Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Domestic First Floor Upgrade Works

Options
  • 07-01-2022 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi Folks,

Have a two story semi detached 2003 build house I bought and it has open plan kitchen dinning room which is approx. half the ground floor area. it has 1 radiator in it at the dining room end. house is OFCH and open fire place with no boiler. I have no zone control on heating.

I am proposing to lift the floors and place insulation between the joist on the fist floor to try keep heat downstairs as it gets cold. My thinking is insulation will keep the heat downstairs.. the bedrooms upstairs are warmer than the downstairs areas. Existing floor coverings upstairs need to be replaced anyway.

The first floor is suspended timber floor.

While the floor was lifted I was thinking of possibly putting in manifold & underfloor heating as at some point in the future a heat pump will be required and it would remove need to rip up floors again

My other cheaper thought was install a manifold in hot press, bring new pipework to rads and install thermostats in rooms to control Rads and try introduce some heating control.

Just be interested to know if anyone has done anything similar & how it worked out or experienced peoples opinion on my proposal..

I am not a trades man but handy enough so would be doing majority myself, brother is electrician so just paying to get a plumber for installing manifold and connecting to existing system & materials .

all opinions & comments appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 31,074 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Put in more/bigger rads downstairs, and zoned heating.

Advertisement