Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Small Walled Garden Ideas

Options
  • 07-01-2022 1:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭

Hi folks,

Currently at the design stage of a new house build on a 2 acre parcel of ground.

Keen gardener and I would like to have a walled garden with tall walls on a plot of around 1/8th acre or 500m2. There will also be a glass house in one corner like you see in the walled gardens of large period houses.

Obviously this will cost an arm and a leg but it's something I've always wanted and it will produce fruits and veg for me and my future family for the next 40 years hopefully. It wouldn't be built straight away but over the course of 5 years when funds allow. I will be the main labour source so that should keep costs to a minimum.

Has anyone on here done anything like this? I obviously have large (1acre or 4,050m2) gardens to take inspiration from as there are plenty of examples in Ireland England. But are there any examples of small (1/8th acre or 500m2) walled gardens that have been completed in modern times?

I'm finding it difficult to visualise a smaller walled garden.

How tall should the walls be? I'm thinking 10ft (for no good reason) but there is an old disused walled garden at a big house near me in Co. Louth and the walls are approx 16ft tall.

Maybe the wall should only be 16ft high for the corner of the glasshouse.

Any help of dimensions/size/layout/materials to use/materials to avoid would be much appreciated.

The site is flat so no issues with regards retaining walls etc.

Even links to websites or photos of walled gardens near you.

Will post a SketchUp drawing of what I have so far...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I have no actual experience of walled gardens but I know there can be issues with the effects of wind hitting the outside of walls and creating strong eddies inside the wall. You would probably need to put some planting outside the wall to break up the force of the wind hitting the walls. That's about the extent of my knowledge from random reading but it might be worth doing some research on it. I am guessing but I imagine there is a relationship between the height of the wall and the interior size of the garden.

Again I am guessing but it might be worth investigating whether some sort of 'ventilated' wall or fencing might be better.

Sounds like a lovely idea, keep us informed about progress!

Advertisement