Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir 1GB Fiber - evening speeds massively reduced

Options
  • 07-01-2022 10:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭

I have Eir 1GB fiber getting great speeds normally - beside the routed 900mb+ a few meters away 200mb give or take.

In the evening that 200mb could drop to 20-30mb - I have a track history of speeds tests using the Ookla SpeedTest app.

Has anybody else experienced this significant drop?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭KildareP

Sounds like it's an issue with your WiFi environment - lots of devices online, large downloads, interference from neighbouring WiFi networks, etc. will all slow WiFi down significantly. The only way you can be sure it's an issue with Eir is by plugging directly into their router using Ethernet and doing speed tests that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

I usually test around 11 in the evening when the majority of devices are off. Even when I stand beside the main Eir router at this time the speeds are way down.

I am using the Google Mesh system which is generally good but again its the consistency of the reduced speeds that's the issue. It feels like the speed is being throttled by Eir but that doesn't exactly make sense.

My house is also too far away from the neighbors to consider any interference from them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭KildareP

You will need to do a speedtest while wired into the Eir modem to be sure so.

If you get the same slowdown while wired then you can log it as an issue with Eir but they won't entertain it when going over WiFi (nor can/will any other ISP).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭magic_murph

True - I guess doing a speed test on my main Google router will also worth as that is directly connected to the Eir router. Either way I will do that and get onto Eir next week.

My general config needs some work - getting 900mb on the google router, over Wifi, standing beside it then about 5 meters away 'only' getting 200mb so I need to play around with positioning but that's outside of the big drop to 20mb recently identified.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

900 mbps over WIFI with AC router? Too good to be true.

what WiFi client are you using for testing? It has to be 3x3 MIMO or better to reach those speeds on WIFI 5 router.

200 vs 20 could be WIFI band steering issue too. 5Ghz vs 2.4 GHz .

Do the wired test fist with reliable test server.

ps. It is possible that Eir backhaul getting busy during the evening hours too. Especially with NBI rollout . NBI users using EIR backhaul too which reduces speeds for EIR FTTH customers.

• Advertisement
Advertisement