Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is Vodafone Suresignal still working?

Options
  • 06-01-2022 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭

Anyone here still using Suresignal?

I have two units that seem to have fallen offline just before Christmas and trying to get support is stress inducing!

I know they haven't sold them for quite some time but you could still get numbers added and removed as recent as 6 months ago. There was mention that they were ending the service in the UK last year so could this be it?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

Count yourself lucky. There were some cases in UK of Vodafone Suresignal boxes going on fire. They probably should have done a recall on all devices. This is dated technology. WiFi Calling is a better way of providing in-home coverage, because you don't need an extra box, and you can have multiple access points to cover every corner of your home seamlessly. You also don't need to manually add numbers of your visitors, and anyone who has access to your WiFi can use WiFi Calling. Unfortunately, Vodafone don't support text messaging or roaming on their WiFi calling service. You would need to port to Eir or GoMo to have a fully featured WiFi calling service, but even Vodafone WiFi calling is a safer option vs continuing to use Suresignal.

• Registered Users Posts: 290 ✭✭dollylama

No doubt, it was a rickety service at the best of times but it kept a lot of people in black spots relatively happy for a long number of years now!

I'm waiting to hear back from support but I'm beginning to suspect the service has been switched off. I dug out another old unit I had in storage and it's showing authentication failure also.

As it happens, I only got wifi calling activated today so I'm delighted with that. The UK had variants of this technology on the go over 10 years ago. When you say you can't roam.. do you mean that when on a call, you can't roam off WiFi and back onto the network or do you mean you can't use the service on WiFi when out of the state? If the latter, that's bizarre!

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭babelfish1990

The latter - you can't use Vodafone WiFi calling outside of the State. Since Vodafone own networks in many countries, they have a lot of lucrative roaming revenue to lose if they allow the use of WiFi calling when roaming. All their networks appear to have a policy of banning WiFi calling while roaming. Eir appear to be happy to allow WiFi Calling while roaming, as they probably gain more by attracting globe-trotting Vodafone customers. It will probably become even more of an issue for Vodafone Group, now that UK operators have now re-introduced roaming charges to EU countries, post-Brexit. Although Ireland has escaped, and will continue to be allowed free roaming, it is likely that Vodafone HQ in London will continue the group-wide policy of banning WiFi Calling while roaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭KildareP

It was discontinued at the end of last year:

Get support for Vodafone Sure Signal | Vodafone

Advertisement