculations, you'd be able to store 462.9 days worth of DVD quality video on a 30TB drive

@lauraww NowTV is way to get a lot of SKY content for a lot less if you have decent broadband. (Virgin player is clearer than the arerial.)

Buy a stick when they are on sale and collect coupons. Cancel after the offers expire and then sign up again at Christmas or when your favourite boxset comes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,546 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

Several years ago I heard "if you don't watch a recording within 3 days, you probably wont". So far it has proven to be true for me 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭career move

I have been trying to cancel the family sky tv account. I'm not the named account holder. We have been with sky for 14 years and I can safely say I never want anything to do with the company again. On 3rd Feb I notified Sky Ireland by email mysky@sky.ie that I would be cancelling the account. I received an email of acknowledgement.

At 4:27 pm on 11th February I received a call from sky ireland which lasted 4 seconds. Due to the length of the call I was unable to answer it and when I rang back the number I was told by an automated message that the number was no longer in service. 

At 4:32 pm on 11th February I received an email from Sky Ireland informing me that I need to ring 0818 719 819 to complete my cancellation. I attempted to ring this number and I was put on hold indefinitely.

On 11th February I sent an email complaining to Sky Ireland complaining about the service and informing them again that as of 3/2/22 I was canceling the account. 

On 15th February I sent a registered letter to Sky Ireland, 1 Burlington Road, Dublin D04RH96, informing Sky Ireland in writing that on 3/2/22 the account was being cancelled. 

On 22/2/22 I received an email from Sky Ireland informing me that the account holder needed to ring 0818 719 819 in order to complete the request. The named account holder rang this number and was informed that the password which I use to log in to mySky account was not associated with any account, even though it works online. The named account holder then spent a further 30 minutes waiting for call to be answered.

I've now emailed mysky@sky.ie again to notify them in writing that on Monday 7/3/22 (that is 32 days after Sky Ireland was first contacted by me) I will be cancelling the direct debit for this account. I am so cross about this. It's unbelievable that a company can get away with this kind of coercive manipulative behavior and not be held accountable.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Anything4883

Just on the bit about the password. AFAIK, I think the password when you call in MAY be different to the one you use for logging into account.(possibly a 4 digit code).. I usually say I dont know what my password is and they will ask for another bit of info to clear Data protection policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Fotish

Dreadful behaviour from Sky.

They are forcing customers into using the phone to cancel their subscription , this should not be necessary ,a simple email should suffice.

if they answered the phone in a timely fashion in might be different but they refuse to do this.

Awful behaviour, awful company .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 barroda

emailed mysky@sky.ie and they didnt cancel on that date. they emailed back to call their Loyalty team on 0818 719 819.

Yea took 25 mins holding but that seems to be only way to cancel

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭Morris Code

As earlier poster said Now Tv stick is the way to go.Had Sub for a year at 3 Euro per month.Watched most of what I wanted to see and when I cancelled they offered another 6 months at same price...I took it!!

Advertisement