Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is there no one selling Cornish Pasties here anymore

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,877 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Just to clarify I’m not saying they are unhealthy, but my aunt seemed to think they were extremely unhealthy and I’m just curious why people think it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,600 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

A supermarket pork pie is sh1t, a proper bakery pork pie is a lot, lot better.

A proper meat pie (beef, not Steak and Kidney) is a rarity here, not counting those disappointing frozen Lidl ones that deflate as soon as you stick a fork in them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,417 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

The type I'm talking about and assumed the earlier post were talking about is those Mowbray pies which are solid and eaten cold by hand.

Proper dinner steak pie from a butcher is an amazing piece of food

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,188 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Used to get them in Devon. They were the best in the county.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭accensi0n

You need calories to live though, sounds like a pastie is an efficient source of life. 😊

You can’t eat a Melton Mowbray pie hot!!! Pork pies are delish especially with some pickle. Even better is pork and egg which comes in a rectangle slab - hard boiled eggs surrounded by pork surrounded by crusty pastry. Yum yum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,835 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

Got them in railway stations in the UK a few times. For whatever reason, I seem always to have travelled by rail over there in cold weather. THAT's when you need a proper pastie, sitting on a freezing railway station concourse like Bristol Temple Meads. We've made them here at home once or twice. I'm ashamed to admit, we (as in, I) used cooked mince in them. OK, I'll make some next time with diced beef.

I believe the origins of them is they were taken down the Cornish tin mines by the miners, for their lunch, and in an early innovation of 'less wrapping' you could actually eat the wrapper your lunch came in.

Never took to them I like my pie hot and while we are on the subject of English food my battered fish skinless

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Yeah your point about gravy pies 🤣

I've always been left disappointed opening those pies and it's just gravy inside lol

The Dunnes premium ones though are packed with fillings if you like filled pies. They're expensive but they're really full inside. Not gravy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

Agreed! Melton Mowbray pies are lovely but you'll put the weight on if you eat too many.

Never heard of anybody eating them hot. You'd ruin them that way. Imagine the impact on the jelly.

In response to OP, I used to buy Cornish Pasties (fresh) in M&S. They're harder to get since Brexit. As are their Scotch Eggs but I have got the latter last year.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,601 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Cornish Pasty from Nolan's in Clontarf. They sell them hot but I bought this from the cold counter and heated it up at home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,371 ✭✭✭✭Goldengirl

Nolans are great, that looks yum! Enjoy, Humberklog!

Just happened on this thread today and we were just talking about pasties yesterday as one of my lads was getting a lesson from an older one about the joys of a Cornish Pasty!

Led on to the discussion of where, and it appears Centra serve them, hot. Not sure if that is every Centra or just locally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

My local Centra does a few cornish pasties daily on the hot counter, but they go fairly quickly especially when the workmen are around. I've seen them in some other Centra's too. In general, there does seem to be a lack of pasties/pies in Ireland. I don't know why, because they are filling and delicious. God this has got me thinking about my favourite pie place in Newcastle Upon Tyne, a pub called Red House. Unreal pies, with gorgeous mash, pease pudding and gravy. I'm actually salivating as I type this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,829 ✭✭✭irishproduce

Looks class

We never had a coal mining industry and Cornish pasties were invented for coal miners-the thick crust was how they would hold the food. so I guess that’s why they never took off here. Pies in general were never a big thing in Ireland like they are in the UK- would be interesting to learn why, especially pork pies. Again these may have originated for working men in the industrial revolution as convenient food- Ireland never experienced the industrial revolution on the same scale as UK.

But yeah, someone mentioned the “right amount of pepper”- and it has to be white pepper- that makes a great pastie.

The centra hot counters usually have a couple most days but they don’t really compare to the genuine ones you get in Cornwall

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

Jaysus you've got me famished and googling the homemade recipe at 8am

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

And here's the Scotch Egg from Baxter and Greene.

Ahhhhhh, looks lovely......

Here's one from Hanley's in Merchant's Arch. It a solid pie. Very traditional but not as nice as Nolan's in my view.

Advertisement