Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bird identification

Options
  • 06-01-2022 5:22pm

Apologies in advance because I know the pictures are terrible quality. I'm new to this so bear with me, I have some birdfeeders and started keeping track of who's coming and going and this year I've been really happy to see goldfinches and chaffinches for the first time. There's this one little fella I thought initially was a goldfinch baby because he didn't have marking on his head, he was amongst a flock of goldfinches so I thought they were family. He's (she?) still coming around, every day now on his own to feed and so I'm wondering if he was a regular finch, like a greenfinch but he's not very green. When I google I get oriental greenfinch or greycap greenfinch but maybe he's just a female greenfinch and is more brown and fawn than a male? help?

(again, really sorry the pictures are poor but he's difficult to catch on camera too :))

this is one of the goldfinches that he came with

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭muckisluck

I think it looks like a hen chaffinch

Think you could be right, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,492 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Last picture looks like a Goldfinch

yeah, sorry the last one is a goldfinch. The reason for the confusion is because I first noticed her among them that day I took that picture so I thought they were of the same family. Glad to know she's a chaffinch now, thanks so much.

Just to update, I picked up a pocket guide book with illustrations* and I think she is actually a greenfinch. The female chaffinch is more grey and brown with white wing bars and hers are definitely yellow. That's kind of why I thought she was a juvenile goldfinch at first. She's more fawn than grey on the underparts with greyish brown head. She's there a lot so I'll try get a better picture sometime.

*The pocket guide to the common birds of Ireland, Eric Dempsey & Michael O'Clery

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

The bird in your first and third photos (2nd is unclear) is definitely a female Chaffinch.

I was looking at her today for ages and I'm like yeah, she's a greenfinch. 😂 I will have to get a better camera, my phone won't do it justice. Thanks though, I have seen a male chaffinch there so you're probably right.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

good to know there's at least one greenfinch around, they're a dying breed these days

• Registered Users Posts: 10,814 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

Not saying you don't have a greenfinch but the photos are female chaffinch and goldfinch

Yep, they're definitely chaffinch and goldfinches. I will take more photos once I have a better camera.

(I watched this the other day which has much clearer identification marks https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8RV6XXqghM)

I'm just glad she's made herself a regular here, I love seeing her each day.

• Advertisement

what be this?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,814 ✭✭✭✭Jim_Hodge

i was hoping it was a greenfinch haven't seen one in my garden in years

Advertisement