Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is This Even Legal? Covid Regulation Breaches

• 07-01-2022 2:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭

Just something that caught my eye while browsing some articles this morning was that a judge was refusing defendants right to free legal aid in cases of Covid regulation breaches and it just didn't smell right to me.

Yes, I know many people will have views on free legal aid in general but I'm more interested in figuring out what/if there is a legal exemption in these cases or whether its yet another power grab by state officials? What differentiates an unpaid speeding ticket from an unpaid Covid breach legally? And what/ if any authority does a Judge have in refusing a fundamental right like this in these kind of cases? Other than her own opinion that its cost the state too much money.

Comments

We now exist in the dual state..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I never knew you could get free legal aid for small fine offences was shocked when I seen it mentioned. I always thought it was only for assualt, theft and kidnapping etc that it could be applied for. Legal system is a joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,141 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Sounds like a question for the Legal forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,657 ✭✭✭CalamariFritti

I've no real legal knowledge but I dont think you get free legal aid for challenging a speeding fine either. Covid breaches arent really crimes but something like a misdemeanour I think.

In articles about court cases I've read phrases like 'judge soandso granted free legal aid'. Implying it may not be granted automatically.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

It is usually granted automatically on grounds of what other benefits one may be getting, ie: someone on the dole wouldn't be able to afford a solicitor so they would have grounds to apply, and it's usually granted. But I do believe it's up to the Judge at the end of the day iirc, and refusal requires a separate appeal if you still want it, which could delay the main case.

Tbh, more judges should be doing it. The gravy train is starting to slow down hopefully, but I doubt it. Most likely it's just slowing down to let people think they have a chance of jumping on it before taking off again, laughing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement