Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Basic set up for a complete newbie

• 06-01-2022 7:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 649 ✭✭✭

Firstly I am complete newbie. I have only just got my first smart speaker!

I live in a house with electric non-centralised heating. I would like to get a plugged heater to turn on when the temperature in the room dips below a certain value (and turn off when it goes above it), as well as being able to monitor it remotely, although the latter is not essential. Eventually I may want to add more things to the set up, e.g. lights. How do I do this simply and cheaply?

Is it as simple as getting e.g. a Xiaomi Mi Bluetooth Thermometer and Hygrometer 2, a Xiaomi Mi Smart Plug and connect them to the Xiaomi app? Do I need a hub like the Xiaomi Mi Smart Home Hub?

Please don't laugh! 😁

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭xckjoo

Not familiar with the Xiaomi systems but one issue I see straight away is that the thermometer is bluetooth so you'll only be able to communicate with it within bluetooth range. A quick google suggests the Hub has bluetooth so that might fix that. I think the smart plug is wifi so is probably accessible from anywhere through the app. If it's zigbee then you'll need the hub for it too.

I'd say you'll be able to do what you want with the Thermometer, plug and hub. It'll depend a bit on what the app lets you do. I do have a couple of Xiaomi devices but I run a bigger Home Assistant automation system that handles that side of thing. A quick look at the app makes it look like you'll be able to set it to turn on the plug when temperature below X, but I haven't tried it. Maybe have a look for some instructional videos on how to set those things up before buying to be sure.

Also check if you need to hard wire the hub to your router (instead of being able to connect them wirelessly). If you do then be sure your router is close enough to the room you'll be putting the rest of the stuff in for the bluetooth<->hub connection.

Advertisement