Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DNA Kits

Options
  • 07-01-2022 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11

I've just has my results from ancestry.com. I'm very disappointed as the reason I did it was for the health traits but all you get is generic occurrences of yours in the population. I was under the Impression that you got your specific dna info such as genetic mutations and hereditary conditions you may or may not have. Does anyone know if this is available in Ireland. I'm on sites where Americans talk about this all the time

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,653 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

The health component of DNA tests is mostly nonsense. I think Ancestry withdrew their health test so the only one available is 23andMe.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 6,095 ✭✭✭Trigger Happy

Yes, ancestry only do the population/location analysis.

23 and me do that and the hereditary conditions one.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭VirginiaB

I wouldn't trust any such text thru a genealogy company. If someone feels it's necessary, try to get one thru a major hospital.

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭Bicyclette

You can upload it to Promthese to get the Health analysis. But it is very vague and not something I'd have a lot of faith in (I uploaded mine when at a time when it was free to do so). Unless you are qualified to analyse the data accurately, you could be causing yourself a lot of unnecessary worry. Analysing the death certificates of your family for the last 100 or so years and combining them with what you know about your immediate family would possibly be as accurate.

Advertisement